PSP - Movie Question

Haz

Nintendo Encyclopedia
Nov 22, 2006
England, UK
Hey all,

Just a quick question to anyone who has a PSP.

My boss bought one for her kid in the USA, however she lives in the UK. As the UMDs are region locked is there any legal place to download PSP movies?

In addition, is there a way to remove the region lock from the PSP?

Cheers guys.

Haz

theres two things you can do and both are recommended.

1. downgrade the psp and install the user made custom firmware on it. Very easy to do.

2. buy a big memory stick, they are pretty cheap. 2gigs is like $30 here.

So now with that memory stick, you can put whatever you want on there. Movies, shows, music. Basically you just hook your psp up to a computer, the computer recongnizes the PSP and lets you access it like you would a USB memory stick. Drag the files you want into it and BAM done. This is better because using the memory stick extends the battery life as well.

It is also possible to put old nes games, snes games, playstation 1 games..ect on the psp using this method and play them.

Read the psp-hacks.com forum for more. Great mod community and its really not as hard as it sounds.

Is it all legal though?

My boss signed up to PSP Blender.com and wonders if it's legal or not?

Depends on what you do. Like a computer, you have the power to do both illegal and legal things. Like you can easily back up your own movies onto a computer and watch them, or shows that have not been licensed in your area.

I dont know much about psp blender, but if its any indication, it might be the psp version of ipod videos service which does something similar.

They charge a one off fee and then you have access to unlimited games and movies.

Not a good idea...

Firmware is really tricky... i'd suggest importing the UMDs from the US (ebay?)

If you do the downgrade wrong then there's a change it could brick your console (the flash memory becomes corrupt and the console is hence unplayable).

I think an official sony update will allow you to play .mp4 psp movies legally without any kind of downgrade procedure, infact its an update procedure ^^.

Also with the downgrade procedure you need a un-patched version of GTA: Vice liberties stories... and if your PSP is version 3 (or something) it cannot be downgraded as sony put in a hidden tweak in those versions to stop this patch from being exploited...

I don't own a PSP but i was asked to downgrade a PSP for somebody... but i refused to do it as i didn't want to be held responsible for any damages =/

=| Whatever

the_flood502 said:
Not a good idea...

Firmware is really tricky... i'd suggest importing the UMDs from the US (ebay?)

If you do the downgrade wrong then there's a change it could brick your console (the flash memory becomes corrupt and the console is hence unplayable).

I think an official sony update will allow you to play .mp4 psp movies legally without any kind of downgrade procedure, infact its an update procedure ^^.

Also with the downgrade procedure you need a un-patched version of GTA: Vice liberties stories... and if your PSP is version 3 (or something) it cannot be downgraded as sony put in a hidden tweak in those versions to stop this patch from being exploited...

I don't own a PSP but i was asked to downgrade a PSP for somebody... but i refused to do it as i didn't want to be held responsible for any damages =/

=| Whatever

nah, thats how they USED to do it.

It is completely different now, and very easy. The custom firmware is actually better than Sony's version, and once you get the custom firmware installed, your psp is brickproof.

Shiftfallout said:
nah, thats how they USED to do it.

It is completely different now, and very easy. The custom firmware is actually better than Sony's version, and once you get the custom firmware installed, your psp is brickproof.

OH! custom firmware... i thought you were talking about downgrading to 1.5 original firmware.

Haz said:
But is all this legal?

Yes

Back