PS3 price drop, jan 28th?

manufan15 said:
Celestial, look at my post above yours. There is no price drop.

refer to my post above yours

ill sum it up

they always say their isnt a price drop, its for sale reasons

they said it in june, in september, for 80GB, the 40GB, hell even xbox denies it

zeon9881 said:
refer to my post above yours

ill sum it up

they always say their isnt a price drop, its for sale reasons

they said it in june, in september, for 80GB, the 40GB, hell even xbox denies it

Well, I really hope you're right. *Crosses fingers*

yes yes yes yes yes
if the ps3 drops to $300 i'll definitly be picking one up sometime this year and i'll be able to play Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, MGS, and COD4

well i'll probaly be gettin only one ps3 game when i get it so i would have to wait a while to get the rest of the ps3 games i want

zap'em up said:
yes yes yes yes yes
if the ps3 drops to $300 i'll definitly be picking one up sometime this year and i'll be able to play Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, MGS, and COD4

well i'll probaly be gettin only one ps3 game when i get it so i would have to wait a while to get the rest of the ps3 games i want

lol your exatly like me, when i got ps3 9 monthes ago i had no gams and now i only have one lol i hope they bring greatest hits

Wait if they're announcing it on the 28th, will it be in effect that day or afterward??

zeon9881 said:
lol your exatly like me, when i got ps3 9 monthes ago i had no gams and now i only have one lol i hope they bring greatest hits

lol well as long as i get the ps3 i'll be happy cuz im gettin wi-fi soon and i'll be able to play demo's and thats basicly about it but at least i'd have a ps3, but i still have metroid prime 3, LoZ, and SMG to finish and a few other wii games so im set so i can wait a while to get some ps3 games

Bliss said:
i doubt this is true...its just way to early for another price cut and they already have lost so much money...if this is true then they will be losing a lot more money..just doesnt seem right

Not really. It's probably because of the poor sells they had with the Sony PS3 because of the price, it make sense for them to reduce the price to get more people to buy it.

If this rumor is true, the PS3 will definitely overtake the other two consoles in sales. Things are looking good now and the value of even getting a blu-ray player for $400 is good. The standalone ones cost more than that.

secrecyguy said:
Not really. It's probably because of the poor sells they had with the Sony PS3 because of the price, it make sense for them to reduce the price to get more people to buy it.

actully the sale figures have increased alot, and now they dont lose oney when a ps3 is sold (actully this stopped in june, when the first price drop came) and it only cost like 400$ to manufacter a ps3 (80GB i belive)

im not sure though =-)

OK their is a new rumor, now their saying that the ps3 that releases will be ceramic white 40GB for 299$!!!! and their also saying its conterpart the 40GB black will come down to 299$ and the 80GB however will only reduce by 50$ though its still a pricedrop, im updating my first post in a abit

Last edited:
^^That would be a big help to my wallet, but poses a question of what color to get. I think I'd get the ceramic white...depends...

Some folks in the know (on an AV forum) who are good friends with BestBoob regional managers are saying existing SKU's have been DC'ed and replaced. This is for seemingly the same product (Black 40 and 80GB).

I know this is done in many cases - if this is accurate - to track a new price point (for cost management back upstream).

The next few days should be pretty interesting!

The PS3 is going to price drop 2-3 times this year with an end result of $299, or $299 with a game. Could they go lower? Probably not. If they did it would hurt Microsoft dramatically. Nintendo can doom themselves by avoiding a price drop in 2008. Their competition will be tested this year.

2008 will define the PS3.

Apparently Best Buy has stopped carrying the current 80GB Motorstorm PS3 bundle, and say they should be completely out by, you guessed it, the 28th of this month. Hmm, interesting.

Now, of course this could mean that they are bringing out a new bundle for the 80GB version. It could mean that they are coming out with a new high-end model alltogether, say 120GB perhaps. It could mean that the recent revelations of a white PS3 could come to fruition soon. Or, it could mean that the price drop is indeed true and they are fixing their skus to coincide with this. It's also highly likely the truth is a combination of the various possibilities I just stated or, on the other hand, bear no relation to any of those possibilities. It is, nonetheless, very interesting and should have people watching to see what will happen.

IcedEarth81 said:
It's also highly likely the truth is a combination of the various possibilities I just stated or, on the other hand, bear no relation to any of those possibilities.

Filed as one of the top 5 best comments ever written [in regard to videgame rumors]. Extra points for a terrifically facile delivery :D

[edit for link I just saw on engadget.com]

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/24/best-buy-quitting-the-80gb-ps3/

Back