PS3, Xbox 360, Wii can’t hold a match to old-school game systems

vashivihan

Let There Be Rock
Oct 24, 2007
canada
Wii Online Code
8799-9801-1544-7718
While the rest of the gaming world is engaged in a viciously heated battle over which game console rules supreme, there is a group of silent gamers that goes about its business without a word. Those mysterious few are gamers who don’t buy into the hype of the “next-gen” war — for them, the best consoles are the ones no longer in production.

John Colonna, recent college graduate and long-time gamer, doesn’t have a lot of time to sit around gaming. Just married and employed, he’s spread thin and looking forward to his first paid vacation.

That doesn’t mean he doesn’t find a way to squeeze in a few minutes here and there to game, though. What might surprise most people is that his few minutes aren’t spent on World of Warcraft, Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, Super Smash Brothers, or any of the other outrageously popular games of the moment — Colonna pops in a copy of Donkey Kong Country into his SNES and goes to town.

You’d probably be even more suprised to learn that Colonna is a proud PS3 owner. When asked which system he prefers, Colonna answers, “My Super Nintendo, hands down.”

Here are the games he lists as his favorite for SNES:

1. All the Donkey Kong Country’s
2. Yoshi’s Island
3. Super Mario World
4. Super Mario Kart
5. Mortal Kombat 3
6. NBA Jam, Tournament Edition

That might leave a lot of readers wondering, “Why is a grown man spending his time on all those old kids games?” You’re answer is this — all those “old” games are arguably more exciting and challenging than most games on the market today.

That doesn’t just go for the Super Nintendo; think back to the Sonic games for Sega Genesis or many of the other popular games back when cartridges were the “new hotness.” Those games provided real challenges that took repetition and practice…even without save points, there isn’t anything much more exhilarating than beating that one level you’ve been failing for a while now.

Let’s face it: new games are designed to be challenging, but are inevitably easily beaten in comparison to some of the older games. There just isn’t the same satisfaction to beating the newer games as there was to the older games.

I’d be the first in line to buy a Super Nintendo if they were redistributed. Sure, they don’t have fantastic graphics…but graphics aren’t everything, as Wii owners know. If you’re looking for some good addictive fun, why not try John’s method — buy an old console on eBay and try your hand at some genuinely challenging and addictive games.
StatCounter - Free Web Tracker and Counter

i have respect for such people. linkage

That was a poorly written article.

I'm not "wondering" why he's still playing the old-school "kids games." Like myself, he grew up in that era so naturally he would have a tendency to prefer the older systems. What is there to wonder about?

Add if he prefers the older systems so much, why does the writer go out of his way to point out that he's a "proud PS3 owner"? If he never plays it, why is he proud of owning one? For that matter, why did he buy one?

Speaking of "guy"...who is this guy he keeps referring to? A recent college grad? Great source material. Take one random guy to support your article and say, "See! I told you old systems are the best! LOLOLOL" I'm a recent college grad myself and I would rather play Metroid Prime 3 over Donkey Kong Country any day. He could have at least taken a poll with a bigger sample than one person.

Older games are harder to beat than new ones? I can beat Super Mario Bros. in under 6 minutes. Most NES games can be beaten easily in under an hour. How is beating Twilight Princess easier than the original Zelda?

Old games also have save files. So...yeah. Wrong again.

I'm 25 and have been playing video games since the age of 4. I grew up with NES, SNES, and Sega. Would I say Wii is the best Nintendo yet? I don't know. It's only been a year and 1/2 since it came out. I do know that Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3 and Super Mario Galaxy are some of the best games I have ever played. Super Metroid, Super Mario 3 and Yoshi's Island are also some of the best.

It's fun to debate which system is the best, but you can't just arbitrarily say "older systems are more exciting and challenging."

Really, really stupid article.

UPDATE: I tried posting this in the comments section and it was taken down.

Last edited:
i completely agree with the article i find that old systems such as NES, SNES, N64 are much more exciting..

