Question about ethernet cord type

Jatycre

WiiChat Member
Dec 25, 2006
Wii Online Code
0360-6187-8889-2400
Ok, so I've gotten my Wii online, and it's great. I've got a bit of a problem though. The only way I can get my Wii to connect, is to plug it directly into my cable modem (I'm using the unoffical USB to ethernet adapter). If try and keep my internet running through my pc, and run my Wii to a second network card, it can't connect. My PC will even show that, that particular network connection has nothing, no connectivity. So I'm just wondering if I should be using a standard ethernet cable for this type of connection, or a crossover? If anyone knows, that would be a lot of help to me. What am I doing wrong?

The type of cable shouldn't be the problem. There's no reason that a standard CAT5/6 ethernet cable wouldn't work, and also no reason that you'd need to use a crossover. No, with what you are doing the reason that nothing is happening is because your Wii is connected to your PC and your PC to the internet, but there is nothing linking the Wii to the internet. What might fix this is to open up the connections windows on your PC highlight both connections, right-click and select 'Bridge Connection'. This assumes you are using Windows. I know it works using a PS2, as well as using multiple PCs but I've never tried with a Wii. Hope that helps :p

The guy isn't using a router at all, just two NICs on his PC. And bridging the connections shouldn't interfere with anything in Windows, but using the net on your Wii might slow down your PCs connection, depending on your bandwidth.

I tried bridging the connections, didn't work. Error code 51420. The thing is, for my Wii to pc connection, it never says anything on the PC but "a network cable is unplugged". It's not though. And I know the adapter works, because like I said going from the cable modem to the Wii directly, the Wii can connect.

Sounds like you are going to need to buy a router then :( From what you are saying, it doesn't look like your PC can connect to your Wii. It might not be able to handle the requests etc that the Wii is producing, I'm not sure on details. One thing you could do is check that the second ethernet cable you are using is working properly. If the cables are fine, looks like getting a wifi router is your best bet.

wiifreek said:
Hmm could of sworn I said that already :) Routers are cheap now !!
Lol, you were right :p I was just trying to help him with what he actually asked :p

bridge the two network cards in the computer (select them both, right click, and choose "bridge"). You will probably need a crossover cable, but possibly not. Better yet, get a router, wheter wired or wireless.

To run between two NIC's you will need a crossover cable, otherwise the NIC's will show as not connected.

That depends... If at least one of the NICs is UCR Auto Sensing (many newer NICs are), a crossover cable is not required. However, traditionally NIC to NIC connections (a peer-to-peer network) do indeed require a crossover cable.

Ok, thanks guys. I had a hunch that a crossover cable was needed, as it's need for the same type of connection for an original Xbox. It's not needed for an Xbox 360 with that connection for some reason though.

JoeTheZombie said:
That depends... If at least one of the NICs is UCR Auto Sensing (many newer NICs are), a crossover cable is not required. However, traditionally NIC to NIC connections (a peer-to-peer network) do indeed require a crossover cable.

What is UCR Auto Sensing? Do you have any links? I thought auto sensing was to do with working out speed and duplex settings automatically?

UCR = Universal Cable Recognition; the capability is specified in the 1000BASE-T specification, so straight through cables will work in almost all situations when using newer devices. They automatically apply an internal crossover, but only when necessary.

Specific vendors have their own terms to describe this functionality. Netgear calls it "Auto Uplink and Trade" and others call it MDI/MDI-X or UCR/AS.

Thanks for that. So as long as one NIC is a GB NIC and has the Universal Cable Recognition you can use a standard cable.

Back