PS3 - Price Is Right

BlackKnight5

Banisher of the Twilight.
Jan 1, 2007
Fresno, CA.
Wii Online Code
4054-9757-1074-8404
Ahem... I did NOT write this. Somebody at the gaming forum that I administrate did, in the PlayStation 3 section of the boards. Feel free to post your thoughts on what this guy said. This one made me, at least, laugh a little inside. ;)

The following data shows past systems, their US cost at the time, and with a inflation calculator, how much they would be in 2006 US Dollars. I got this info form US Official Playstation Magazine, but this is info that could be gathered anywhere - it's just a lot of news resources are failing to even talk about costs in the game industry (in general) from all view points. Anyway, this might be an eye opener for some.

Atari 2600
Units Sold: 25 Million Plus
Launch Price: $199
Cost in 2006 Dollars: $645.75

Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
Units Sold: 60 Million Plus
Launch Price: $299
Cost in 2006 Dollars: $530.62

Sega Genesis
Units Sold: 35 Million Plus
Launch Price: $199
Cost in 2006 Dollars: $310.19

SNK NeoGeo
Units Sold: N/A
Launch Price: $649.99
Cost in 2006 Dollars: $966.76

3DO
Units Sold: Under 1 Million
Launch Price: $699.95
Cost in 2006 Dollars: $920.23

Sega Saturn
Units Sold: 10 Million Plus
Launch Price: $399
Cost in 2006 Dollars: $496.42

Now let's compare to the PS3's grandfather.

Sony Playstation
Units Sold: 100 Million Plus
Launch Price: $299
Cost in 2006 Dollars: $372.01

So, time for my two cents. It seems the PS3 is on par with prices in my opinion. Especially one for being an entertainment machine - Sony wants the PS3 to be a purchase you'll be using for years to come. Yes, it's gonna be more expensive then the other systems, that is fact. But it think the consumer market hasn't realized the inflation of the dollar since the early days of gaming. Also, I think some exaggeration has been done.

Another fact to throw at you. With me being most likely the oldest member of the union, at age 22, I know that iin the years of the 80's, game systems usually never owned by owned by a kid. My Atari and NES: they were always owned "by the family." Nope - they were always owned by the family. This was mainly due to the price - that's why games for the Atari and NES were of all types - they had to please the whole family. That's one thing Sony has been known for in it's title catalog of its own titles and 3rd party. There's always been all types of games. So it seems that Sony might be going in the route that the machine is something that's bought by a family.

But also, people are able to enjoy more expensive purchases now. Look at the famous Ipod. Most new versions always cost about $299, but a ton, a absolute ton of people own a Ipod. So in end point, data seems to show that the PS3, is on par with prices, and maybe that in overview, we are actually exaggerating the cost of a PS3.
[/unquote]

While he may be right about the price not being so bad in comparison to older consoles, he's ignoring one simple fact- it doesn't matter what some console cost back in 1985 or whatever. What matters is here and now, and here and now there is a competitor (the Xbox 360) which has most of the same games and same features as a PS3, but is available for half the price. They have no new big ideas, nothing that makes it stand out from its rivals.

By the way, three of the consoles he mentioned (Neo Geo, 3DO and Saturn) were complete disasters, which should say something about the dangers of setting the cost of console too high.

Napalmbrain said:
While he may be right about the price not being so bad in comparison to older consoles, he's ignoring one simple fact- it doesn't matter what some console cost back in 1985 or whatever. What matters is here and now, and here and now there is a competitor (the Xbox 360) which has most of the same games and same features as a PS3, but is available for half the price. They have no new big ideas, nothing that makes it stand out from its rivals.

By the way, three of the consoles he mentioned (Neo Geo, 3DO and Saturn) were complete disasters, which should say something about the dangers of setting the cost of console too high.
Well put.

If you look at what the I POD can do for you vs what the PS3 can do is the reason that they sell for half the price of a PS3.

Would you take a PS3 to work with you and at the ame time go for a joke with your PS3 to listen to your music. Thought so... So lets not compare apples and oranges.

Also as for the cost of the PS3 costing so much...

Ok it my be perfectley on PAR with Historical trends in the cost of older systems. But why would any one pay that much just to say the have a PS3 made by Sony. When you can get a comperable 360 for $200.00 less or get a 360 and about 3 brand bew games? Also lets not throw out the Wii. For 1/3 or the price you can get a Wii and experince a whole new level of gameing, and hey you get a game out of the box.... Not a bad deal. And to Quote your data(or who wrote it sry if not you) the Sony Playstation reaslese price was $299.99 in 1995. Explain to me why you wouldnt want a Wii for $249.99 in 2006/2007???

Bizzle7 said:
Sorry for the Spelling I meant

"go for a *jog.

You can edit your posts.

And I agree with the ipod thing. Another example is flash drives. I mean you can buy a 200gb hard drive for the same price as a 2gb flashdrive. It's all about compact.

Bizzle7 said:
When you can get a comperable 360 for $200.00 less or get a 360 and about 3 brand bew games?

Comparable 360 is NOT $200 less. 360 actually cost more than PS3 if you compare similar specs.

20GB PS3 + Component cable = $499 + $19
360 Premium + HD-DVD = $399 + $199

If you guys think high def movie is just like DVD, you obviously haven't seen one on a proper setup. It is time to get on with the program and buy a freaking HDTV and throw away your old junkie CRT TV.

Bizzle7 said:
Explain to me why you wouldnt want a Wii for $249.99 in 2006/2007???

Wii is essentially a GameCube with a Wii Remote, Nunchuck and a sensor bar. GameCube is selling for $99, so Wii at $249.99 is NOT a bargain but a rip off.