1 guys opinion matters this much?
the SNES had a whole generation, this generation is only 2 or so years in..

I dont think the older systems are more exciting. I love my old games but they're not more exciting. Most likely the guy has a huge case of nostalgia and probably doesn't even know wtf "Nostalgia" means. I play my old games some time to time, hell about a week ago I played through Super Punch Out in a few hours with some breaks. I also played all through Donkey Kong Country like two weeks ago in about 2-3 days.

The games are not more challenging, chances are the guy still sucks at the games lol. They are still very fun, but after playing the games again recently I realized how easy the old games are. Also, don't think ive been playing it alot and im just good at them. I haven't played Super Punch Out in like 2 years and Donkey Kong Country I haven't played in years... I just popped out the old console when my 360 broke.

Besides... Why is that really suprising? It doesn't suprise me at all... This is shown at how many people download Virtual Console games on the Wii and Arcade games on the 360/PS3.

T3kNi9e said:
I dont think the older systems are more exciting. I love my old games but they're not more exciting. Most likely the guy has a huge case of nostalgia and probably doesn't even know wtf "Nostalgia" means. I play my old games some time to time, hell about a week ago I played through Super Punch Out in a few hours with some breaks. I also played all through Donkey Kong Country like two weeks ago in about 2-3 days.

The games are not more challenging, chances are the guy still sucks at the games lol. They are still very fun, but after playing the games again recently I realized how easy the old games are. Also, don't think ive been playing it alot and im just good at them. I haven't played Super Punch Out in like 2 years and Donkey Kong Country I haven't played in years... I just popped out the old console when my 360 broke.

Besides... Why is that really suprising? It doesn't suprise me at all... This is shown at how many people download Virtual Console games on the Wii and Arcade games on the 360/PS3.

What is funny is I would love a hand drawn sam showdown or even a 2d mario 3 sequel. Seriously the old systems crush the new systems game play wise, even in game selection. Better level design catering for a type of game play and even more imaginative art hello no polygon counts! I mean really delete every thing pre PS and gaming would be lame except for the PC. I've never been so bored watching others play a game than currently what my friend have shown me. Back in the days these games had to attract gamers off the street. Now we just get some specs and screen shots LOL.

I wonder how many new comers that bought a system this gen are really as hook as most gamers where when we first played a nes or atari? Trading in a game yeah right. Every game I own is worth owning even if I can beat it! Gaming was about playing a game over and over. Some games had great stories simply because you pulled teeth to see every cut scene and the game play added to the story in a very cool way. Some times I wonder why this stuff is even missing from gaming today?

I remember renting every thing before I bought it...LOL yet still buying a large number of games back then. So it feel weird to not care what is coming out some times on some platforms. Are the old school games that hard? Maybe but that was part of the fun wasn't it? How can you be hardcore and not be good at gaming?

Really play super ghouls and ghost, ninja spirts, super r-type and r-type 3. I also have to give square a pat on the back for making buy einhander 3 times until I beat it. Seriously the cool side of gaming lies with the force! Total domination of a game is where it's at. I mean really battle toads on the nes and SNES are great fun games. I could go on but really you have no idea what you missed if you think these games are even close to the oldies.

If I remember correctly high scores and skill was greater than any story. This is the main reason why AI and level design and dogged so badly these days. Yet the current gen has it's gems. The future has always had a lot to live up to.

Your whole huge post is meaningless. How the hell can you say gameplay was better back then... All you did was run and jump, some games you shoot. Stupid ass shut up

T3kNi9e said:
Your whole huge post is meaningless. How the hell can you say gameplay was better back then... All you did was run and jump, some games you shoot. Stupid ass shut up

LOL So what do you do now? Wait FPS, jump, look, move forward and shoot...ok check... try that in the old school games I mentioned. You have kid Icarus LOL as your frigging avatar...LOL It may be from brawl but I have to ask have you ever beat it... nope... Come on if you are still playing super punch out and not the old one then you post about DK country. Yeah those games where made easy for you guys. Yeah thats some heavy lifting their kid. Try some star fox one or some thing. Hell street fighter 2 the first one on hard...LOL

Fun times...

