PS3 Hits 10.5 Million Sold

manred

Animal Collective
Dec 30, 2007
Wherever Fate Takes Me
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
happykaz.jpg

An Associated Press business article, dedicated mostly to the impending conclusion of that stupid, distracting "format war", has buried in its conclusion some PS3 sales figures. According to the piece, Sony have now sold 10.5 million PS3 consoles since launch. Which is good news for them, as it puts them squarely on track to meet their goal of selling 11 million by the end of March, a target they set themselves last December. Oh, before you go, those who like to dabble in the odd bit of conjecture and speculation should note that it's been Sony policy for a while now to count "sold" as sold, not shipped.

Congrats PS3!

see how they made fun of 360 in the last sentance.

"sold" as sold, not shipped.

Lol. They are halfway to Nintendo. Congrats on the massive gap Sony! Looks like a two way battle between Sony and Microsoft. You know this can all end with a serious price drop on any console. If Sony keeps price dropping and Microsoft keeps making wussy price drops without the hard drive, they may lose 2nd place this year. But that's a big if.

Highest Games Sold Per console
Wii Sports sold over 19 million copies
Halo 3 sold over 7 million copies
Motor Storm sold over 2 million copies

Im actually predicting MS will end up in last place after all this. But I really don't care since MS is still making a profit so it shouldn't hurt them. I mean they're still known as the "kids" to the gaming world.

I wouldnt use Wii Sports or Motor Storm though, both were bundled with the console.

Resistance sold 2 million though, I think close to 3 mill, while SMG sold like 5 mill?

MSG4 will boost PS3 sales by atleast 2 million alone IMO. Alot of people are waiting for MGS4 alone, GOD I CANT WAIT!

You're right. Resistance is right below Motorstorm in sales. Wiisports and Motorstorm were bundles so that is a factor. Mario Galaxy is on it's way to 6 million copies. Most PS3 games never broke 800,000 copies sold. Devil May Cry 3, Heavenly Sword, Ratchet & Clank, Lair, Warhawk all sold below 1 million copies! Dismal! You don't want to know what they spent to make those games. Let's just say they didn't cover the the production costs at all ($10-$20 million per game).

T3kNi9e said:
Im actually predicting MS will end up in last place after all this. But I really don't care since MS is still making a profit so it shouldn't hurt them. I mean they're still known as the "kids" to the gaming world.

Isn't MS at 17 Million, with Nintendo at 19-20 Million though? (could be wrong).. If Microsoft ended up 3rd with a gap like that, it would have to be something pretty big..

sagema said:
Lol. They are halfway to Nintendo. Congrats on the massive gap Sony! Looks like a two way battle between Sony and Microsoft. You know this can all end with a serious price drop on any console. If Sony keeps price dropping and Microsoft keeps making wussy price drops without the hard drive, they may lose 2nd place this year. But that's a big if.

Highest Games Sold Per console
Wii Sports sold over 19 million copies
Halo 3 sold over 7 million copies
Motor Storm sold over 2 million copies
why did you do wii sports? that doesnt even count...

I'm happy for Sony. At first i thought it would be a big fat FAIL. Ever since they had that price drop, they've sold a lot. And the stores are overstocked with them too. I went to Best Buy a few days ago and there were PS3s in the music aisle. They were friggen' everywhere. It's almost like they were desperate to sell them. But still, they are doing phenomenal. Just like the X-Box 360, it was crap at first, but a year later and it has finally lived up to it's name. Kudos to you Sony!

Gikoku said:
Isn't MS at 17 Million, with Nintendo at 19-20 Million though? (could be wrong).. If Microsoft ended up 3rd with a gap like that, it would have to be something pretty big..

Yea but you have to remember that Xbox 360 has been out a year longer.

After 1 year Xbox 360 sold like 11 million
After 1 year PS3 sold 10.5 million

Looks like its pretty much the same...

Xbox made too many mistakes this generation, mainly the failure rates of the console which hurt MS's reputation severely in the gaming world and hurt its sales for potential buyers.

So I predict Xbox 360 will come in dead last out of PS3/Wii/360.

It's even highly possible MS screws Xbox owners by releasing the new console before Sony/Nintendo once again. Im predicting 2010 a new MS console being released so that would make a 5-year span just like the original Xbox. In the end I predict maybe 30 million units sold by 360, maybe less.

I could be wrong :p It's just my prediction...

T3kNi9e said:
Yea but you have to remember that Xbox 360 has been out a year longer.

After 1 year Xbox 360 sold like 11 million
After 1 year PS3 sold 10.5 million

Looks like its pretty much the same...

But that's just it, PS3 is still a year behind in sales against the 360 (unlike the Wii). If the PS3 continues at this pace, you'll be looking at no major changes in the future, .. when the 360 hits let's say.. 27 million, PS3 if it continues this pace will be at 20-22 million. It's a year behind, had they both came out at the same time they would be closely tied (and would probably stay that way). The PS3 would need to witness the same kind of sales the Wii had, in order to pass up the 360, or if the 360 witnessed a great stop in the sales number (for whatever odd reason). The 360 still has games for this year, just as the PS3 (So I don't really see the 360 slowing down yet).. not to mention there's still 2009 to look forward to.

Last edited:
I think PS3 has more staying power though. MS is always quick to jump ship into a new project (next xbox) and I think Sony's hardware is able to stay out longer. That is if its true that their hardware really is so powerful. MS is already developing games for the next console which sucks. There's supposed to be a sequel to one of the franchises for the next console. I know Fable 2 is coming to 360 so its not that. Its possible that its Gears 2.

I think we may get a tie with MS and sony this x mas. the xbox usually stalls out during some periods while the PS3 really has some hype behind it. Yet I guess we will see what FF and MG will really do for the system. So many games should have sold more than they are selling on the PS3 though. At least online the tied has turned in Sony's favor yet after seeing some many titles just get around 1 million units I wonder if these 1 million players are the same guys on the net waiting for games? I guess we will never know. This sorta reminds me of new GPU card day when every one is hyped about a new video card yet hardly any one really goes out to get it due to the price of it.

T3kNi9e said:
I think PS3 has more staying power though. MS is always quick to jump ship into a new project (next xbox) and I think Sony's hardware is able to stay out longer. That is if its true that their hardware really is so powerful. MS is already developing games for the next console which sucks. There's supposed to be a sequel to one of the franchises for the next console. I know Fable 2 is coming to 360 so its not that. Its possible that its Gears 2.

Well, Gears 2 has just been confirmed for the 360 this Holiday:

Gears 2 Confirmed

Microsoft already said they were going to wait and see how far technology has come after a few more years (2011-2012) until they make their move.

Back