PS3 gets headtracking?!

T3kNi9e

Conquistador
Dec 1, 2007
Augusta, GA
First and foremost... for any mods wondering I posted this in Wii Chat instead of the PS3 forum because alot of people expected Nintendo to grab this up for their console, but ironically PS3 did it!

Last week, Sony showed off head tracking software for the PlayStation 3 using just the PS Eye camera (via MTV Multiplayer). That's right, no crazy hardware configurations devised by third parties (e.g. Johnny Lee, Electronic Arts), just software that identifies your head and its movement.

A representative said the head tracking software has not been announced for any titles, but we'd love to see it show up soon for pretty much any genre of game. Video embedded after the break. (Note: It doesn't work for users with Canada, Japan or U.K. IPs.) While you're at it, (re)watch Lee's video to get a better idea of the potential of head tracking software (also embedded after the break).

Source and Videos Here

actually the boom blox game for wii apparently uses headtracking according to the ign podcast.

Wii has a head tracking feature with its remote. That one block puzzle game w/ Steven Speilburg directing will have it as an easter egg. I can only hope developers take this into consideration :3
You can see example of it, among other sweet stuff you can do w/ the wii mote here:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/projects/wii/

You mean for the method of Johnny? the most basic thing you can do, like he said in the video, is mount the sensor bar to a hat or something w but if you happen to get some IR lights you can find some good way to work with them. I think in the Bloom Blox game you can use the remote in somewhat for head track? oO Don't know too much detail on that.

no... i've seen johnny's old video..

i meant how does the PS3 do it w/out IR headgear?!?

how can it track your head... bluescreen? wear a reflector sticker between your eyes?

hard to picture.

They are not sure head tracking will make the final cut in Bloom Blox and the preview I read on it never mentioned it. I think this will be interesting to watch develop.

You need a PS Eye camera, idjut, that tracks your head movements.

Icandy said:
They are not sure head tracking will make the final cut in Bloom Blox and the preview I read on it never mentioned it. I think this will be interesting to watch develop.

You need a PS Eye camera, idjut, that tracks your head movements.

wasnt that for the ps2? whats the point of bringing that back. well i shoudl be asking if this eye camera is anything similar to the eye toy. seems to be the same thing if you ask me. then again i haent heard much about it yet anyway.

thas said:
wasnt that for the ps2? whats the point of bringing that back. well i shoudl be asking if this eye camera is anything similar to the eye toy. seems to be the same thing if you ask me. then again i haent heard much about it yet anyway.

Funny thing is that Sony stole that idea from the game boy camera.
One idea Nintendo made that I haven't seen yet is the one where you could put your face into a game/character. No, I'm not talking about Mii's.
The Idea was that you could snap a photo of your face then apply it to a character in the game. This idea was made many years ago.

there are other devices that do what the PS Eye camera can d but advertise they van do it better! I just saw a video on ign where an independent company created the "z-cam" which although very much like the eye-toy can detect not only movement, but three dimensional space (like the wii-mote).

They touted that they potentially have the technology for a the Wii 2.0 since they took the motion controls to the next level. And interestingly enough with out any peripherals. The device alone senses your entire body and detects even delicate gestures.
But the most interesting thing I saw was the ability to set a cut ff point. Let's say you're in a crowded room and there are people walking behind you whilst you play a motion sensitive boxing title. To prevent the camera from getting confused, you can set the wavelength of the field to only reach let's say 5 feet in front of the device. So any friends who decide to jump up and down behind you in an attempt to screw up your game will not even be recognized by the device as they are beyond the range you set.

Hopefully Nintendo will have a few talks with these guys and try and negotiate a deal of some sort for future console generations.

Strange isn't it how motion sensitive gaming is all the rage right now, even though it's been around for years? I guess even technology that's declared 'obsolete' can still make a comeback if implemented cleverly and marketed tastefully enough. The wii is proof of that. And now sony wants their slice of the motion sensitive pie. I wonder if this may cause a change of course for the future of console gaming or is motion sensing just a passing fad?

That sounds great. I really don't mind which company (Sony or Nintendo) decides to take up Head-tracking, as long as the consumers, such as myself, are happy in the end. :)

Sweet this sounds like the video tracking software used in the special effect biz. I wond if a pointer will come with it because if you have no reason to move side to side then it just becomes sorta pointless. It's cool they actually got this in the eye toy. This is actually bad for MS not nintendo. People actually buy the Wii for the Wii mote which is not really the case with the eye toy right now. They even had that cool augmented reality thing for that card game that was cool but no one really bought it.

Back