O yeah sorry to post a reply to you man I didn't realize you was going to get all angry. If it's too long then don't read it , you will not hurt my feelings. I'm just stuck here rendering stuff and wasting time.

Last edited:
WTF are you talking about LOL... You are making little to no sense at all, you are just ranting on.

It's easy to say you just "jump, look, move foward and shoot"

No sorry thats not all you do... I want to see you be able to ride on a vehicle shooting a gun while teammates are passagers and someone is shooting a chaingun off of it while some guy is shooting RPGs at you.

Shut the hell up, Do you see any old games giving you the ability to do things you can do on God of War? Current Zelda games? Seriously shut the hell up.

and no I never played Kid Icarus, I tried the old game and it sucks, it was boring.

Just because you suck at older games doesn't make it more challenging... or else my dad would be able to play Call of Duty 4 with me, but he cant... because in his own words "the old games were easy back then"

You are an idiot, of course youre gonna like the older games, but just because you like it better doesn't mean ****. Thats just like when some old bastard says that the music these days are trash and no there's nothing like 50's music. Shut up you stupid ass and get real.

T3kNi9e said:
WTF are you talking about LOL... You are making little to no sense at all, you are just ranting on.

It's easy to say you just "jump, look, move foward and shoot"

No sorry thats not all you do... I want to see you be able to ride on a vehicle shooting a gun while teammates are passagers and someone is shooting a chaingun off of it while some guy is shooting RPGs at you.

Shut the hell up, Do you see any old games giving you the ability to do things you can do on God of War? Current Zelda games? Seriously shut the hell up.

and no I never played Kid Icarus, I tried the old game and it sucks, it was boring.

Just because you suck at older games doesn't make it more challenging... or else my dad would be able to play Call of Duty 4 with me, but he cant... because in his own words "the old games were easy back then"

You are an idiot, of course youre gonna like the older games, but just because you like it better doesn't mean ****. Thats just like when some old bastard says that the music these days are trash and no there's nothing like 50's music. Shut up you stupid ass and get real.

my whole point was game play- We didn't need effects to tell us it was a good game.

Easy my ass....LOL seriously COD4 is more exciting than contra? I guess so? If you must have team mates and such but here is a secret I've been playing these type of games for a while. Yeah seeing a driver and your change gunner... I get a hard on every time. Are you even ranked in COD4? Your day yeah ok.... this conversation is over ok?

COD4 is only exciting if you it's your first real team based FPS. I'm glad your enjoying it though. Try not to get raped! It is a good game though your father may just suck?I'm not your dad and I'm actually very good at FPS and most games I play. No one is talking about 50's music so really stop talking like your still on live ok because you sound just as lame here as you would there.
I'm play crysis LOL really and I play COD4 on the PC... along with quake wars and the old quake 3 I rank 1 to 1st on almost every match...LOL. Seriously you need to shut up ok? It's opinions, I mean hell WTF is wrong with you? Your opinion means about as much as mine so really I'm just wasting time here and get a life? Seriously if your having problems then try not to event on me ok find some one to talk to or get a girl friend? Or maybe thats the problem but who knows? DUDe you have 1,991 post here and you joined in 2007 dec....the same time as me LOL and your telling me to get a life? Hey thats not a problem for me but what about you? Really you need to chill you are not getting any points for getting all prissy online. I love my old school games you should already know that hell some of them need to bring some of that game play to the new stuff!

WiitnessID said:
my whole point was game play- We didn't need effects to tell us it was a good game.

Thats why people shat their pants at the sight of Super Mario 64 and loved it. The graphics enhanced the gameplay. It made new possibilities in many ways. 3d was a milestone in gaming. It gave space to games. Best thing to happen since sliced bread.

