red steel or COD?

thendis

WiiChat Member
Dec 13, 2006
I've played Wii Sports to death and I have this strange urge for a 1st person shooter. I was going to wait for FarCry but the reviews have not been great.

I have a fresh $100 bill to drop on a game...if I lived in USA, i could get 2 for that price :(

I'm thinking of either COD or Red Steel. COD doen't have multiplayer, which is annoying, but has gotten consistently better reviews. Red STeel seems to range from 5.0-8.0 scores.

decisions decisions...

I haven't played either so im not really in a position to recommend anything. But as you said, the reviews have been pretty bad for red steel... Isn't there like an in store demo where you live? I dont know, Just a suggestion...

no, no in store demo (for example, my local target still has a PlayStation 2 on demo...dont think theyre getting a wii in anytime soon!)

what made me re-consider red steel is the IGN review. At first they gave it a 6.0, then they revised it to an 8.0. Perhaps reviews are not giving it a proper chance?

Well, i cant say you should ever judge a game by a review. This is a hard one... If i was in your position id go read some reader reviews. ALOT of them. Get a good idea what its like.

Something to consider is this, COD has a campaign that lasts 8-10hrs for the average gamer and I think red steel's is even shorter. If you have friends, then I'd go Red Steel for the multiplayer. It might end up having lasting power over COD.

RED STEEL
funner game.
maybe shorter, but multiplayer is fun as hell.

thanks for the advice everyone. I ended up getting Red Steel. I've been playing for the last hour or so. so far...well...to be honest I'm not loving it, but I will persist.

if the controls you have problems with, you'll get use to it.

Thendis, I got both, CoD3 is so much better. Red Steel was the first game I got w/ the Wii, I recently got CoD3 is so much better. It's awsome, I can send you a PM of a good comparison between the two if you would like. :D

ssbb_lover said:
Thendis, I got both, CoD3 is so much better. Red Steel was the first game I got w/ the Wii, I recently got CoD3 is so much better. It's awsome, I can send you a PM of a good comparison between the two if you would like. :D

Cheers ssbb_lover. yeah I wouldn't mind getting a comparison between them if you wouldn't mind :)

vigor&kandor said:
if the controls you have problems with, you'll get use to it.

well it's kind of the controls, but I realise that is something I will get used to it. my main issues are:

- This sounds strange but shooting people isn't very satisfying, because it doesn't appear to require a direct hit to bring them down. I often feel like I am shooting just above their head, but they get hit anyway.

- Sword fighting is just a joke. It's basically 3-4 different animations that play depending on which button you press. There's also significant lag.

- so far it feels very 1 dimensional. You turn corners, people pop up out of nowhere, you kill them, repeat. Now, it could be said most FPS are like this, but somehow Red Steel makes this very obvious.

I haven't played it much though. I will post back in a couple days with an update.

Last edited:
thendis said:
no, no in store demo (for example, my local target still has a PlayStation 2 on demo...dont think theyre getting a wii in anytime soon!)

what made me re-consider red steel is the IGN review. At first they gave it a 6.0, then they revised it to an 8.0. Perhaps reviews are not giving it a proper chance?

I think that what happened there was the US people reviewed it at 6.0, then ign AU reviewed it at 8.0. Either way i tend to think the game is around a 7.0 :p COD3 controls better but red steel looks better. they are both fun and thats why i bought both. red steel has some sequences in it that just suck however, and thats what makes it a longer game than cod3. however, the driving in cod3 sucks, along with those stupid close quarters horizontal gun pushing battles....

The problem I would have with COD3 is what do you do once you beat the campaign? I bought red steel because its a first-person shooter I can play with all of my friends, not for the short campaign(which I know is far worse than COD3).

The official nintendo magazine here in the UK gave Red Steel 92%... perhaps they had to give it a high score to market it, but still.

sorry to bump, but I thought I should post back here once more to say I spoke a little too soon.

I have found myself liking Red Steel more and more each time I play. OK, the storyline blows and I still would prefer the shooting of poeple to have a little more oomph, but once you get those controls down the game really becomes immersive.

Not only do you get used to the controls, but you actually start to like them. I'm now at the point where I think I almost prefer the Wii FPS controls to the good old mouse and keyboard, though not quite, not yet anyway. The Wii controls fall down a little with closeup battles.

anyway, I thought I owe it to the makers of Red Steel to urge people to give the game a chance. it really does grow on you (I didn;t believe people when they told me that, because the first time I played I really did think the game sucked).

Do I regret buying it? well, I do still a little, simply because I know that once the campaign is over I won't have much use for it. Multiplayer is always good but I don't get the chance to have video game matches with friends much these days (plus i only have 2 controllers and a bunch of friends who are yet to master the controls).

btw, quick extra question: I notice the multiplayer option in the menu says "play multiplayer on the same screen" or something along those lines. The fact that it specifically says "on the same screen" makes me wonder if Red Steel maybe able to handle multiplayer on separate screens using some kind of link up between two wiis? That would be very cool, but I am probably dreaming...

Back