Reggie Criticizes Reviews

MetroidZ

Only took 4 years to get1
May 20, 2006
London, England Rank: i-wii-sistable
Wii Online Code
1000-0000-0000-0000
"I think a lot of the reviews have been overly critical," said Reggie. "Does it take you a few minutes to get used to the Red Steel control scheme? Yes. Once you get used to it does it play extremely well? Absolutely. I think a lot of those reviews are overly harsh. Just like the IGN review of Wii Sports. They’re negative on the graphics of the game, but we always said what the graphics would be. I think that’s people just being hypercritical."

Maybe he has got a point. But telling us that Wii Sports wasn't gonna have good graphics for what the system is capable of doesn't mean it will get away with it. Though it was Ninty's choice to make the graphics like that.

Comment?

Total Gamer Zone - Story: Reggie criticises reviewers

MetroidZ said:
But telling us that Wii Sports wasn't gonna have good graphics for what the system is capable of doesn't mean it will get away with it.

Considering wii sports is a little bonus that comes with the system as a way to demonstrate the wiimotes capabilities...yes it pretty much means it does mean it will get away with it.

vagrant said:
Considering wii sports is a little bonus that comes with the system as a way to demonstrate the wiimotes capabilities...yes it pretty much means it does mean it will get away with it.

I second that... wii sports was never meant to be gears of war.

vagrant said:
I agree, but that doesn't make the graphics better. thats all I was saying.

MetroidZ said:
I agree, but that doesn't make the graphics better. thats all I was saying.

The graphics are a bunch of Mii characters. Wtf potential does that even have? Did you expect explosions coming out of the bowling lane?

I think reviews should completely disregard the graphics portion, or at least focus on the aesthetics rather than the graphics themselves. All we will get now is reviews for the Wii that state that the graphics don't compete with such-and-such on the 360, and will only serve to decrease the games scores.

This is true with the Wii at least, and if these reviewers are going to review the graphics, they should definately not be comparing it to anything other than different Wii games.

On another note, GameSpot has totally borked the Wii reviews section, as now all you see are classic VC games being rated harshly under the Wii section, because of poor graphics and gameplay. It's even more annoying that these are under the Wii section, as it's now tough to figure out which are the Wii games, and which are the VC games. Off-topic, but annoying none-the-less.

vagrant said:

a very valid point but the bad thing is all i ever see advertised personally is wii sports & all though its undoubtedly going to be a fun game, people who don't know much about the wii ( e.g. some hardcore gamers who avoid nintendo systems due the the stigmata attached to it - "poor graphics" & "kiddy games" etc etc :eek:ut: ) will probably think games with these graphics is all the wii is capable. i know thats the impression alot of my playstation fan boy mates have got. philistines :arf: obviously i set them straight after they make this mistake & have converted quite a few. just doing my bit for nintendo :D

p.s: i've said it once & i'll say it again, nintendo! you already have the kiddy audience locked! now you need to cater abit more to the hardcore gamers who also like maturer games, cos lets be honest, its all well & good having kids love your system but most kids are broke, its the hardcore gamers who are gunna make you most of your money!

all_eyez_on_me_88 said:
a very valid point but the bad thing is all i ever see advertised personally is wii sports & all though its undoubtedly going to be a fun game, people who don't know much about the wii ( e.g. some hardcore gamers who avoid nintendo systems due the the stigmata attached to it - "poor graphics" & "kiddy games" etc etc :eek:ut: ) will probably think games with these graphics is all the wii is capable. i know thats the impression alot of my playstation fan boy mates have got. philistines :arf: obviously i set them straight after they make this mistake & have converted quite a few. just doing my bit for nintendo :D

p.s: i've said it once & i'll say it again, nintendo! you already have the kiddy audience locked! now you need to cater abit more to the hardcore gamers who also like maturer games, cos lets be honest, its all well & good having kids love your system but most kids are broke, its the hardcore gamers who are gunna make you most of your money!

The 600k wiis already sold, weren't all ourchased by/for little kids.

And 90% of the people i saw camping out were porobably between the age of 15-23

yeah mate i feel what your saying but correct me if im wrong but i never argued that just little kids were buying it? im 18 & i know im copping one & i know alot of other people my age or older are also planning too. however, im simply pointing out nintendo biggest enemy is the fact alot of people still thing that they only make games aimed at kids & while this isn't true they could be doing more to actively combat this viewpoint.

"And 90% of the people i saw camping out were porobably between the age of 15-23" - this might have had something to do with the fact if i had a kid who was under 15 i probably wouldn't want him camping out on he street on his own, i probably go for him... but then again he probably wouldn't get a chance to play the wii cos i'd be to busy playing it :D

im not saying it should mate, read what i wrote again. i couldnt give a flying f*ck what kinda graphics it has, they could get a kid to animate it for all i care, im just saying if your not like us, posting on wii forums finding all kinds of stuff about what the wii is capable of & your first exposure to the wii is a commercial of wii sports you might think graphics like that is all the console is capable of. im not hating on wii sports looks like a good laugh but personally if i was nintendo i would have tried to get some exposure for other, nicer looking games. and in awnser to your question, no, although im the first person to argue that gameplay is much more important than graphics, nobody can argue you that better graphics could ever be a bad thing. thats just plain stupid. again though i'll reiterate seeing as you seem to have been confused by my previous post wii sports looks good, its a free game & im not bothered about the graphics. i've been a fan of nintendo since day aswell so don't misinterpret anything i say as anti nintendo, but only with constructive critism can things improve.

so true, everyone has gotten the point by already that Nintendo is in this now just for the sake of fun, and not trying to warp customers minds into a silly game.... cept for zedlda:smilewinkgrin:

clrntsqueak said:
Why should Wii Sports have amazing graphics? Doesn't the simplistic style make it better?
It does. Within the first day there were nearly 600,000 Wii consoles in homes (minus the number that were flipped on eBay). It was a brilliant stroke of genius to release the Wii before the US Thanksgiving holiday weekend. As people were visiting friends and family, they played the Wii... and were hooked. It wasn't Red Steel, MonkeyBall, or Trauma Center, but Wii Sports that got them hooked.

That's why a week later, 125,000 additional Wii consoles were sold. Demand for the Wii remains white-hot.

There will be plenty of time for a Tiger Wood Golf game or PBA Bowling game that pushes the limitations of the Wii graphics, but for now, Wii Sports is the right game for the right time.... even with the simplistic graphic styles.

People are spending HOURS customizing their Miis! HOURS! :crazy: This tells me that they are getting emotionally attached to personally involved with the Wii. And that they will want to play games where their Mii is the central character in games.

Back