Rareless Confirmed as of March 26th

The Palo Alto

WiiChat Member
Dec 11, 2006
On March 26, 2006, Matt Casamassina, Editor-in-Chief of IGN Wii, had announced in his blog that Nintendo's Wii Virtual Console service, a feature which allows players to download games from the history of Nintendo, will be "Rareless". He stated that he had "met with some Rare/Microsoft staff" while attending the 2006 Game Developers Conference, who confirmed once and for all that the Virtual Console will not see any Rare-owned licenses. This means that classic Rare titles such as Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini, and Banjo-Kazooie (to name a few) may be absent from the download service; GoldenEye 007 may be a possibility as the James Bond video game license is held by Activision and would require Activision's, but not Rare's, permission to be released on the system. :yikes: The Donkey Kong games that were developed by Rare remain unaffected, since Nintendo retain the rights to the Donkey Kong series.

However, despite the blog post, Rare nor Microsoft have yet to make an official announcement regarding this particular issue.

doesnt Microsoft have 007 license?
or is that just goldeneye cuz microsoft bought rare and goldeneye was under rare at the time.

maclawa said:
doesnt Microsoft have 007 license?
or is that just goldeneye cuz microsoft bought rare and goldeneye was under rare at the time.

Microsoft does not have the rights to James Bond. They only have the rights to Rare's Golden Eye for N64. Rare had the rights a long time ago and put it to good use, then EA bought it and made crappy games Like Night Fire. Currently, Activition owns the rights To James Bond games but they have not released a game yet, I assume one is in the works.

Bond, James Bond

Yeah, activision holds the rights, so i think that means that they can bring goldeneye to the wii with either activisions agreement rares agreement or both, but most likely activision. sounds like good news to me

lol fanboys hatin on microsoft,what else is new.
you gotta love it

psychono2 said:
lol fanboys hatin on microsoft,what else is new.
you gotta love it

Have nothing to do with fanboy, Microsoft has already proven their monopoly tactics (i.e. court) plenty over the years.

it's been a while, there was alread another thread that was started speculating that there is talk between the 2. damn you speculations

wele said:
it's been a while, there was alread another thread that was started speculating that there is talk between the 2. damn you speculations

Not to mention that Reggie said so himself that they are in talks about Goldeneye 007

The fact that Nintendo is going after obtaining Golden Eye with such effort means it may be put online. It's not hard to host SNES games. Just look at Zbattle. The catch is you host the games.

none of the VC games are online compatible, i think that's what you are referring to. All VC is doing is being emulated.

Back