Ps3 Price Cut Today And 80gb Model Announced

80gb, is that a joke?
please dont tell me theyre going off thinking the more gb in it, the better it sales....
80gb means nothing and competes with nothing.

sorry, shouldve read article before posting
well, if you want motorstorm then you better get the 80gb model, cause youre basically only paying $2/per gb after that (assuming the 80gb model is $600??)

Last edited:
Sovieto said:
80gb, is that a joke?
please dont tell me theyre going off thinking the more gb in it, the better it sales....
80gb means nothing and competes with nothing.

Eh it comes with Motorstorm so people will probably buy it just to have the best combo.. as long as it isnt too much more then 60gig.

But the size doesnt matter to people, or it shouldnt since u can install a laptop hdd. lol

Did you know that the 80GB version isn't going to have the Emotion Engine chip? So now it is just going to have software backward compatibility like the 360 so not everything will work and there will be problems with certain games and stuff. I think the European ones have always been like that.

Source

zeon9881 said:
whats a emotion engine chip

and whats a pal ps3
PAL is a region for Europe and stuff. The Emotion Engine chip is the thing that makes backwards compatibility work. Now it is going to pretty much be emulated. You know how not all Xbox games work on the 360 and a lot of the ones that do have some problems? The PS3 will be the same way without the Emotion Engine chip.

PtonJalken said:
You can do that? where did you buy?

I got it from Zellers. Apparently they didn't get the memo so I wasn't able to get that partial refund. I did notice that bestbuy.ca are listing them for $549. I'm going to try to see if Zellers will at least price match Best Buy. Zellers has either a 14 day or 30 day price protection policy. I'm going to try my best to get this refund.

BTW I live in Alberta, so at the time I left it was 8pm and it only takes me 10 min. to get to the closest one.

paintba||er said:
Did you know that the 80GB version isn't going to have the Emotion Engine chip? So now it is just going to have software backward compatibility like the 360 so not everything will work and there will be problems with certain games and stuff. I think the European ones have always been like that.

Source

In that case I'm not so pissed about this price drop then...even if I don't get my partial refund from Zellers...having a PS3 with the emotion engine is worth it to me.

GypsyKid said:
In that case I'm not so pissed about this price drop then...even if I don't get my partial refund from Zellers...having a PS3 with the emotion engine is worth it to me.
Well the 60GB still has the Emotion Engine. It is just the 80GB that doesn't. I assume they will take it out of the 60GB ones eventually, but they haven't yet. I would be pissed about the price drop if I hadn't got mine for $500.

zeon9881 said:
man sony please dont make the same mistake xbox did
which is??
if youre talking about the failure rate, i dont see how the ps3 is going there.

Sovieto said:
which is??
if youre talking about the failure rate, i dont see how the ps3 is going there.

OMG XD i was counting down the mnutes to come here i think it was 10

----------------------------------------------------

no, were talkin about the emotion chip

ps3 80GB dosnt have it so its gonna be like the 360, their will be updates to let ps1,ps2 games work and theirs a limited amount of em and the fact that most games will have problems

so we were talki about how if 80GB doesnt have it then 60GB will probably be taken out

Last edited:
zeon9881 said:
what graphics card does 360 have cause i was on a thread and they said ps3 has a better one

Heres the catch, the cell cpu is designed for multitasking and can dual process with the graphics card. Its a capability that the PS3 has but has not yet used. The 360 has a great graphics card, but the PS3's gpu has the long term advantage. We havent even begun to see what the PS3's gpu is capable of. In the end though, they are too close in visuals to really make a difference.

zeon9881 said:
dude sonys not losing money their gaining it now

australia is selling alot there

and why would they be desperate ps3 is a great console

and you may wnt to edit your post before a fanboy comes
im a ps3 fanboy but the good kind so you want see my trashing 360 or wii (i own a wii and i lov it to )

Australia is selling a lot there. ????

Let's get this is perspective. Australia has 20 000 000 people. America has 30 000 000. The following numbers are taken directly from VG Charts.

Recent Weekly Sales in Australia
1 - Wii - 1775
2 - 360 - 1640
3 - PS3 - 1475

Wii and Xbox 360 are selling more, just. Even though PS3 is only trailing by a small amount, it is still only selling 1475 units a week. They are selling over 17000 a week in USA. How are they making money in Australia?

I will also make the following comparisons for the PS3
USA - 300000000 people - 17900 a week - 59 units per 1000000 people per week.
UK - 60000000 people - 5500 a week - 92 units per 1000000 people per week.
Germany - 85000000 people - 2100 a week - 25 units per 1000000 people per week.
France - 64000000 people - 2700 a week - 42 units per 1000000 people per week.
Japan - 127000000 people - 9400 a week - 74 units per 1000000 people per week.
Australia - 20000000 people - 1500 - 75 units per 1000000 people per week.

Back