Router's security

gzusnw

WiiChat Member
Oct 7, 2006
Mexico
Wii Online Code
8631-7650-3694-5161
HEY I have a router at home secured with WAP service.... will the wii WiFi connection work? Or do i need to change to the WEP service??

Yeah it will be just like the ds system it will just come up with a keyboard on screen and you type the password in

^^ Except that the DS only supports WEP encryption, not WAP. WAP is more secure, but it's not compatible with the DS. I don't know if the Wii will have this support or not. The DS also only supported 802.11B, which has since been replaced by G and soon to be N, so I would suspect that the Wii may have more Wireless support options.

I really hope it supports both WEP and WPA. WEP can be cracked in about 10 minutes in many cases.

NunChuck said:
I really hope it supports both WEP and WPA. WEP can be cracked in about 10 minutes in many cases.

That's why you use MAC address lock so only the systems with the known MAC address can access your router.

Evi1d33d said:
That's why you use MAC address lock so only the systems with the known MAC address can access your router.

I can clone a MAC address as well, still WPA and WPA2 is currently your best bet for security.

another good thing to do is to turn off SSID broadcast. This way, it's harder to even tell that there is a network to try to crack (although, WiFi sniffers can still find it). Combine that with a MAC filter and WEP and you can definitely keep out the average war driver.

Back