Reggie Speaks Out On Wii Shortage

i0n

:eek:
Apr 30, 2006
UK
Almost 4 months from the Official launch date many 'would-be-wii'ers' are still finding it difficult getting their hands on a console, with many still resorting to store campouts.

In a recent interview with TheHub, NoA President Reggie Fils-Aime had this to say when asked about the Wii availability:

Nintendo manufactured, through the end of December, four million units worldwide. And to put this in perspective, the ramp up you need to have from a manufacturing standpoint to make four million units, and to make them flawlessly -- our defect rate is miniscule -- that's a huge challenge. Yet, because of the demand, because of the buzz, we could not satisfy consumers worldwide.

We work with our retailers to supply them on a regular and ongoing basis. Some retailers make decisions to hold product to support their circulars that typically drop on Sundays. But I'm now looking at a report that says in 93 percent of retail outlets, there are less than three hardware units available. That is a huge issue and something we're working very hard to fix.

Link: http://hubmagazine.com/?p=157

less than 3... meaning 0 units.. untill what once every 2 or 3 sundays then sold out in 15 minutes...lol

Lol...its INSANE! And I'm so happy that this is the case. As long as they keep making 99% of them flawless things should be perfect. Isn't it awesome how rare complete malfunctions are? Even on this forum we rarely hear anyone having to return their Wii to get it fixed or get a new one from the factory which I think shows just how determined and great Nintendo is...unlike Sony and the endless bugs, screwups, and upgrades.

i hate these ebay idiots. they buy more than they need to sell off and make a profit. people that actually want the wiis are disappointed because of them.

Wow only three per store? That's not very good lol But at least Nintendo is selling all these consoles so fast.

Byuakuya said:
i hate these ebay idiots. they buy more than they need to sell off and make a profit. people that actually want the wiis are disappointed because of them.
Ya stores selling things is totaly fine with me, but regular people doing it just for profits is quite annoying...

Unless it's launch, for hundreds/thousands profits you can't blame anyone.

well I got lucky when I got mine, I just walked into a walmart lookin for a TV and my mom asked them about a wii and they had about 3 in the back.... It wasn't even on a sunday, it was like a thursday afternoon!!!

I've had to buy mine on eBay. granted I paid over the odds, but there was no chance of getting one elsewhere on line, or from a store for that matter.

Back