Redsteel vs COD3 - my take

doomlordis

WiiChat Member
Dec 14, 2006
I have both and have been playing them a lot over xmas.

Seems a lot of people arnt sure what to get, well its simple.

Redsteel.

COD is a good game but it looks and feels like a ps2 game with wii controls tacked on. Now this would be fine if the controls added to the experience but i have had a lot of bother with them.
DONT use gestures for grenade throwing , it works maybe 1/3 of the time.
DONT sit closer than 2.5 meters as this game doesnt like it, redsteel deals with that distance fine but my cursor freezes and disappears with COD.

Redsteel is a wii game , it looks unique and the controls work very well after 30mins. It sounds better than COD , the guns on COD dont opack much punch sonically.
Redsteel is longer about 15hrs , where COD is 10-11 max.

I am a little disappointed in COD , the intro and 1st level are very immersive and hectic but it loses pace the closer to paris you get.

There is some nice bump mapping on the helmets in COD , shame thats the only textures they seen fit to do.

All i can see is that i have red steel, and it truly is awesome, ignore all bad reviews on it, its just a game you have to try for yourself :D

yes i have to agree. when i first got Red Steel I was less than impressed, but each time I played it, the better it got. Once you master the controls it becomes very immersive. There are still many things I dislike, but I"m now very glad I got it over COD.

I can speak from someone who truly hated the game, and I absolutely did not believe anyone when they said "give it a go", but now I understand :) I Just wish I had an extra nunchuck, and a friend who has also mastered the controls.

Cheers, I want to get one today and wasn't 100% sure, but you just swayed me to get Red Steel :) One thing, even though it takes a while to get used to the controls, when you do are they still fun? As in once you get used to them can you, say, quickly aim at somebody and shoot their head?

Yes. I think it started becoming fun the second time I played it. I played it for about 40 mins when I first got it and thought it sucked. I came back the next day and played for another 40mins or so, and thought "hey this is OK". THen the third time I played it a couple days later I thought it was awesome.

I think the biggest turning point is when you master the "hold down A to shoot more accurately during a gun fight".

A would also recommend resisting the temptation of lowering the sensitivity. At first it seems too sensitive, but once you master it, it is perfect, because it allows you to quickly flick the control around and shoot at people who are far away from each other.

bottom line is, shooing at people is very immersive. Something about pointing the remote at the screen makes you feel more "there". You'll find it is incredibly easy to get a headshot, even from far away. Close up battles are a little more difficult, but I"m getting better at those.

Sword fighting is not as good as they led us to believe, but it is still fun.

Back