PS3 Price Cut hinted at by Sony?

I think price cuts only occur when companies realize they can cut out a part or be able to produce them faster or cheaper. Especially with the PS3 im guessing the retail price is so high cuz of the parts obviously and to cut prices for them would send their money pile into a burning pile of flames.

They won't price drop this year, nor the next by any significant amount. If Sony was serious about a price drop they wouldn't have cancelled the $500 version.

To lose $50 on the $600 version is lame when it would mean more to just continue production of the $500 version. They clearly want more cash.

Last edited:
they cancelled the $500 because they where losing more producing that and people where not really buying that one they preferred to buy the $600

sagema said:
They won't price drop this year, nor the next by any significant amount.........

well retailers like i mentioned are in certain cases, so i guess that means the consumer gets it cheaper which is what we are after

I'm not gonna worry about how much a PS3 will cost me until Metal Gear Solid 4 comes out...then it'll be time to worry about my money. :\

revisiting their strategy??? marathon rather than a sprint????

that is rationalization at it's best.

David328ci said:
revisiting their strategy??? marathon rather than a sprint????

that is rationalization at it's best.

No it makes sense. The marathon analogy is something I used a couple months ago in a debate and its quite right.

You can start off sprinting as fast as you can, but start to slow down. While the slow guy still has stamina and his pace has not dropped, and runs passed you.
When they say they are in it for the "long run", its becomes quite literal in meaning.

Shiftfallout said:
No it makes sense. The marathon analogy is something I used a couple months ago in a debate and its quite right.

You can start off sprinting as fast as you can, but start to slow down. While the slow guy still has stamina and his pace has not dropped, and runs passed you.
When they say they are in it for the "long run", its becomes quite literal in meaning.

The analogy makes sense but the application of this in this instance is idiotic. The guy who said that is obviously trying to cover up the glaring fact that PS3 is selling the worst out of any of the game consoles on it market. There is not particular reason to think that PS3 is going to make a miraculous increase in sales either. Anyone who says that PS3 is going to be great the future is purely making a speculation.

David328ci said:
The analogy makes sense but the application of this in this instance is idiotic. The guy who said that is obviously trying to cover up the glaring fact that PS3 is selling the worst out of any of the game consoles on it market. There is not particular reason to think that PS3 is going to make a miraculous increase in sales either. Anyone who says that PS3 is going to be great the future is purely making a speculation.

Is it really the worst selling one or are you assuming so? 1. You cant expect higher priced items to sell faster than the cheaper ones. 2. the PS3, within its initial launch period has sold more than the 360 during its initial launch period. 3. taking the long term approach does not mean you have to start strong. Its obvious the system was ready but most of the amazing games were still in developement. Games take time to make, and untill the games come out, many wont get the system, even though they plan to.

So, no i do not think hes hiding or covering anything up. Why? Because they have been consistant on this before launch. They lose money on each system sold and make money on each game bought. If i were sony, I would understand that the current sales are not a bad sign since they are not losing money where there are few games to make money off of. They do plan for a strong christmas season and it shows with HOME and the Game line up they have coming out soon.

The game shops near where I live have already dropped the price, and are selling them for £399 (original price is £425 I think) as well as the uk amazon site going down to £399 on them. No surprise they are dropping the price when month after month it is getting outsold by the GBA.

Lol for real GBA or do you mean DS...lol GBA outselling it I thought they no longer make those, Havn't seen one in a while.sony has to think of a new way to sell the PS3.

price difference kids. Honda civics will sell more than a pumped up ferarri. Why? Price.

Sigh, after a couple haters leave, a couple more pop up.

Shiftfallout said:
price difference kids. Honda civics will sell more than a pumped up ferarri. Why? Price.

Sigh, after a couple haters leave, a couple more pop up.
You constantly use analogies for your arguement, but not all of them are relevant.

Assigning the analogies of cars to consoles is illogical.

We "need" cars to get around. Car's we show off to everyone in the street. You go around in a Ferrari and people will take notice. You get a certain type of "respect" when you're seen in a Ferrari. You buy a Honda Civic, you have a basic car. Looks nice and shiny but nothing special.

Now add the consoles. The consoles is first, bought for fun. They do not get you from one place to another. If a console breaks down, you cannot ring the AA and have it toed to the nearest electrical repair shop. If your console is smashed with somebody elses console, you do not swap insurance details. Sure, a specific console may cost more, but if you go up to someone with one, they're not going to think "Wow, they must be really successful". They think, "oh, they're a gamer".

Cars and consoles are very different and are owned for very different reasons. Don't believe me, try pulling up in a PS3 to go to the shops...

Back