rangemax trouble please help im lost!

snarloas

WiiChat Member
Aug 1, 2007
ok lads iv got a rangemax wpnt834. im having serious problems getting my wii to connect at all wireless and i think im gonna go bald. the internet is working and my 360 works online. i cant seem to be able to connect or even see an acess point via the wii. im pretty new to the whole wireless stuff so could someone be a saint and help me.....

snarloas said:
ok lads iv got a rangemax wpnt834. im having serious problems getting my wii to connect at all wireless and i think im gonna go bald. the internet is working and my 360 works online. i cant seem to be able to connect or even see an acess point via the wii. im pretty new to the whole wireless stuff so could someone be a saint and help me.....
i think a little more information is required...

1. how are the other devices (pc/360) connected? wired or wirelessly?
2. is the SSID radio broadcast disabled?
3. what wireless "protocol" are you using? 802.11b(11Mbps) or 802.11g(54Mbps)?
4. how far is the Wii situated from the netgear router?...reason i ask is that this particular router is quite poor at broadcasting over distance.

if you could fill in a few gaps, we might be able to help.

1. wired
2. no.
3. tried all four of them
4. about 15 meters away

ok,

is uPnP enabled?

it seems strange that the Wii won't see the SSID broadcast, does it pick
up any neighbouring wifi networks?

have a look in your settings to see if there's anything out of the ordinary
which could be preventing the Wii from connecting.....it could be that
because the router is a "pre n" device, there could be a setting which
might be able to be disabled to let "older" a/b or g wifi devices communicate.

it could be that this particular router is not compatible with the Wii
for some reason...there seems to be quite a few which won't work
regardless of how they are configured.

upnp is enabled, there are no other wirless setups near me sorry, i just got this god damn thing and thought rangemaxs worked with the wii thought i was being smart by getting the 240 version. everything else is great though. what router should i be looking at if i cant get this to work

snarloas said:
upnp is enabled, there are no other wirless setups near me sorry, i just got this god damn thing and thought rangemaxs worked with the wii thought i was being smart by getting the 240 version. everything else is great though. what router should i be looking at if i cant get this to work
lol:)

before you spend any more money, have a look at Netgears KB (link) to see
if there's any information regarding your router and the Wii.

if you really can't get it working, there are other netgear models which
will work fine with the Wii, e.g. 614 / 624 / 834 (not rangemax) series. obviously
some are Cable based and some are ADSL.

with the models u gave me does it matter if its gt,dw or what ever all them codes in front of the numbers mean

snarloas said:
with the models u gave me does it matter if its gt,dw or what ever all them codes in front of the numbers mean
the codes are basic descriptions for the type of router.

as long as you get the correct "type" for your broadband connection
it really won't matter.

Well, if the wii can't see the SSID, then you might be out of radio range, or the signal is being obstructed. Also, if you use your microwave alot and it's between the two, it'll literally kill the signal since the microwave's frequency is inconveniently 2.4ghz. Acts like a radio jammer. Check your locations with wifi sniffers, or whatnot. They're pretty cheap and quite invaluable to wireless setup. If you've got SSID broadcast on, make sure you're using WEP or WPA2 PSK. I don't know if it's my WRT54GX4 or not, but nothing will connect with WPA1/2 AES/TKIP without PSK enabled, and my ds won't even see it sometimes. If all else fails instead of getting a new wireless router, why not just get an access point? they're cheap and they can be used to piggyback a wired connection to wireless.

cheers lads, im gonna move my router when i tidy my room and bring the wii upstairs for testing

Back