WiitnessID said:

Easy my ass....LOL seriously COD4 is more exciting than contra? I guess so? If you must have team mates and such but here is a secret I've been playing these type of games for a while. Yeah seeing a driver and your change gunner... I get a hard on every time. Are you even ranked in COD4? Your day yeah ok.... this conversation is over ok?

COD4 is only exciting if you it's your first real team based FPS. I'm glad your enjoying it though. Try not to get raped! It is a good game though your father may just suck?I'm not your dad and I'm actually very good at FPS and most games I play. No one is talking about 50's music so really stop talking like your still on live ok because you sound just as lame here as you would there.
I'm play crysis LOL really and I play COD4 on the PC... along with quake wars and the old quake 3 I rank 1 to 1st on almost every match...LOL. Seriously you need to shut up ok? It's opinions, I mean hell WTF is wrong with you? Your opinion means about as much as mine so really I'm just wasting time here and get a life? Seriously if your having problems then try not to event on me ok find some one to talk to or get a girl friend? Or maybe thats the problem but who knows? DUDe you have 1,991 post here and you joined in 2007 dec....the same time as me LOL and your telling me to get a life? Hey thats not a problem for me but what about you? Really you need to chill you are not getting any points for getting all prissy online. I love my old school games you should already know that hell some of them need to bring some of that game play to the new stuff!

Lol, gotta love idiots who have no defense in what they saying so they just talk random ****. You are not even making points to anything. It got to the point where your stuck "Damn, how can I counter... ****, Ive got nothing, time to talk random ****"

First of all, YES Call of Duty 4 is waaay more exciting than Contra ever was and im not talking about online im talking about the campaign. Btw, my older brother who is locked up never gets to play games and hardly did anyway. I send him Contra for the DS and he beat it fast, so I doubt it's very hard, even now. And yes, i did play Contra back in the day, I beat it also...

2nd, Im actually good at Call of Duty 4 so that was pretty pointless... Most of the time im #1 in the game so yeah... I rare get owned lol... Maybe if you would have said Halo 3, then yea I get owned on that cuz I suck at it. But Call of Duty 4? Nope, im good at it and my Kill ratio keeps going up every day I play it...

and your whole last paragraph was just complete and utter random rant. You have no idea wtf your talking about. Me having alot of posts is about the only thing you got right. I don't know where the "Im ranked 1st" came from, because who the hell said anything about that? I said you must suck at the old games if you think they are harder lol...

Oh and btw, it's not really hard to get these many posts when alot of most posts are either antagonizing or helping people. Which I guess no one minds because I get repped for it lol. I go to college and I work, so yea I have a life... Besides, whoever said get a life? I said get REAL lol.

YES, you are getting pissed off because you are ranting more and more about **** that has nothing to do with what im saying.

P.S. The only classic games I like are games I used to play when I was little, any other game like Metroid Prime (I tried this game like 3 weeks ago) is boring to me. Classic games are fun because of nostalgia, only difference is I acknowledge that fact.

Monsteroids said:
Thats why people shat their pants at the sight of Super Mario 64 and loved it. The graphics enhanced the gameplay. It made new possibilities in many ways. 3d was a milestone in gaming. It gave space to games. Best thing to happen since sliced bread.

and you know what? He knows this, he's just being a dick and doesn't want to admit he made a mistake. He always tries to get people to see things his way because he can't stand being wrong. This is the main reason why I said something to him in the first place because he's such an easy target.

T3kNi9e said:
and you know what? He knows this, he's just being a dick and doesn't want to admit he made a mistake. He always tries to get people to see things his way because he can't stand being wrong. This is the main reason why I said something to him in the first place because he's such an easy target.

I bet HE shat his pants at the sight of SM64. :lol:

lol I'm good at Halo 3 and suck at CoD4. Total reverse.

Back