Reasons why EarthBound absolutley WILL NOT be available on the Wiis' Virtual Console

Bodine

Sonic expert
Jan 25, 2009
Wii Online Code
1234-1234-1234-1234
First off, I'm sorry Nintendo. If I have known then what I know now I would not have sent e-mail after e-mail of EarthBound-related messages. I know now there is actually a reason behind the lack of EB love. The reason not being a grudge from the poor sales of EarthBound back in 95'. Not some sick and twisted hatred for U.S. EarthBound fans, which you have been accused of by many.
I know now that you have tried more than once to release it on the Virtual Console in 2007. All attempts were cancelled due to... copyright issues and possible lawsuites that need be avoided. It's a real bummer you can't release your own game on your own console without making major changes in the game. Sure you could edit a few things from the original, but you and fans would feel that it's not the same.
It's really tough knowing that you shot yourself in the foot back in 95' when you decided to put so many referances to American pop-culture in the game. Sure it wasn't that big a deal back in the day, but these days if the game was released to the U.S. or U.K. people who own rights to things such as The Beatles, David Bowie, Red Cross, Warner Bros., and others would tear into you like Chris Brown did Rheanna. (too soon :mad5:)
Then EarthBound was rated by ESRB. Many of your fans don't know that this was literally an accident. We were teased with false hope for the longest, but I blame you not.
Sure you could license the rights to the oh-so many referances in the game, but that would cost you more than the Virtual Console release would benefit you. And if any of those rights holders told you, "no" then you would be right where you started, with the choice of greatly altering the game or not releasing it at all. Good call, cause I for one don't want some different version of the game I love so much. I and many others want the original, the real deal. So once again Nintendo I apologize for my actions. And may some day the original make it to the world again without the threat of legal trouble.

-Brandon Bodine

Well guys, I don't know about you but this marks the end of me whinning about EarthBound. If you have been loyaly waiting for its release and want to play it, stop. There are other, less rewarding ways to play EarthBound and EarthBound 2. :shifty:

But wait, there is hope. Hope that lies within the Fair Use law. Maybe this is the chance for Earthbound, but don't get your hopes up.

Thespeedgamers tried as hard as possible to get this released. But the lawyers have officially blocked release of this game. We could in theory still petition for Mother 3, but I'd say by this point it's unlikely. This may end up in the bin with Golden Eye. Unlike Bionic Commando, and Banjo; this game may never see the light of day for any console. My suggestion is to purchase the cartridge or use the power of the internet.

The reason Mother 3 hasn't released outside of Japan is the same reason for EarthBound not being released on the VC. Whenever (if at all) Earthbound is able to hit the rest of the world I'm positive Earthbound 2/Mother 3 will come right along with it.

Mother 3's non-appearance in the West has nothing to do with copyrights- remember, Japan also respects copyrights- but simply because Nintendo can't be bothered to translate it. Put simply, they don't see enough money to be made.

Well guys, I don't know about you but this marks the end of me whinning about EarthBound. If you have been loyaly waiting for its release and want to play it, stop. There are other, less rewarding ways to play EarthBound and EarthBound 2. :shifty:

But wait, there is hope. Hope that lies within the Fair Use law. Maybe this is the chance for Earthbound, but don't get your hopes up.
I don't see it as less rewarding if they can't release it here.

I'm not sure how the fair use law would help.

True Earthbound fans never sold their copy of Earthbound.
Hinting at the fact that if you got a copy, no big deal right? True, but I'd just like those who never played it to experience it. And what better way to do so via Virtual Console?

Also, you reminded me of the old saying. New EarthBound fans cry, long time EarthBound fans go about their day. :lol:

Back