Remote Shutdown/Restart During Play

macronk

WiiChat Member
Nov 19, 2006
I was playing wii sports, and several time the wii remote just shutdown on me while I was playing. The blue LED light went out and it took several seconds for it to come back on. Has anyone else had this happen? I believe I was playing the boxing game. Could it be possilble if I was using the remote too hard it would just shut itself down?

This hasn't happened to me unless I let the controller sit too long, never during play.

Are you playing within reasonable distance of the sensor/Wii? I doubt you're so far away from the Wii that it can't get a good signal...

Are the batteries in properly and fresh? You might want to try changing the batteries just to eliminate that as a cause.

i had a smiliar problem with the power, this has to do with the whole system itself. i was playing wii baseball, when all of a sudden it turned off! i did nothing to it, no one touched it, i was like 3 feet from the tv, everything was hooked up right, and it turned off! i called Nintendo helpline, and their sending me a new AC adapter in 3-6 days, for free. i tryed all the different methods of getting the power back, but it probably has to do with the adapter. i have Twilight Princess sitting infront of me and i cant play it!! does anyone know what the problem might be?

It's when I'm actually playing. Like just now I moved the remote real fast and the blue LED went out. Then on the screen it said that "communications to the wii remote have been interrupted" (I believe I'm quoting that correctly)

i replaced the batteries and its seems to be doing alot better. now when im using the remote on the home screen its not as jaggie. Hopefully thats all it was. but at least now i kno to just replace the batteries (even tho they are the batteries that came with it). ***edit*** actually it is still kind of rocky when I move the remote cursor around on the main screen. It seemed smooth when I was playing Zelda but on the menus it'll even skip a little.

yea i just starting having the same problem, not sure what it is, i'll try new batteries, see if that does anything

macronk said:
I was playing wii sports, and several time the wii remote just shutdown on me while I was playing.

We've been experiencing the same problem. We've mostly only been playing Wii Sports so far, so I'm not sure if it's just specific to that title or not. Curiously, it happens often in tennis, but has yet to happen in any other games. (Although we do play tennis disproportionately often.)

Another friend with a Wii has complained of the same problems.

I'll go ahead and try recharging the controllers overnight, but just wanted to chime in and say that you're definitely not the only person having this problem.

macronk said:
Then on the screen it said that "communications to the wii remote have been interrupted" (I believe I'm quoting that correctly)

We get no indication on screen. (Possibly because one of the remotes is still connected?) We'll just completely miss the ball, and then realize it's because the remote has turned off. (It's happened to multiple different people here, including me, so it's not someone accidentally turning it off or something stupid.)

(Sorry for the double post.)

So far it has happened when I played Wii sports and Cars (lol. its actually a pretty good game). I think it was ok when i played it with Zelda. Maybe we're looking at one of the first big issues with the Wii's....

I haven't got my Wii yet (8th of december) but I've tried it at Churchill Square in Brighton (at the weekend) and its pretty cool... anyhow (enough of the bragging...)

I was under the impression you calibrated the wiimotes? or is that not the case?

if so try recalibrating them...

with the wiimote power problems try changing the batteries... (silly I know - but you can get duff batteries straight out of the box)

is their a range on the Infrared ? (used for the location of the cursor on the screen?)
^ could also be a calibration problem if you calibrate them...

as for the jerky choppy movements... do you have unsteady hands as adrenaline pumps through your body for getting to hold the wiimote :p

TheRook

therook said:
with the wiimote power problems try changing the batteries... (silly I know - but you can get duff batteries straight out of the box)

I thought about this, but what's strange is that the batteries show as fully charged. I haven't had a chance to go out and see if they tried changing them, or if the problem's still happening, but it's not as if the batteries are actually low.

My understanding is that they use a combination of Bluetooth (for gyroscopic data, etc.) and IR (for pointing on the screen, not used during game play). Our other theory is that something else in the 2.4 GHz range (such as WiFi, or a neighbor's microwave?) is wiping it out. But I'm not sure that would cause the remote to actually turn off. (And since the Wii has integrated WiFi, I'd think that if WiFi and Bluetooth were clobbering each other, that would have been caught early on at Nintendo.)

sorry to disagree but the IR is use during gameplay (depending on the game)

this is used during Z:TP for aiming navi & bow and arrow... also used in wii play...
and probably red steel etc...

it is also used in gauging depth (distance from the screen) - WarioWare Smooth Moves

I saw Z:TP, Wii Sports, Wii Play & Smooth Moves at the Nintendo Tour in Brighton the weekend just gone.

(Z:TP) If you moved the IR cursor off the screen a message came up telling you to point it at the screen (the IR sensor)

Wii Play (Duck Hunt style game) - moving the wiimote so it wasn't pointing at the screen didnt give a message but caused it to sit at the edge of the screen until you pointed it back at it...

Smooth Moves uses it for distance from the screen... In one minigame you have to put some false teeth into an old ladies mouth by lining it up to her mouth and moving the Wiimote closer to the screen which made the teeth get smaller and go into her mouth...

TheRook
Quiet Keeper of Knowledge

p.s. the Btooth is used in sendning all the motion data & game saves/settings etc across... (the stuff thats stored on the wiimote anyhow) :)

edit
p.p.s The bluetooth & wifi are on different frequencies and will not interfere...

therook said:
sorry to disagree but the IR is use during gameplay

Don't apologize; I appreciate the correction. (However, with me having only played Wii Sports, you can see how I was mistaken, as it's not actually used in-game at all.)

(I'm going to have to go ahead and try some of the other games soon, though!)

The bluetooth & wifi are on different frequencies and will not interfere...

I thought they were both on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. What, in theory, helps alleviate that is that Bluetooth uses frequency-hopping, and is supposed to not choose 'crowded' frequencies in the sequence. I do tend to agree, though, that Bluetooth interference is probably not the problem.

Back