Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Revolution or Gimmick

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Chat' started by CottonEyeJoe, Jan 18, 2007.

1. CottonEyeJoe

CottonEyeJoe WiiChat Member

Hello everyone.

For christmas I received a total of $300.00 in ebgames gift certificates, and I was thinking about what to purchase.

I currently own a pretty decent PC and an Xbox (not 360)

I am 35 and like different types of games, rpg's, fps, strategy, action etc..

Lately however it seem that most games that are coming out seem to lack alot of originality and is just the same old playstyle with a new paintjob.

So what I am asking is how original is the playstyle for the Wii. Is it something that really gives gameplay a "fresh" feel. Or does it feel like more of a fad, cool and fun at the begining, but you see yourself losing interest in the long haul. Not necessarily about the Wii itself but the controls.

I am thinking of getting a Wii mostly because of the new control system, but I like the following as well.

Virtual Console - I love the old school games (hey i am 35:smilewinkgrin: )

Online gaming - I really liked x-box live, but i dont expect Nintendo to get at the level since it's free. But I do hope that it's somewhat similar.

And last but not least Nintendo's original games.

So is this the right buy for me? Or is the Wii idea just a hopeful one and will pass by the waysside with VR and Eyetoy

2. CashMoneyGifford

CashMoneyGifford WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 7173-8067-1288-5224
    7173-8067-1288-5224
    Do you have people over to play video games or are you more of a solitary gamer?

I love the wii, but it's a party system (as with pretty much any nintendo system). If you don't play video games in big groups the wii is going to lose some appeal.

Again, I love the wii and I'm glad its the only new console I own (I want to get a 360 too). But there have been threads with basement-dwellers saying they got bored with the wii too fast because they played 200 hours since they got it by themselves. The Wii is an amazing system that brings new gameplay and even new types of games, but it's designed for more than one person to play.

I'd say test out a wii or 360 over a friend's house and see which you like better. whatever you do, dont buy a ps3 ;)

3. ClawiLewak

ClawiLewak WiiChat Member

I would have to say that the wii, yes it can be seen as a party game, it is also a very strong single player console. At the moment there isnt that many big games out, but im sure that is about to change. If you ask me, the Wii is exactly the same as all the other games consoles, but it has an easier to use controller, and more potential with that controler. This is definately not the same as eye toy. For a starters, this thing can work in any conditions. lol.

Id say its a worthy investment.

4. ottoman

ottoman Banned

Wii Friend Code: 1156-6661-4692-6561
    1156-6661-4692-6561
    judging from what you like, then wii is for you. its for most people really, Cashmoney, although your not wrong you gave him a bit of a bad view lol. the wii IS designed for multi players, but it is also designed for 1 player gaming. 80% of my wii time is by myself, and i love it. LOVE it :) get a wii, trust me.

5. CashMoneyGifford

CashMoneyGifford WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 7173-8067-1288-5224
    7173-8067-1288-5224
    Well I agree, Twilight Princess is an amazing 1 player game and I do play that by myself quite frequently.

But when I'm having the most fun with the wii is when I have a ton of people over, have some drinks, and have a blast with wii sports and now Wario Ware.

ps... wario ware is MESSED UP when you are drunk.

6. CottonEyeJoe

CottonEyeJoe WiiChat Member

Thanks for the replies.

Yes I am pretty much a solo gamer, but I do like to play with others when I get the chance. But unfortunately I am married with a new kid and my social life has taken a serious dive.

That is why I hope the online aspect of it is somewhat decent. Just turn on the game and poof there is usually someone there to play.

I realize that nintendo has allot of party games though. Who knows maybe it will look fun enough for my wife to give it a try. :smilewinkgrin:

7. redfiat

redfiat WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 8642-0537-9880-5278
    8642-0537-9880-5278
    Hi, well Im 38 with 3 kids now (all under 8) and we all play the Wii together.
    Even my wife likes to play it , though mainly wii sports.
    The neighbours had their parents staying (in their 70's) and even they had a go on wii sports and really enjoyed themselves. This would never happen on any other console IMHO.

