PSP or DS?

JeremyGTS

WiiChat Member
Dec 19, 2006
Hi I was thinking of getting back into the handheld games and im at a stand still over which i should get the PSP or the DS?

ive read a few reviews and comparisons but still cant come to a conclusion i know the PSP is great for media and the games are pretty good but also the DS i think has more games for it but also more games geard towards kids or old folks.

id like to hear from both sides here if possible.

sorry to post in PS3 but didnt know where else to put this post.
mods move if theres a better spot.

Personally, I think the DS is the best system.

Many of the multimedia functions included in the PSP have found their way to the DS. Many are third party peripherals but I hear that the DS makes great use of them.

The games for the DS, In my opinion, are some of the best experiences you will ever have. Its a new way to play the games that we all have become familiar with. Also the games are pretty amazing in terms of the use of the touch screen.

Zelda Phantom hourglass is a must play! I currently have about 30 DS games and 8 Wii games.

Since the Wii came out, I kinda retired my DS but when the good games come out that I like to play, my DS is pulled out and played again!

My nephew has a PSP. Its a slick system, but I most perfer the DS. It just has capabilities that the PSP just can't match with its multimedia functions.

Again this is just my opinion, but I feel you can't go wrong with a DS!

To be honest, for gaming purposes I don't think much of either, as the DS is plagued with gimmicks, and the PSP is Plagued with shite. The DS does have some great games (New super mario bros, Zelda Phantom hourglass), is compatable with GBA games, most of which are better than DS ones and is cheaper.

I guess really it boils down to wheather you want media rather than a pure gaming machine, in which case PSP is the way to go, or wheather you want a cheap handheld system with a handful of great games, in which case get a DS. It's entirely a matter of preference.

You know its funny how everyone always associates Nintendo Products as gimmicky!

Like you said its a matter of preference.

If you wish for a portable gaming experience unlike anything else on the market, and one of the fastest selling systems in the world, than DS is your system of choice.

I would rather you call the DS a piece of Sh#%, than a gimmick.

It you want the same old 20 years of gaming with a wider screen and improved graphics, than PSP is for you.

But if you want a great portable gaming machine with unmatched potentially, and a Sh$% load of Games to play with amazing control potential and a host of add on features, than the DS is most def the system you want.

You misunderstand me. I am not suggesting that the DS itself is gimmicky, what I'm saying is that it has about a million cheaply made 3rd party games, (Brain training for example), and multi format games that have touch screen controlls tacked on. These are the gimmicks I refer to. I'm not saying gimmicks are necessarily bad (Let's face it the Wario Ware series is all about gimmicks) but what I object to is that these make up about 70% of the DS's games library rather than what I would considor to be 'Proper games'.

Make no mistake, the DS is certainly not a piece of shite.

Last edited:
I wasn't really tryna be mean!:lol:

If just seems alot of people just don't like Nintendo. I was just acting like a fanboy, which I am.:lol:

You are right in terms of many of the games. Developers sometimes just want to make a quick buck. It happens with all systems.

But I have played some great games on the DS!

you should try and get both. there are some really good games for both handhelds. if i had to choose, i'd pick a psp for myself.

get a PSP unless you like just playing games. PSP you can surf the net, listen to internet radio stations, watch movies and mp3's and also play games along with other stuff. Way more cool stuff on the PSP. Just my opinion.

i've owned both, i've sold both too. the DS was a great system but if i ever buy another handheld again (probably will, i have a bad habbit of selling then rebuying gaming items) ill go with the PSP. once you play all the good games on ds (for me there werent many) it's just boring. PSP offers more games for my age. plus i love movies and PSP has plent of them.

You have great games for the PSP, like SOCOM: Tactical Assault, the Syphin Filter series, Star Wars Battlefront Series, and alot of exculsives. You also get the multimedia stuff, internet radio, and a better internet browser than the DS. So if you like FPS/TPS, action, and fighting go for the PSP. If you like puzzel, adventure, kiddy stuff, go for the DS.

Do any of you have the media manager program and have a serial # you could share?? I downloaded it from sony but its pointless without the serial. Why even offer the download if you need the number. Lame to me. help me out.

I have both. I honestly like them both but I have a hard time finding a game on the PSP that I can really enjoy. Personally for me I like playing games along the lines of Thrillville and Smackdown Vs Raw on the PSP then I do playing them on PS2 or PS3. I tried GTA Liberty City on PSP and it was good but I don't think a game like that is suited for a PSP experience. With that being said I very much enjoy every game I have played on the DS. I find myself playing that system more and more everyday, even more than my Wii and PS3. But again like someone said it comes down to personal preference.

I am an owner or a PSP Slim and a DS Lite. I find myself playing the PSP Slim more often mostly because I prefer the games on the system. Don't get me wrong though, the DS also has an excellent game lineup.

PSP is more of a portable media device while the DS is strictly a portable gaming console.

My DS stopped connecting to the internet due to my Verizon Fios router, so that immediately stopped my enjoyment. I now own a PSP, but I got kind of bored with it so I'm selling it on eBay with a couple games. I don't really know, but I'll go with the PSP as it probably has better games if you're into FPS's, sports, and such.

Back