Rygar: Battle of Argus: Underrated?

slicknixon

WiiChat Member
Mar 1, 2009
just finished the game. i thought it was pretty amazing albeit a bit short. only took me 5 hours to beat on medium difficulty.

i can't understand why this game got such horrible ratings. i saw a lot of 5/10's for this game and i would give it an easy 7.5 - 8.0/10.

I had the original on ps2 ,but i got rid of my ps2 because i never played it between my Wii ,and 360. So when it came out on Wii i bought it day one because i loved the original.

To me the game is every bit as good as the original. Its a good action game ,and doesn't force motion controls on ya.

I like the games that leave the motion controls for special things not for everything.

Death Jr was another game good for that your special attacks were mapped to motions ,but the main was the B button. So it felt satisfying to beat on the guy with the B button then just take a nice swing to finish him off.

The problem with Rygar (as far as reviews goes) is that it's very, very dated now. This is a PS2 port of a 6 year old game. Since this was originally made the genre has evolved (God of War most notably) and Rygar while fun is not up to par with other similar games.

Also it's a horrible value. RE4 also a port - of one of the Gamecubes best games - was $40 on release, as is Dead Rising (a revised port of a 360 game). Rygar is a full $60 without any added content to justify that price. You can pick up the identical PS2 version for $10.

Sure, the game is recycled and out-dated but you probably wouldn't be playing the game if you didn't like the original NES game, and that one's really outdated.

Also, sure the the game isn't very long but what is there is golden. I especially liked the poseidonia level with it's beautiful atmosphere & music and awesome (but easy) boss battle.

All in all, if you haven't played the PS2 version, i would highly recommend giving it a go.

GameRace your information is completely incorrect.

Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition came out at 29.99
Rygar came out ,and still is for 39.99 not 59.99 in fact no Wii games unless they are something like Boogie have come out for 59.99.

In fact with a few exceptions a lot of the most recent Wii games have released under 49.99 being between 29.99 ,and 39.99 such as

Pitfall Big Adventure
Tomb Raider Underworld
Rygar Battle of Argus
Dead Rising Chop Till You Drop
Onecharbara

Then soon theres going to be

NPC Pikmin 29.99
NPC Mario Tennis 29.99
NPC DK Jungle Beat 29.99
Klonoa 39.99
Excitebots 39.99
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Echoes of Time 39.99

So i think at the least Wii titles are coming down on their MSRP who knows maybe by next year every Wii game will release between 29.99 ,and 39.99

@Maximo - Sorry those are Canadian prices I'm giving.

Here Electronic Boutique has Rygar for $54 or $59 dollars, I've seen Dead Rising for $39 and Onechanbara is $35, House of the Dead: Overkill is $59, Deadly Creatures $54 and Tenchu $49 to give you some comparisons. Irregardless, for a almost direct port of such an old game even $39 is way out of whack when the much better RE4 was $10 cheaper a year and a half ago for a port of a much newer game.

@Maximo - Sorry those are Canadian prices I'm giving.

Here Electronic Boutique has Rygar for $54 or $59 dollars, I've seen Dead Rising for $39 and Onechanbara is $35, House of the Dead: Overkill is $59, Deadly Creatures $54 and Tenchu $49 to give you some comparisons. Irregardless, for a almost direct port of such an old game even $39 is way out of whack when the much better RE4 was $10 cheaper a year and a half ago for a port of a much newer game.

RE:4 was $30 when I bought it from EBGames. Their prices can be a little whack though and games are often cheaper at Walmart or Futureshop.

I would guess that most Rygar reviews were based on the U.S. $39 price and not the Canadian $49 anyway; so perhaps it was slightly underated.

I never played the original Rygar and I'm interested in the Wii version but I won't pick it up untill it's on sale for $20 or there's no other games I want.

Back