Public School Vs. Homeschool

CantGetAWii

WiiChat Member
Dec 22, 2006
WiiChat
Wii Online Code
3099-0319-5478-2979
I was just wondering, if you felt that one has an advantage over the other?

Like with Public schools, people are faced with problems like Drugs, Gangs etc. and Homeschool you don't experience that in person, you see it on TV or hear about it etc. But maybe being exposed to it early on is better?

Or another thing to think about, communication.
Being in a class full of people helps you communicate and develop different skills, things that homeschooling may not have exactly. The skills learned with interaction help further you in life and what not. Also, most homeschooling kids become more self dependent and shy, which is not always a good thing.

So which one gets the edge, use those scenarios as guidelines or make up situations and examples on your own.

You missed out boardin school

Meh back in my day we didnt have all this knife gang stuff
Just two lads beatin the shite outa each other till a teacher came allong

damn3ar6.jpg

Im startin to sound old
I blame there music
Just a load of nosie

Well I was home educated until I started primary halfway through year 5. Then got a scholarship for my highschool. And when I did go to school, I was very shy and didn't know what to do. But now I miss the freedom of home education.

Most parents couldn't be bothered to have their children home educated these days anyway.

Depends who you are, but they both have pros and cons. Like getting a reputable HSC without actually going to highschool...

Public school gets people socialized and can also help build character. Most homeschoolers I've met are shy and fragile people and hard to get socialized. Most I've met still clutch on their family even in high school. Of course this isn't the case for everyone so all I can say is I dunno but I liked playing games at lunch like CounterStrike, or Starcraft, or even Trackmania. InfoTech Games clubs rule!!!

I'm home schooled, and have been for a very long time, and from what I learned in school (when I went kindergarten to 7th grade) I can tell I'm learning in more detail, my grades have improved from Bs and Cs to A-s and A+s, My science book now has the greatest system of keeping my attention, when I read then anwser questions it seems like I can't forget it.

Once I became home schooled I kind of got shy, but then I volunteered down at an animal shelter and helped customers and within 2 weeks I could talk to anyone and make jokes.

I'm private schooled, but I guess the closest would be to public school, so I agree with monstroids on this one.

I think Public School is better because you can actually interact with other people, and have peers. While being home schooled you can only talk with you Mum, or teacher. I guess if you want an active social life public school is your best bet, but if you're a loner and love your Mum then get home schooled. And you can stay away from drugs in public school/high school. It just takes a little extra effort.

Last edited:
It depends on the whole situation, but I'd probably have to say going to school would be the better option.

Home schooling basically means the kid is missing out on a social life, hence they don't learn about working and interacting with other people (a pretty essential skill in most jobs).

Napalmbrain said:
Home schooling basically means the kid is missing out on a social life, hence they don't learn about working and interacting with other people (a pretty essential skill in most jobs).

Popular misconception. Homeschool kids normally know how to interact with people better then Government School kids- I have never gotten a handshake from anyone that wasn't homeschooled. Its a pity how demonized Homeschooling is, I feel its really the best way to go at this point in time, because of the failure of the Government education.

I have been homeschooled my whole life, and I like it. I don't have any distractions to school which is good I think, though I am self taught now, my teachers can focus on me alone, instead of a class of too many kids.

Social life is no problem for homeschoolers, many are a part of a homeschool group that meets regularly, and most use email, texting, etc just like anyone else nowadays. I and many others work outside of the home too, so I do know many people.

Hah, I went to a public school and still managed to turn out antisocial. I'm the eldest, so I haven't been chucked in with a bunch of kids before, and I never really got used to it. In fact, I just don't get along with a lot of people, it's just your preference. Seeing as I was never so loud I could never talk to the teachers, and my social skills with adults absolutely perished there.

I think I'll write more later, busy now. D:

The L.S said:
Popular misconception. Homeschool kids normally know how to interact with people better then Government School kids- I have never gotten a handshake from anyone that wasn't homeschooled. Its a pity how demonized Homeschooling is, I feel its really the best way to go at this point in time, because of the failure of the Government education.

I have been homeschooled my whole life, and I like it. I don't have any distractions to school which is good I think, though I am self taught now, my teachers can focus on me alone, instead of a class of too many kids.

Social life is no problem for homeschoolers, many are a part of a homeschool group that meets regularly, and most use email, texting, etc just like anyone else nowadays. I and many others work outside of the home too, so I do know many people.

Nice, thoughtful reply from someone with hands on experience. I have some interest in this for the future, so I think this is a terrific thread! I'm waiting for dakuda's perspective on this since he is a teacher.

Cloudski said:
To be honest I don't see why people care if drugs are in the school or not, just don't get involved and it won't affect you. :)

Exactly. And I seriously doubt no one does drugs in your school Apple Guy. Unless you're in elementary school, because in high school at times all I can smell is pot.

Back