Router detected, but inaccessible

Kookas

WiiChat Member
Oct 29, 2009
Hello, I have a little issue with connecting to my router ..

My router, a Belkin 54g (Model F5D7230-4), is inaccessible for some reason .. when I do a search for all available access points on my Wii, it does detect it, and it shows it as unlocked and with an excellent signal (three bars). However, when I choose it, it cannot connect during the test. It fails and gives me error 52230. I have the channel set to Auto mode, the Wii is added to the MAC address filtering, and the router is in the same room as the Wii - it's not a particularly big room, either. Some help would be nice, although I don't mind Internet that much. I have relatives who have the Wii console too and it would be great to play Mario Kart with them.

Have you check the firmware of the router to see if its the lastest? Give the Wii a static IP and use opendDNS 208.67.222.222/208.67.220.220 and set the MTU to auto (setting it to zero is auto). Change the channel from auto to something like 11 also.

Try setting your router to mixed or b only mode. Save it. Turn the wii off (till led is red not orange) re-boot the router, when the routers lights are all on turn Wii on then try to connect. Also set your MTU in router to 1500 and same in the Wii settings not to auto.

Heres what Nintendo says:

Error Code: 52230

There appears to be an issue with your wireless router's firewall.

1. To ensure wireless interference is not causing the problem, click here to review our "Slow Downloads or Errors Received While Connecting" help.

2. It is possible that your Internet Service Provider (ISP) is not compatible with the Wii console. For instance, if you need to login with a user name and password when you try to go online for the first time after restarting your PC, your ISP is likely not compatible. Please contact your service provider for more information.

3. If this error occurs regularly, while you are playing at home, it is likely a connection problem related to your firewall settings. For more information on firewalls, click here.

Comcast users, please click here to view the Wireless Routers with Comcast-branded firmware which we have identified as being potentially incompatible with the Wii console.

5. Are you using a Netgear brand wireless router? Our expeirence shows disabling the "SPI Firewall" of the router may help the connection. The "SPI Firewall" option is typically found under the "WAN Setup" tab of the router's settings. For information on accessing your router's settings, please click here and select the model of the Netgear router you own (if available).

If you are still receiving this error code, please click here for assistance. End of Nintendos site message.

EDIT: The MTU is not always 1500. If your internet is always on and you do not use a username and password to log on its 1500.
If you have internet that requires a username/password (some cable companies/dsl require one) it needs to be set appropriately usually 1492 and also in your router settings.
I have no speed problems why would I change it? Besides 0 or auto doesnt connect for either of my Wiis. Also channel 6 works better for me. I get connected to brawls in basic very quickly. Maybe because everyones now using 11 lol who knows. I have at times used an alternate DNS servers until my cable company went fiberoptic.
If your updates are slow regardless of where the router is and 3 full bars.... the quality of your signal maybe a problem. Try moving them closer but keep at least 4ft between the Wii and router, use the Wii in an upright position, get it off the floor and up on a shelf as should your router not down low.

If you really want speed hook the Wii up to the router via ethernet/lan adapter. $20.00 and it never fails.

Last edited:
I mention MTU size to auto after this test.

http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-wii-online/62775-speed-up-your-wii-internet-connection.html

It makes sense as with all programs when set to auto the Wii always uses 1500 but will drop that down to improve latency. On a computer it is always set to the highest but autoadjust to improve.

KCKAS try loading up the Nintendo Channel with both auto and 1500 MTU and see if you get a difference in load speed for the Channel. If you don't then it might of been a small case where I and the other users that have made the change got a speed bump and improve online games. Let me know, so I can try doing some test.

One thing that is probably useful is that my Nintendo DS works just fine with the WiFi.

JUst trying to get her online for now. She can always get tweaks later.
However.. The mtu can be reduced. The reason it is so big is an attempt to accomodate large amounts of data transfer in 1 packet without fragmenting or dropping. Everyone wants all the data now hence large mtu and RWIN.

MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) is the greatest amount of data that can be transferred in one physical frame on the network. If a packet that has a smaller MTU than the packet's frame length is sent, fragmentation will occur. For TCP (Transmission Control Protocol) MTU can range from 68 to 1500 bytes. Larger MTUs provide for lower overhead (fewer headers).
close window

You have a point that you may see a small increase in speed in gaming. Why?
If you lower the mtu it lowers the amount of data that windows waits for to send a packet.
It maybe milliseconds or more but when you need that millisecond in battle it helps.
I have done this before also, the problem then is when I use my pc it is too small.
Instead of changing settings everytime I play I disable Nagles Alg.

You can Disable Nagle's algorithm which allows very small packets to be sent quickly. Very effective in brawl. Ill be happy to post it if anyone one wants it.
I was told it reduces WOW latency up to 50%.
As for DNS servers. You can also flush your dns cache to recover the speed your usual servers once had.
It caches old junk for speed but dead links get accessed over and over slowing things down. Makes it appear the servers are slow.
To do that: go to start run type cmd then hit enter.
at command prompt type ipconfig /flushdns hit enter
It will say something like success! thats it.
There is a space after ipconfig.

Last edited:
Back