Question about the new 4.0 update

paqman

WiiChat Member
Apr 17, 2009
So I need to free up some space on my Wii, and I'd like to start putting downloaded games on my SD card, but is there a way to copy the entire games from my Wii, not just the saves, to my SD card? Or do I have to re-download them directly to the card? If so, am I able to re-download games I've already purchased without having to pay for them again?

1. The saves are part of the game.
2. You do not have to pay to re-download games.

1. The saves are part of the game.
2. You do not have to pay to re-download games.

Thanks for the quick response. I realize that the saves are part of the game, but what I meant was, up until this new update, all you could store on the SD cards were the saves. You couldn't store the entire games on there. (without a hack). So now that we can store the whole games on the cards, is there a way to move the whole game from my system to the card, or do I have to re-download?

But since you say we don't have to pay to re-download, I guess it's not a big deal, as long as my saves will work with the new download.

You could always copy WiiWare and VC games to an SD card even before this update. You just had to manually copy them back before you could play them.

You could always copy WiiWare and VC games to an SD card even before this update. You just had to manually copy them back before you could play them.

it wouldn't let me copy any games before, only the saves. I have World of Goo and Lost Winds, and neither of them would let me copy the whole games off. But I'll try again and see what happens.

Thanks.

Also, I just realized that on the games I already have downloaded, when I go to the Wii shop channel, it shows those games as "downloaded" and doesn't give me a download link. If I delete one of those games, will it recognize that it's gone, and give me an opportunity to re-download it? I'm just nervous to delete them without assurity that I can re-download them for free.

Also, I just realized that on the games I already have downloaded, when I go to the Wii shop channel, it shows those games as "downloaded" and doesn't give me a download link. If I delete one of those games, will it recognize that it's gone, and give me an opportunity to re-download it? I'm just nervous to delete them without assurity that I can re-download them for free.

Yes. You can delete ANY content you have paid for and downloaded, and you will not get charged again. Once you delete it, the word downloaded will change to downloadable I believe, if I recall correctly. At any rate you can re-download, without paying for the content again.

Yes. You can delete ANY content you have paid for and downloaded, and you will not get charged again. Once you delete it, the word downloaded will change to downloadable I believe, if I recall correctly. At any rate you can re-download, without paying for the content again.

Awesome, thanks!

You dont need to delete and redownload them. Just copy them over. Go into the menu and you'll find the option to copy them. Its pretty easy.

[video=youtube;vnxBXD_kDj0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnxBXD_kDj0[/video]

Does that help answer any of your questions?

You dont need to delete and redownload them. Just copy them over. Go into the menu and you'll find the option to copy them. Its pretty easy.

I've tried that, and it give me the option to move it over, but it only moves over a couply blocks, seems like just enough for the saves, and then the games are still on the main wii menu. I guess since I can re-download them, I'll try moving them over and deleting them off the main menu and see what happens.

what you need to do is move the channel.
go into your wii options then data management next channels. you can move the whole program over from here but you will need to move your saves back to the wii memory.
you will now be able to run your downloaded games from the SD card

You all are absolutely right. Didn't realized the games were under channels. Worked perfectly. Thanks!

Back