Reason for component cable shortage: avoiding graphics comparison?

miigottawii

WiiChat Member
Dec 3, 2006
Is the lack of component cables more a marketing thing than anything?

article:
MiiGottaWii.com - How bad do you gotta Wii? » Blog Archive » What does Nintendo have to gain from component cable shortage?

snip:

So let’s say that Nintendo can afford to ship cables, and they’re capable of doing it. Why in the world don’t they want them in the hands of gamers. In fact, the core gamers — the ones who camped outside the store to get a new Wii. Could it perhaps be nothing more than a marketing ploy, designed so the world can’t compare the Wii graphics to those of the other consoles that output in HD?

More to the point, is it to make the comparison Apples to Oranges?

/snip

This was my first published Wii opion piece guys. What do you think?

Articles like these do not take into account the manufacturing process. Nintendo have nothing to gain by not manufacturing the component cables, in fact they have something to lose in the sense that a 3rd party may make the cables more widely available.

The only reason why there is a shortage is getting the cables manufactured. I'm sure Nintendo are much more interested in getting Wii's and Controllers made first.

um, did you even read the article?

it clearly explains the something to gain -- and that's further product differentiation from the next gen consoles.

The manufacturing process is also covered.

Total nonesense...
That article was entirely speculation?! no facts - no figures - "Its an article - It must be true"?! - Don't think so...

If nintendo were worried about graphical comparisons wouldn't they be interested in getting the cables out to improve the graphics quality?

Also Nintendo isn't making these games for us out of the goodness of their hearts. They are a business - a nice business with good ethics (compared to sony and microsoft). But a business none the less. What have they got to gain by allowing third party companies to beat them to the crunch offering a peripheral for a Nintendo product, that Nintendo could be selling themselves.?

The article also asks this question...
"What’s Hi Def? Is 1080p true Hi Def? What about scaling? Is 1080i better or worse than 720p? Is 480p even Hi Def at all?"

??! no 480p is not high def at all. Its regular definition Progressive scanned instead of interlaced?! I thought that was totally obvious.

What you have to ask yourself is should a person who doesn't know 480p isn't hi def be writing an article about the nature of the wii in relation to hi def gaming/graphics....

Last edited:
miigottawii said:
So let’s say that Nintendo can afford to ship cables, and they’re capable of doing it. Why in the world don’t they want them in the hands of gamers.
The reason they are not getting into our hands is because Nintendo isn't capable of producing/shipping enough right now. If they had a stockpile of cables and just weren't shipping them, maybe this article would have a point.

And like the above comment, 480p > 480i. They would want the cables out sooner if worried about comparison.

That article blew hard. Everyone knows that 480p is inferior to 720/1080. So why would they be afraid of an obvious comparison like that?

miigottawii said:
um, did you even read the article?

it clearly explains the something to gain -- and that's further product differentiation from the next gen consoles.

The manufacturing process is also covered.

I think everyones response here verifies my post.

The article was poo in short.

You dont need component cables to see the graphics comparison. This is a stupid article. They probably didnt think there would be such a high demand for component cables. I guess most people that have Plasmas, also have next gen video game consoles.

So Nintendo is purposely handicapping themselves in order to avoid being shown up as a graphical weenie? Like that's not already happening?

Back