PS3 Price Cut hinted at by Sony?

Shiftfallout

shiftfallout.com
Mar 9, 2007
Hollywood
A recent article surfaced not long ago at psextreme.com

Rumors of a price-drop for the PlayStation 3 have been as rampant as rumors can be. We've been getting some light confirmation of future price-cuts in store, and now we've received some more news regarding it. Sony President Ryoji Chubachi spoke to the Financial Times and informed them that Sony is "re-examining" their pricing stance.

"We are re-examining our [PS3] budgeting process in terms of pricing and volume. Sales assumptions change and the market is competitive. We are in the midst of revisiting our strategy for the PS3." Chubachi believes that Sony has managed to successfully ship 6-million PlayStation 3s worldwide before the end of their fiscal year this past March.

The Financial Times cites analysts who are claiming a $100 price-drop this Christmas, which isn't impossible considering that Sony has offered the PS3 for $500 in the form of the 20GB version. If a price-drop does occur in the near future, you're safer betting your money on a $50 price-drop than anything else.

Kazuo Hirai, president of Sony Computer Entertainment, stated yesterday that Sony expects the PlayStation 3 to outlive the Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii. "We're looking at it as a marathon rather than a sprint," said Mr Hirai. "The real test of a platform's [longevity] is in three years from now or five years from now."

This Holiday season will prove to be the most important for Sony - ever. If they time their price-drop to coincide with Grand Theft Auto 4 and the PS3's other AAA titles (Metal Gear Solid 4, Ratchet & Clank, etc.) for Winter 2007, then expect Sony to emerge as the victor of this year's Holiday season.

We all knew there would be a price cut sooner or later, it always happens. We just dont know when.

Glad I don't have to wait for the price cut I like how the say it's a marathon not a sprint I think that speaks to more than the physical life of a PS3

I love how big corporate places (not necessarily only sony) butters up all their words...."Sales assumptions change and the market is competitive" aka, the wii is kicking our butts. It's true, no matter what your stance on the two are.

But who is the Wii really competing with? 360 and PS3? nah.

The Wii is in a completely different ball game with a different product and target audience. If anything they are loving the fact that theres nothing else really like it.

Apple already announced it plans to rival nintendo in the cute console market.

paintba||er said:
I hope there is a price cut soon. I have been considering getting one for quite a while and if there was a price cut then I would probably get one.

I want one too, badly. I have 500$ so far and I'm waiting for if infact this "price cut" does occur.

Shiftfallout said:
But who is the Wii really competing with? 360 and PS3? nah.
It's a really funny issue about whether Nintendo are or are not competing with Sony. Heck, even a few quotes from Reggie Fils-Aimes makes you wonder...

“Are we feeling good about our success? Do we think we can have more success in the future? Absolutely. I do think that highlights a difference between us and our competitors: We’re not arrogant. We don’t view success as a right. We feel we need to earn success every day. And we’re going to do that by being true to the gamer.”
Source:http://www.1pstart.com/fils-aime-nintendo-is-not-arrogant/

But then President Iwata says:
"Nintendo's rivals are not other companies, but the indifference of the customers."
Source: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/...&threadid=19126&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

All very confusing...

$50 price cut won't still make me get a PS3....$100 price cut is a slight possibility, $150 price cut I will seriously consider getting on at $200 price cut I will be sprinting down to the store to get one.

paintba||er said:
I hope there is a price cut soon. I have been considering getting one for quite a while and if there was a price cut then I would probably get one.

in the UK a few places have kind of dropped the prices already to sell more....

i say kind of;

amazon are offering PS3 consoles at their normal price of £425, but now instead of just getting the console, they are giving an HDMI cable and a game of your choice (£20 cable and £40/£45 game)

GAME are giving a free HDMI cable with every console (£20)

gamestation have a PS3 console, with Xmen Blu Ray film for £399, they also have a few bundle deals that are alot cheaper than normal price.

like paintballer i am waiting for one, but i wanna see more of what home is like and waiting for some new appealing games

Back