8. r4nDoM

r4nDoM WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 0260-1710-1294-2839
    0260-1710-1294-2839
    I would say revolution. End of story. Cause its a revolution and it is awesome!!

9. Lobstermobster

Lobstermobster Bat Out Of Hell

Wii Friend Code: 7929-6697-1940-8225
    7929-6697-1940-8225
    what they all said, plus the wii just came out.. give it some time to really get the goods flowing xbox 360 has ben out for ever so it def has soom good games out as of now.

10. christicehurst

christicehurst Gaming Legend

Wii Friend Code: 2188-6506-5465-4428
    2188-6506-5465-4428
    The DS had some poor games when it was released and Mario Kart DS kept them going. Now over a year and there's a wealth of great games. The Wii will be quite the same, give it another year from now.

11. Excite Truck

Excite Truck a new 360 owner

Wii Friend Code: 0215-4612-4224-9027
    0215-4612-4224-9027
    the wii is going to bust out some good games. just wait till the next half of 2007 for games like smash bros brawl and sadness.

12. elphebe

elphebe WiiChat Member

Just to weigh in, I'm 34, female and not what I would consider any sort of hard core gamer... I own a SNES and a PS2 and now the wii. I bought the PS2 specifically to play Kingdom Hearts, so that tells you what sort of games I'm into.

I love the wii!! Solo games like Zelda (and I was never a huge Zelda fan) rock although I dilly dally a lot while playing them and the wii sports will suck people in who claim they don't like video games. Even us older kids. ;)

The wii isn't that expensive, really... and personally I haven't had a single second of buyers remorse over the purchase even though I don't have time to play it every day.

13. iWii

iWii Banned

the motion sensing in the wii isnt so real, the moves are already pre-determined, meaning, in Zelda if you swing the sword in any way he'll do something different

#13 iWii, Jan 19, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  14. ClawiLewak

ClawiLewak WiiChat Member

Totally depends on the game, hold the remote properly on red steal and move it slowly, the movements are 1:1

15. TheMix

TheMix Lord of Jazz & Obscurity

Wii Friend Code: 5762-1277-3527-9496
    5762-1277-3527-9496
    That's not a completely accurate description.

A good example of the motion sensing could be Wii Boxing too, seeing as the glove really does move essentially where your hand does along the vertical plane.

Fact is, there hasn't been a whole lot of development time for this system yet, and I would very much expect that the motion sensing will get more complex and realistic as time moves forward.

16. PtonJalken

PtonJalken Ptowwnaagee!

Wii Friend Code: 7740-5070-1158-5119
    7740-5070-1158-5119
    I play alone and with friends.. fine with me.

They've had no time to tweak with it yet. And Zelda wasnt made for Wii, therefore its controls arent based around it. Learn ur facts.

#16 PtonJalken, Jan 19, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  17. DarthGohan1

DarthGohan1 WiiChat Member

The Wii is easily going to be the best party system ever, no doubt.

But, even for normal singleplayer play (or multiplayer online), I'm confident to say it's going to be great as well. LoZ:Twilight Princess is either the best launch game of all-time, or 2nd best, behind Mario 64 (tough call), but it is the best singleplayer game to come out in years - better than any singleplayer game of the last generation, I'd say.

Also, above, some people have commented on how realistic the controls feel.. all I have to say is that Wii Sports, for being a free game, as well as a game in the first wave of games to come out for Wii, the controls for it just show how much can be done with Wii... it's amazing... and you'll be in awe the first time you play Wii too.

18. Sovieto

Sovieto Banned

360 also offers older games like street fighter, dig dug, galaga, and new games
    a lot of games coming out are just improving on the previous one but its not a bad thing
    360 is also for all your solo and friend gaming (not wife though xD)
    360 is 300, all though you need harddrive for arcade games which is the 400 version which comes with lots o extras
    just another option...since the wii is party-orientated