question about wifi

SensesFail

WiiChat Member
May 6, 2007
Ohio
now before everybody flames me i just want to say im new to the forum, and this is my first post. so im sorry if this question has been answered or whatever. please allow me some time to get used to this forum.

okay, so my question is this: my wii is downstairs and i have trouble getting cell phone signals and w/e down there.. and my computer is on the main floor. so if i get a wireless router will a strong signal reach my basement? or do i just have to try it and see what happens?

thanks,
SensesFail

first welcome to the forums and yes you can seach in the bar to the right for any questions you have.

now, for your question, the wii and your cellphone are different signals. so they should not interfere with one another. you should not get more or less bar because of the wii.

Depends how far is the wii from the router. before buying the router check the range of the router, now, if you have between the router and the wii, you should consider buy a router with extra reach, just in case.

example, if a router's range its 20 feet and you wii is at 18 feet, buy a router with 25 feet of range.

i didnt mean to ask if my cell phone would lose bars because of my wii. i was just saying i dont get signal in my basement, so the will the wii, in comparison with my phone, be isolated from the router signal because of the thick stone walls, etc.

Welcome to wiichat and enjoy your stay.
The answer to your question actually depends on the thickness of your floors going down to your basement. I mean, wireless signals can go through some thick stuff and cross large distances and still maintain a strong signal, so it is actually a trial and error to see where the signal is really strong. Goodluck. :thumbsup:

Back