Name just ONE Wii game that shows better graphics than a last gen games. None of the Wii games look any better than Resident Evil 4 for GC, Ninja Gaiden for Xbox or God of War for PS2.

As for games, all you can look forward to after you beat Zelda and get sick of Wii sports is endless supply of kiddie games.

Expect the same thing that happened to GameCube. First, you were bedazzled by StarWars Rouge Leader and got your hopes up. Then came tons and tons of kiddie games. There were some memorable titles in between, but there just weren't nearly enough mature games to satisfy 17+ year age demographics.

Last edited:
ddslee said:
Comparable 360 is NOT $200 less. 360 actually cost more than PS3 if you compare similar specs.

20GB PS3 + Component cable = $499 + $19
360 Premium + HD-DVD = $399 + $199

You can also look at it like this though.

What if you didn't care about better quality movies? What if you were perfectly fine with DVDs? Should you be FORCED to buy the BluRay drive?

Also, the Xbox 360 currently has more value potential. It is going to be a LONG time before there are deals on the PS3 like can be had on Xbox 360. At Microcenter for over a MONTH, there was not only a $100 mail-in rebate on the Xbox 360, but also an opportunity to get $100 off by applying for their credit card, and being approved on site.

So, for my Xbox 360, I got it for (we'll say $400 to keep the math clean)
$400 - $100 - $100 = $200

And then I proceeded to purchase the HD-DVD drive, which not only comes with a media remote, but also King Kong HD-DVD, both items which I wanted. I had a $40 off $199 or more e-coupon to Circuit City, thus...
$200 - $40 = $160.

If you want to break it down further, the media remote is $30 and the King Kong HD-DVD is $20. Since I wanted both, I see it like this:
$160 - $30 - $20 = $110 for the HD-DVD drive.

All together, I have $200 + $110 in the Xbox 360 and HD-DVD drive itself. That comes to $310. Of course, there is sales tax on the whole thing, but it's fairly low.

All together, $360 for the entire ensemble. This goes to show that there is more value potential on the Xbox 360, since the Xbox 360 has been out longer, and they are available, there's more deals on them.

Not to mention, the Xbox 360 integrates well with Windows Media Center Edition, and the iPod, for media playback on-screen, and music playback in games, respectively.

ddslee said:
If you guys think high def movie is just like DVD, you obviously haven't seen one on a proper setup. It is time to get on with the program and buy a freaking HDTV and throw away your old junkie CRT TV.
A. Nobody is saying DVD is just like High Definition. It can be upscaled though.
B. HDTV is too expensive. For what equipment you need to actually enjoy the comforts of it, it's not worth it, especially when everything is fine nowadays. Maybe when you cannot fit a movie on a single DVD disk, but not at the moment.
C. There are many people who are fine with DVD. DVD is also going quite strong, so we won't see those phased out for a while.

Wii is essentially a GameCube with a Wii Remote, Nunchuck and a sensor bar. GameCube is selling for $99, so Wii at $249.99 is NOT a bargain but a rip off.
Sure, the processing power isn't as great as the 360 or PS3, but they're still making great games for it. The core machine is better than a regular Gamecube though. On a Gamecube, could you connect wirelessly with networks or the DS (or other handheld)? The Broadway and Hollywood chips are also better than the Flipper chip. Besides, complete with the Wii comes a game, controller and Nunchuck. With the PS3, you don't even get a game. Sure, Nintendo are already making money out of it, that's because they're playing the game, not trying to dominate it. More and more the industry has been colliding with the PC market. Who would pay for a PS3, when they can have a decent PC? At least in a PC, you can upgrade it. Wii on the other hand is purely a fun machine, and was meant only as that.

Name just ONE Wii game that shows better graphics than a last gen games. None of the Wii games look any better than Resident Evil 4 for GC, Ninja Gaiden for Xbox or God of War for PS2.
So you're arguing that the best looking Gamecube games are better looking than the first wave of Wii games? Interesting how you've chosen examples of a specific type of game - graphically realistic action/shooters. If all you're after is shooters, why are you here trolling?

As for games, all you can look forward to after you beat Zelda and get sick of Wii sports is endless supply of kiddie games.
Well, that's just bull. It's the equivolent of saying that all 360 has is first person shooters.

Expect the same thing that happened to GameCube. First, you were bedazzled by StarWars Rouge Leader and got your hopes up. Then came tons and tons of kiddie games. There were some memorable titles in between, but there just weren't nearly enough mature games to satisfy 17+ year age demographics.
Yes because over 17's only play games that have blood, gore and killing in don't they? /sarcasm

I ask again, this is a respectable place where people can discuss the Wii. Most people on here like the Wii, and saying stuff the way you did was just flamebaiting. If you have nothing constructive to add, leave.

Last edited:
Why is it that everyone who tries to make there case for sony....fails to understand how unwidespread high definition movies. There is a reason why consoles and pc games didn't use DVD's when they initially hit the market. For one the cost of production, and two, everyone has that mindset of "I'll wait the price is going to drop."

vagrant said:
everyone has that mindset of "I'll wait the price is going to drop."

Yeah. I hate that mindset. That's why technology doesn't pick up ultra fast. If you have that attitude, then you never buy stuff. Enjoy VHS. :lol:

Also people have this idea that upconversion DVD players actually "magically" add data to DVDs. Best Buy and Circuit City break people, sometimes.

There's a big difference between HD-DVD/BluRay and Upconverted DVDs. One has HD textures and resolution, the other just has HD resolution. The textures are still SD on DVD.

I'd just like to point out that every system priced over $400 to ever be released has failed. It doesn't matter how powerful they were or how much potential they had, they all failed.

Back