Rayman Raving Rabbids: Travel in Time

mitch94

WiiChat Member
Oct 25, 2007
Michigan
Rayman Raving Rabbids: Travel in Time

The Rabbids have returned, presumably from their previous trip to the moon, and they're back to their mischievous, crazyass ways. Like seriously, these dudes are nuts. And now they have a time machine, so they're going to scream their way through history, messing everything up in Raving Rabbids: Travel in Time.

We haven't seen much of the game since the trailer was shown at E3 last June, so this was my first time checking out the newest Rabbids title. Unlike the previous adventure game, Travel in Time is back to the multiplayer mini-game format that the series is best known for.

As the story goes, the Rabbids have a time machine (which is also a washing machine), and are traveling through time and space to famous moments in history, like the Titanic, the building of the pyramids in Egypt, etc. The Rabbids then proceed to screw history up by, well, being their crazy little selves.

Each of the 25 mini-games (set across 5 different gameplay mechanics), correlates to a moment in history. I got to see one of the Navigation mini-games, which was the stock market crash of 1929. The Rabbids roll in, start flipping some tiles on the big stock graph, and change it to look like the price of chickens has skyrocketed. After the short humorous cutscene, I played a co-op game where a partner and I had to collect boxes and bring them to a goal. We were tethered together so that we can't get too far away, and we had to use each other to get up to higher platforms. It's a basic game, but because you're physically bound to another player and it's time based it becomes pretty hectic. Add on to that the ability to steal boxes from other players by attacking them and the whole thing quickly became a gameplay cacaphony (but in a good way. You know, that way that all good party games make you want to punch your friends in the face).

The second game I got a chance to see was one of the flying games. It operates very much like a standard kart racer, except you're in a plane. I flew through a track set in Renaissance Italy, picking up weapons and shields to fire at other players. Steering was done by tilting both the Wii Remote and the nunchuck, which did feel a little clunky at times (though I did win by a landslide, so not so clunky where I wasn't kicking ass).

After each mini-game there's an additional cutscene, showing the conclusion of the Rabbids trip into that historical moment. For the flying game I saw that Leonardo DaVinci got Mona Lisa to smile by getting hit in the face by a flying Rabbid (which if you remember from your Houghton Mifflin books, is historically accurate).

Travel in Time's overworld is this huge museum. Each gameplay type is a wing of the museum like fine arts, air and space, etc. Within the museum I could play microgames like a burping musical rhythm game, or customize my Rabbid in one of over 30 costumes. I chose the cowboy because he looks exactly like fellow editor Sam Claiborn.

While in the museum wings, the controls switch to the scheme of the games presented. So in the air and space section every I was already in a plane, and could even fly around, pick up powerups and shoot other players down.

One of the more interesting things about the game is that every mini-game includes online leaderboards and multiplayer. I can compare my best scores and times with the people on my friends list, and can compete against them. This sets the game apart from other family based mini-game collections.

Raving Rabbids: Travel in Time travels to stores on November 9. Keep checking back for more coverage on everyone's favorite evil crazy space bunnies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6U-9_ba8Lk

Back