RE: Umbrella Chronicles, HUGE disappointment

Doc141

Super Mario Bros. MASTA!
Mar 20, 2007
Wii Online Code
2478-2768-0821-6129
residenteviltheumbrellamy1.jpg

I had no idea that Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles was an on rail shooter. I thought it would be an all new game utilizing storyline of Resident Evil 1 (and 2?) but with new control and puzzles similar to that found in RE4. Basically the updated formula on an updated RE.

I was VERY wrong.

I just found out that it is an on rail shooter and this is total crap to me. :scared:

On Rail Shooters are EXTREMELY out of date.

How out of date?

well basically, 007 Goldeneye was originally set up to be an on rail shooter but it was changed decidedly due to the fact that the On Rail Genre was wearing thin.
goldeneye007_n64boxboxart_160h.jpg

On Rail Shooters were found in arcades for such games as Area 51. And here we are in the popular time of FPS and they are making this for wii. And after they boasted it at E3, they talked about another on rail game from arcades coming to Wii. NO MORE PORTS DAMNIT!

So the fact that RE:UC not only has gameplay problems, it requires the Wii Zapper (to reload properly) and has what look like pretty bad graphics (like PS1 rendered zombies...)
reumbrella_3.jpg

I am not buying... :mad5:

this is all my opinion. what say you?

I dont get what the hell your talking about. im sorry. Can you elaborate "On Rail"??

old news my man....I don't care, on-rail shooters are fun to me.

Also you'll have some kind of movement, you'll be able to turn to your left or right, but that's nothing big and don't forget about co-op..

Gun + Zombies = Winner

P.S. Don't judge a game that harshly when it didn't even come out...

EDIT: On-Rail means you have no movement. If you ever played Time Crisis at a arcade or on the PS2, it's like that

are u high on something cause ur wrong DUDE

its going to be the best zombie killing rail game ever :lol:

my opinion

they made it an on rail shooter because it fits well with the wii. so far no one has really made a game with good fps controls, so they probably stayed away from it. i think on-rail games will be a lot of fun with the wii, all you have to worry about is unloading on the zombies. thats what i loved about arcade games. personally, i'm only getting this because it's an on-rail (lilwiiwii it means your character automatically moves, you just aim)

wario2ooo said:
are u high on something cause ur wrong DUDE

its going to be the best zombie killing rail game :lol:

If there are zombies in game, I'll get it =P.

i love killing zombies.....who doesn't.

and its rail, so u cant get stuck in the game

o0o0o0o0o......i feel the urge to kill nemises now o_0

(lilwiiwii it means your character automatically moves, you just aim)[/QUOTE]

Ah. I get it. thanks. Still gonna pick this game up. But I would still like to see a RE5:yesnod:

I am sorry but Resident Evil 4 is awesome. RE5 won't come out on Wii anytime soon. And here is this cool game that boasts "RETURN TO THAT OLD MANSION" so your thinking "RE4 Gameplay+ and the Resident Evil 1 story"

but no. It is on rail. And I love playing Area 51 at the arcade with a friend but this let down hurts me. I guess it is for some people. But IMO On Rails are out of date.

PS LilWiiWii

Rails Shooters are games where you can't control the players movements. You just shoot enemies in an area, reload, and then the game moves to the next area.

Where have you been! Its widely known its an on the rails game!

Dont judge the graphics through screenshots. I reckon the zombies will look absolutely MAD!

Doc141 said:
residenteviltheumbrellamy1.jpg

I had no idea that Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles was an on rail shooter. I thought it would be an all new game utilizing storyline of Resident Evil 1 (and 2?) but with new control and puzzles similar to that found in RE4. Basically the updated formula on an updated RE.

I was VERY wrong.

I just found out that it is an on rail shooter and this is total crap to me. :scared:

On Rail Shooters are EXTREMELY out of date.

How out of date?

well basically, 007 Goldeneye was originally set up to be an on rail shooter but it was changed decidedly due to the fact that the On Rail Genre was wearing thin.
goldeneye007_n64boxboxart_160h.jpg

On Rail Shooters were found in arcades for such games as Area 51. And here we are in the popular time of FPS and they are making this for wii. And after they boasted it at E3, they talked about another on rail game from arcades coming to Wii. NO MORE PORTS DAMNIT!

So the fact that RE:UC not only has gameplay problems, it requires the Wii Zapper (to reload properly) and has what look like pretty bad graphics (like PS1 rendered zombies...)
reumbrella_3.jpg

I am not buying... :mad5:

this is all my opinion. what say you?
1. It's been announced for a few months now that it's an on-rails shooter. If you were so hyped about the game before, why didn't you know about this?
2. On-Rails shooters are not out of date. They're still played in arcades even today. There's been quite a few successful ones. Time Crisis, House of the Dead and Ghost Squad for example.
3. Goldeneye was originally going to be an on-rails shooter for the SNES. When it got bumped back to the N64, they had more power with the system and could do more. They essentially had the power to do a FPS, and decided to. It was not to do with the fact that the genre was wearing thin, but a challenge to push the game to test the console.
4. It's not a port. Umbrella Chronicles has not been released for arcades before, it's completely new and exclusive to the Wii. Now Ghost Squad on the other hand is coming to the Wii and is a port, but has some really nice enhanced features (internet and LAN play along with 4 way multiplayer).
5. I don't think the zapper is neccessary, just like the Wheel isn't neccessary for Mario Kart. Also, I think the zapper may come with the game.
6. It was an E3 build. Nothing looks as good as when its released at E3. They always include some more minor details or complete graphical overhaul.

I hope when they do spruce the game up a bit, they'll show it and you become interested in it. It's not good to say "I won't play that because it's an on-rails shooter".

I think it really depends.. I mean, people like you prefer RE4 style, but some people don't.
Actually I really was surprised when I saw the gamplay video for the same reason. But then what I thought was that since RE4 is like that, this one should be like this for people who just want to shoot.
I remember reading a dude's question in Wiichat asking "Does RE4 has puzzles and stuff or is it just shooting zombies cuz I don't like puzzles"..
Now that Umbrella Chronicles is going to be out soon, that dude and everyone has a choice, right?
Just look at the bright side .

I will not be buying RE:4, I will be buying RE:UC:)

RE:4 is a very good game yes but there are a few things that make me want RE:UC more, I havn't played on a rail shooter for quite a long time and it will be fun remembering some old times and the story fits with the feeling too because of the Umbrella Corp. and the mystery surrounding it. You moan about RE:UC being a port, when it isn't 100% new game but RE:4 is a port, are you bothered about that?

RE:UC is also a little simple, with the pointing and shooting, it won't require walking round for a long time collecting objects, checking for the next part of the game etc. the simple feeling of it will make it a game that'll I will be playing:)

Back