Questions about the Wii...

$?wii?$

WiiChat Member
Oct 24, 2006
Since im... I mean my lttle sister is getting the Wii tommorow I was wondering what you lot think about this system.

You know just rate it in general and tell some good and bad points

Im planning to get-

-Wii with Wii sports
-Wii play including extra remote
-extra nunchuk
-Red steel
-Mario strikers

1) Also does it come with a memory card?

2) Are there alot of annoying wires hanging everywhere?

3)How do I transfer videos, pics and music on the console?

$?wii?$ said:
Since im... I mean my lttle sister is getting the Wii tommorow I was wondering what you lot think about this system.

Im planning to get-

-Wii with Wii sports
-extra nunchuk
-Red steel
-Mario strikers

ok, IMO the wii is awesome. its interactive, its fun and its great for when you have friends over and need soemthing to do. the system isnt for one player. the xbox and play station are MUCH more for the ultimate die hard gamer. again this is MY OPINION. ive played the godfather and other one player type games and dont get me wrong they are awesome but i know very much so that its not the same as you would play it on the xbox.

anyways, your game list is good. redsteel is a must have if youre into those types of games. me personally i liked it but im so jaded by guns and shooting that i didnt really enjoy it for what it was worth. wiiplay youll like but its strictly for 2 players. wiisports is for 4 players. the games on wiiplay are more "get to use the wiimote" type things. alot of point aim and click. little or no skill is involved in the game like wiisports. youll still like it and youll love "tanks" thats a givin lol. play it coop its the best and see how far you can go!

mario strikers isnt out on my end just yet to i personally can not tell you how the game is. just sneak around and look at the mario strikers subforum under the wii gamming section.

now to answer your questions

1) no, the wii does not come with a memory card BUT you can get VERY cheap ones here www.dealextreme.com they have 1G SD cards that are extreamly cheap. so obviously they arent hard to come by and you wont be riped off. they are official san disk

2) there is really only one wire to worry about and thats the sensor bar. deal extreme also carries wireless bars for VERY low prices that run on AAAs. just becareful though and make sure you get rechargables! it doesnt have an on off switch so it is always running.

3) there is a photochannel on the wii where you can view pictures and everything. all this is through the SD card reader. its actually quite cool. i have yet to transfer videos but i do watch movies on the wii using www.ovguide.com. i usually go to the site www.alluc.org. thats one of the MANY different movie sites to watch programs from on the wii

hope all this helps you out with your wii experience

Thanks for that Canon ;)

NO memory card!!! Does it have 512mb internal memory?

Also I found some good deals on Sd card at play.com but the problem is I dont know which one is compatible with the wii.

http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/4-/3251313/Sandisk-Micro-SD-2GB/Product.html

http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/4-/1112015/SanDisk-Mini-SD-2GB/Product.html

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/1112120/SanDisk-Extreme-III-SD-Card-2GB/Product.html

So which one works on the Wii from the above 3?

Also if I save pics and music on a usb would I be able to save it on the Wii by plugging it into the Wii?

Last edited:
anytime :)

any SD card is compatible for the wii. in the menu in wii settings there is a setting where you can format the wii card. youll be fine dont worry about that.

honestly i dont know what the internal memory is because i have yet to really "download" anything on to it except for VC games. right now i have about 4 i believe and a lot of saved games.

just make sure you get a memory card for teh game cube because internal memory does NOT save them!!!

Not sure what the internal memory specs are, but it is quite extensive. I personally have around 20 VC games (it should hold around 30+). These are stored on easy access channels that are just a point and click away from playing), plus several saved games.

Honestly a memory card is far from even being needed unless you wanna view and store photos on the photo channel or download tons of Virtual Console games (then it looks like you're getting the right card for that!). But if you do end up wanting to play Gamecube games, you will need a Gamecube memory card in particular for that.

Also, just in case you're unaware and it sounds like you are into downloading the older games, you really need a Classic Controller to get the most out of the game play. You can use a Gamecube controller, but the button layout is much too difficult on SNES games and is just overall much easier to use on any games excepting N64. Hope you enjoy your Wii!

