Religion In Gaming

Ezekiel86

Chillin in the Mill
Jun 26, 2006
Perth, Western Australia, most isolated capital in
Wii Online Code
4149-4465-6987-2962
This is something I've been thinking about for some time. Did anyone ever notice the presence of religion in videogames? While alot of the time they are fictional, they are still strongly influenced by mainstream religions, and some examples make use of christian imagery (for example, Tales of Symphonia, on the Journey of the Chosen, she will eventually be sacraficed to the Goddess Martel; Sacrafice of god's son, ring any bells?). You even find churches to Martel in the cities you visit.

One of our most beloved games of all-time, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time also has a very strong religious theme to it too: The land was created by three goddesses who descended from the heavens, cultivated the land, created all living things and gave it laws and beliefs.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you like the idea of religion in games or do you think its unnessacerry?

PSH! You wanna talk about religion? This is something i noticed myself in Halo.
First off, Halo, like an angel?
Convenant, which is a religion term for like someone meant to do something (they unleashed the flood)
Flood, meant to wipe out everything, just like the flood in Noah's Arc which was meant to restart the world and rid it of evil.

Thats all i remember i noticed, so yah!

religion isnt neccesary, and it is okay if used in the right sense in the game.... i've found in a couple of games it's actully added to the depth, but i didnt really see it as religion so much as faction?

Rpgs
shininging force
You see a preast to get healed
Disgaea
the whole heven and hell thing
you sin and die you come back as a prinny

I don't think they have religious themes, so much as you associate religions too them. Anything supernatural will have ties with the religious. It's personal choice and belief that decides whether or not you want to make the connection.

I've noticed RPGs tend to have a lot of religious themes in them, and about half the time the religion is "evil" or it's been "corrupted" (e.g. Tales of Symphonia, Final Fantasy X, some cults in The Elder Scrolls games)- could this be video game developers' commentary on the nature of organised religion?

Resident Evil 4 Religion...pretty much ruined the game for most hardcore RE players.
Ha, Flip, your launch titles you want are pretty much the same as mine!

anyone hear about that gta like game were you have to convert non christian beleaves or take them out to a fireing squad and kill them. Im amazing that game is being made, and its not satire, its by the cc if i rememeber, and that they are trying to use it to fighten teenagers into being christians. I forget the name of the game. anyone know of it or hear about it. I will get a link soon, or at least try. It supposed to have really nice graphics too. It seems to be a good topic for this fourm.

I have noticed alot of relegian in games. Mainly the concept of 4 elements is tied directly to wicca

I am making good on my promise. Its called Eternal Forces, and its coming out this Christmas. It takes place in New York. Here is just one article. But I bet you can find alot more if you want to. Just so you know I don’t condone this game. I think its sick like the above poster. But I think it shows just how desperate some Christians are to reach out to our youth. How much you want to be this will be rated Teen instead of Mature?

This is a neutral article, but the one I read awhile ago had some other details that really made me sick to my stomach

http://www.turkishpress.com/news.asp?id=139987

Last edited:
hmm this game is based on the events when the anti christ takes over when is armageddon. weird idea for a game basing it on the events of the apocalyspe but yeah christians vs. the antichrist is pretty much what it comes down to when that time comes according to our beliefs. if u dont like it dont play it. its not like you do horrible acts on gta anyway. i'll have to keep an eye on this if its for real. this game is no reason to be dissing the christian religion. its pretty much a demon and followers vs. christians. its based on events on the end of the world and if you dont believe in it anyway why do you even care. just dont play it.

Last edited:
I sure hope you don’t support this game, Is it right to kill those who don’t agree with you? thats what this is game is about. yeah, lets beat up some fags.... ug. :scared:

Gta was game that was castrated by family values, are you saying if you cant beat them join them? what about the high ground? I would think you wouldn’t want a game that shows Christians as very thing collage teachers and philosophers criticize them for being.

Last edited:
Back