Dec 27, 2006
andover
Wii Online Code
5746-0228-4938-3384
ive been advised 2 different ways to connect wii to internet
1. router
2. wi-fi usb connector

which will be the best option for me please
at present iam on a normal broadband connection (ntl)

thanks fran

Well i have a wireless router (only got it cause i needed it for the 360 too though). Works perfect, just started the wii up, put in the WEP code and it was ready to go. The USB adapter is probably cheaper than a good wireless router, the disadvantage being you need to have your pc on, and its slower than a good router (although i think the wii only has a 54mbps card, anyone?). It might be harder to setup the usb adapter too, because you need to set it up so your pc shares its internet to it

i say you go for the router because you never know when you might need one in the future besides you can get routers for about 50 bucks now which is only 10 dollars more than a usb adapter that requires the pc to be on.

Shadowpunk said:
i say you go for the router because you never know when you might need one in the future besides you can get routers for about 50 bucks now which is only 10 dollars more than a usb adapter that requires the pc to be on.

Yea a very valid point too, you never know what you might get in the future that would require an access point.

router

ok i think maybe i will go for router so could you tell me which one as i live in uk

thanks fran

I've got mine connected via a Belkin ADSL Modem with Wireless-G Router.
Initially I had problems with the security settings and had to change from WAP to WEP security, but now connect 24/7 with no hitches and fast transfer rates.
Just wish it could be utilised more with online gaming.
Come on Nintendo, get the online games going quick.:crazy:

router

in the back of my modem there is 3 wires going into this

enet
pwr
cable

the other one is usb which is empty
so iam not sure what i need to do

well the cable will being going into the modem from wherever your internet is coming from (eg mine is an antenna on the roof) and then the ethernet is going into your pc yea? so all you need is a wireless cable router which will go between your pc and modem. The one i have (and highly recommend) is the D-link DI-624

router

ok i now have a linksys router and i have set this up now
iam going to have a little play later tonight and try and add a few friends ect ect if i can.

Giving the fact that it seems everyone is having trouble with the Wi Fi, I think the wired route is probably the better way. In fact Im about to take my Wi Fi back and get the "LAN adaptor" in the instruction manual.

Carbinekid said:
Giving the fact that it seems everyone is having trouble with the Wi Fi, I think the wired route is probably the better way. In fact Im about to take my Wi Fi back and get the "LAN adaptor" in the instruction manual.

I have a LinkSys WRT54G V.6 and it works perfectly

Back