Last edited:
-Wii with Wii sports
Wii Sports has a lot of sports, but in fact all you'll like is tennis. Or maybe boxing. Bowling, baseball, and golf are just not fun. But tennis is awesome to enjoy with your friends and family.
Never played Wii Play, but I heard it's good.
-extra nunchuk
You'll definitely need it.
-Red steel
You might have to worry about the control cuz it's pretty hard to aim and move with Wiimote at first. But once you get used to it, it'll be ok. But I don't recommend it personally.. But there are a lot of people who loves that game out there, so it depends :) If you're buying that cuz you just want to shoot, you'll get pretty stressed out at first cuz of the control like I said. I don't know how old your sister is, but I'd recommend you to just get Resident Evil.
Or.. Wait till Metroid or Umbrella Chronicles.
-Mario strikers
Fun game! It's not serious like FIFA or something like that. It's really casual and still fun.
I think it doesn't... But I never needed one unless you're going to transfer your game save data to another Wii console or transfer video, music and stuff.
Well.. Not really. But it really depends. The sensor has a wire. And also you need another wire(you could call it three cuz it splits to three but well..) to connect your console with TV. Finally the power cable. And..That's all as far as I know... If you want to buy Nyko Wiimote charger, then there's going to be one more wire.
You can simply put your media files in SD card.(that's the memory card used in Wii) But I'm pretty sure that you won't be able to watch video unless you transferred the video directly from certain digital camera. And about the pics, there is Photo Channel in all Wii console, so you can view your pictures in SD card and also edit it.

The wii has 512MB inbuilt memory. I just thought i would clear that up

$?wii?$ said:

Im planning to get-

-Wii with Wii sports
-extra nunchuk
-Red steel
-Mario strikers

Goood list, my only suggestion is that if you don't have RE4 you should replace Red Steel with that. Steel isn't bad, but the sword combat was annoying and I hated the ending. The whole game felt like it was rushed out to meet the launch date. :sick:

I got it!!!!!!!

It is amazingly fun with friends and family, Wii sports is so AMAZING!

Super Mario strikers is actually a very fun game and I played it online, obviously it want anything like Xbox LIVE but that was expected.

Red Steel was absolutley crap:( Im thinking of swapping it for Zelda...

eskiemong said:
-Wii with Wii sports
Wii Sports has a lot of sports, but in fact all you'll like is tennis. Or maybe boxing. Bowling, baseball, and golf are just not fun. But tennis is awesome to enjoy with your friends and family.
Weird, for me bowling is the best one, and then tennis.

$?wii?$ said:
I got it!!!!!!!

It is amazingly fun with friends and family, Wii sports is so AMAZING!

Super Mario strikers is actually a very fun game and I played it online, obviously it want anything like Xbox LIVE but that was expected.

Red Steel was absolutley crap:( Im thinking of swapping it for Zelda...

i love wiisports. i was addicted to tennis for the longest time! boxing is a blast too.

i cant wait for mario strikers to come out on my end and like i wrote above- i told you not to compair it with the xbox lol was i right? haha

also like i wrote above, redsteel isnt all that great. zelda is good but i got bored of it fast. after ocarina of time i lost all interest in zelda games. but still, TP wasnt that bad.

get resident evil you wont be sorry if youre looking for a FPS

i'd get internet connectivity and some wii points to buy some retro(VC) games

aww man 7 more days until strikers

TLC-Why have you lost interest of zelda since OoT, is it cause every game after is dons't compare, or that you didn't like OoT and any zelda game afterwards?

I still may give red steel another try...

I think I have been put off by FPS for the wii because of Red steel so RE4 is a no no...

I also cancelled the order for the 2GB simply because I dont know how to get pics or videos on the card! Could someone elaborate on how I can get media on to the card? Would I be able to connect my phone using a usb cable to the wii and transfer images and videos to the SD card like that?

you need a computer of course and an sd card reader. simply place the card in the reader tic usb port and begin selecting what ever jpegs mp3s and videos you want to view (i believe it is some sort of specific format on the videos since most will not play.)

its not as hard as it sounds. if you have a digital camera that takes SD cards just place it in the wiis reader and let the photo channel do its thing :)

oh and mushroom i loved oot the rest after sucked!

Back