Router wifi problem

Clish

PM me if you add my wii
Jan 10, 2007
Wii Online Code
8448-6260-2078-1629
so it turns out that my wireless router would not let me connect to play online.... and when i checked nintendo.ca it says that for the particular linksys router i have i need to disable to WEP key to connect.. which sucks caz then the network will be vulnerable... sign

I have a linksys router but i dont use WEP, i personally dont need WEP as most people in my area have a wireless connection , but its rare for someone to hack into your connection. All they can do is use your connection which isnt really that bad,unless you dont like people using your network. You do know you can enter your WEP key when your wii finds your connection. Im presuming thats what you need.

Its better to have it protected so that free runners don't leech off of you, although I can understand your position.

yah ... ISP's are charging for the amount we use... so i cant really afford to let others piggyback off us... but yah.. what i meant is that we cant even use WEP (at least what Nintendo says caz i can't connect) but hey.. it is kinda like a hit and miss thing.. sometimes it connects.... mostly it doesn't

Clish said:
yah ... ISP's are charging for the amount we use... so i cant really afford to let others piggyback off us... but yah.. what i meant is that we cant even use WEP (at least what Nintendo says caz i can't connect) but hey.. it is kinda like a hit and miss thing.. sometimes it connects.... mostly it doesn't
Have you checked that your router is set to channel 1, 6 or 11. It connects much better on any one of these channels.

Clish said:
So they charge for all traffic in and out on an always on connection? Dosen't that make some things hard to do? What if you run a program that requires an interent connection 24/7, wouldn't that get expensive? Anyway, yeah, somebody piggybacking your connection is never good definately if your connection is like mine where I run a file server

gamechaser001 said:
So they charge for all traffic in and out on an always on connection? Dosen't that make some things hard to do? What if you run a program that requires an interent connection 24/7, wouldn't that get expensive? Anyway, yeah, somebody piggybacking your connection is never good definately if your connection is like mine where I run a file server
It really depends what that program is doing, if its downloading huge data then yes it would get expensive But somthing like wiiconnect24 doesn't use that much.

that is why im glad my ISP gives unlimited upload and download. personally i dont care if someone uses my connection as long as it isnt anything illegal or anything that takes up lots of bandwidth. however every one of my neighbors have high speed so it doesnt matter :p

well the ISP doesn't charge per byte.. but what they do is limit your speed if you go over... you should check with your ISP too caz they advertise it as "unlimited" caz they do give you as much as you need.. they just restrict your speed if they need..... :mad5:

and just an update.. i kept the WEP and it connected to nintendo's wifi thingy.... i played a game of tetris... yaya (got pwned..... :() but i still can't play MarioKart DS.... it like stays that the searchiing for player screen.. occationally i get this blinking thing but then it goes away after a while

Clish said:
and just an update.. i kept the WEP and it connected to nintendo's wifi thingy.... i played a game of tetris... yaya (got pwned..... :() but i still can't play MarioKart DS.... it like stays that the searchiing for player screen.. occationally i get this blinking thing but then it goes away after a while

that just means there's no one on to play with. go worldwide and you'll always find some japanese kids to find (they're really good, though). that's not racist, please, no flaming.

Just out of curiosity, what brand of Linksys router do you have? I had the same problems with WEP on my linksys router and eventually figured out how to get it to work.

Oceanic said:
Just out of curiosity, what brand of Linksys router do you have? I had the same problems with WEP on my linksys router and eventually figured out how to get it to work.
i for the WRT54GC the one that looks like a square...

and btw i was on worldwide o_O and still can't get ppl to play

Back