Resident Evil 4 is amazing

I broke down and bought it a few hours ago at Wally World. This game is pretty great so far...I just can't get used to the controls!!

I hate to be "ants at a picnic" but here goes...

I am not normally one to complain willy-nilly about a title but I've gotta say that RE:4 for the Wii is a fairly low key affair compared to the GC from 2 years ago.

The graphics, although touted as not being any different from the GC - certainly look worse on the whole due to the texture mapping being restricted thru out, my god - talk about blurr-a-thon! I recently played the GC version and it certainly didn't stand out as much. How the.....

The animation and cutscenes - terribly noticeable as hashed together and unfluid when compared to the GC....when Leon jumps down off an object, the animation seems to jump noticeably to a set animation - not something I noticed before!

The camera - just plain awkward at times, certainly takes the shine off a great experience with the Wii controls.

The controls - all in all a definite improvement over any other version..stat!

All in all, a port of a great great game which has been less than impressive, for me anyhow and shows that anticipation doesn't always bring a pleasant surprise. Hope UC is better - it should be as built from the ground up.

Should it be that a 2 year old cutting edge game-port update on a more powerful machine can be slightly broken - phew I didn't think that I would even think it let alone write it....

How Capcom managed this is beyond comprehension - it sounds like I am bitching about it but I, for one, was taken by surprise and just felt the need to vent...

Last edited:
Rolex: Thank you. You have been rep'd. I thought I was alone in this opinion.

I tried to post nearly the same thing on this forum many times and got met with anger or disbelief.

The Wii version is essentially the same as the PS2 which wasnt as good as the GC graphics wise. The problem you see with cutscenes is because the GC version used the game engine to show cutscenes while the PS2/PC/Wii version use prerendered scenes. The funny part is that the PS2/PC/Wii version are using recordings of the scenes from the GC game engine! That is why the ISO of the PS2 verison is 3 times the size of the GC version.

I think its really funny that the third most hyped game on the system is a port of a 2 year old game. I could go on but unfortunately most of the board members have a closed mind.

Last edited:
ciper said:
Rolex: Thank you. You have been rep'd. I thought I was alone in this opinion.

I tried to post nearly the same thing on this forum many times and got met with anger or disbelief.

The Wii version is essentially the same as the PS2 which wasnt as good as the GC graphics wise. The problem you see with cutscenes is because the GC version used the game engine to show cutscenes while the PS2/PC/Wii version use prerendered scenes. The funny part is that the PS2/PC/Wii version are using recordings of the scenes from the GC game engine! That is why the ISO of the PS2 verison is 3 times the size of the GC version.

I think its really funny that the third most hyped game on the system is a port of a 2 year old game. I could go on but unfortunately most of the board members have a closed mind.

Ya I hate the closed minded members on this forum. Like those douchebags who say things like how RE4 is the most hyped game for the Wii. God you would think natural selection would have weeded them out a while ago.

p.s. People like the wii version because of the wiimote. Don't be a whiney hater just because you already played the **** out of this game on a different console. Not everyone is competing for supreme dork of the galaxy.

ciper said:

Ciper - The problem is that people are taking the game on it's former merits and not as a stand alone title, hence the browbeating for some opinions on it.

It's still a good game but not the wow that came out 2 years ago!! Capcom have surely basically used this a money maker for UC or to generate interest in UC. As far as I can tell Wii:RE4 hasn't the polish or effort put into it as the other games in the franchise to warrant a comparable review or the classic status that afforded the GC version!

It's a port of a classic game, which is just that - a port! It was a very anticipated title but people knew what it was before it was released. For me it doesn't quite live up to the hype surrounding it.

If you "want to go on" - my mind is at least open..

So the graphics are the same as the ps2 version?!

I really hope that's not true, but if it is so be it because the wii controls sound too awesome to pass up.

RE4 is pretty good. 8.5 in my view. But the graphics are a bit old and the controls arnt always good. This may sound kind of fussy but i relly dislike the type of font they use when selectioning somthing or getting some ammo or a green plant. It also looks kinda homebrand when you get some ammo or a plant.

En4Neo said:
So the graphics are the same as the ps2 version?!

I really hope that's not true, but if it is so be it because the wii controls sound too awesome to pass up.

Yep, they are [graphics] imho slightly worse than the GC version at least! The bulk of the game is based on the PS2 for some reason [as I understand it].

Don't think that this isn't a good game - it is - BUT it's a 2 year old port and as such is reflected in any criticism in this thread.

Buy it, you won't be disappointed if you loved the original or have never played it before.

It is a broken game in some ways and as such doesn't live up to it's billing, in my eyes. The controls aren't perfect but they do a good job!!

Rolex said:
Yep, they are [graphics] imho slightly worse than the GC version at least! The bulk of the game is based on the PS2 for some reason [as I understand it].

Don't think that this isn't a good game - it is - BUT it's a 2 year old port and as such is reflected in any criticism in this thread.

Buy it, you won't be disappointed if you loved the original or have never played it before.

It is a broken game in some ways and as such doesn't live up to it's billing, in my eyes. The controls aren't perfect but they do a good job!!

i do love this game - even more so because i havent played it another console so can not comment on the graphics. I've just finished the village section and am now touring the castle.

still unsure as to what weapons to upgrade to (i've got the punisher, shotgun and tmp with stock). These weapons have worked up to now. The sound and the atmosphere in the game is eerily awesome. The only thing I dont like about the game is the whole shooting/walking thing. You can shoot or you can walk - you can never seem to do both. Perhaps leon never studied that at espionage school. Also, you can only aim in the window - it took me a while to get used to using the nunchuk to look all around while aiming. If they moved the screen around while aiming and have it so that i can run and shoot then I'd be a happy bunny :crazy:

Its those little bits in the game that get me as well - like if the pres'daughter is at the top of a ladder and your climbing up she'll assume our looking up her skirt :lol:

Back