S-Video Cables & Wii

Joe Siegler

WiiChat Member
Dec 18, 2006
I've got a Wii, and like most people was playing it with the cables that came in the box. The talk is mostly about component cables, but with no HD set, my increased quality salvation would come in the form of S-Video cables (which I have everything going through (DVD player, 360, TiVo) anyway.

So I was waiting for this to become available in my local Worst Buy. In the meantime I read online where you could use your Gamecube cable with your Wii. So I went and located my old Gamecube S-Video cable, and plugged it in.

The thing works - to a point. Everything is in Black & White! Ugh. It is a much crisper signal, but no color. I was really hoping I'd ditched the need to spend another $20/$25 on an Svideo cable. I went through all the settings in the Wii, and there was nothing relevant to this. This is the same cable I used when I had my Gamecube on the same TV, so I would think the cable's either become broken in storage, or it really can't be used with the Wii.

Anyone else run into this? Is there a way out with this, or am I stuck buying another cable?

Last edited:
I think you are stuck buying another cable. I've read about people saying that the Gamecube S-video cable simply doesn't work with Wii but they never went into details so I'm not sure if they experienced the black + white coloring. I'd wait for more replies but my guess is you'll need a new cable.

I have a non-HD 42" plasma, and like you I have s-video going from EVERY device I own to it. Was using s-video for my wii until I got hold of a Component cable today and tried it, what a difference, better colours, sharp/clear small text that you can now ready properly, not fuzzy.

Well worth going the component route even on a non-HD screen I think :)

The Svideo cable for the Gamecube also has red/white/yellow in with it.

i want a decent picture for my wii but im gonna need a new t.v i got a crap standard t.v so does any 1 no a cheap t.v that has either a component cable socket (red/green/blue) or a s-video cable please help
iam from the u.k so u.s t.v's no good

Yeah, I realized when I was hooking up my TV, that I was thinking it was cool I had a built in DVD player, but than when I hooked up my Wii I realized that built-in feature came at a price. No s-video or component just regular ol' composite. Well to make a long story short, I'm saving for a project now.

By the way, welcome to the forum gamer and Joe.

Hey Gamer, does your TV not even have a scart socket on the back ??

GAME are selling official Wii -> SCART RGB leads for £22 and the picture clarity compared to the composite leads you get free with the Wii has to be seen to be believed.

scart lead n t.v

yea its got a scart socket but its just my t.v its like a cheap make that nobodys heard of the picture comes up all blury even with a scart scoket i dont want the best t.v just sumthing thats alot better then the 1 i got and at a cheap price so if you know any decent t.v's please tell me
(im from the u.k)

does your tv menu have an option to set scart AV1 to RGB?
That would be where you see the difference...what make, out of interest?

nah its got nothing like that the t.v's called "proline" 15" (im looking everywhere on the internet 4 a decent cheap t.v but most t.v's im looking at dont even have 6ohz so im still searching)

I ended up having to buy the regular S-Video cable for the Wii.

The one for the Gamecube worked, but only in black and white, darnit.

Back