S-Video Cables

UKTotty

WiiChat Member
Dec 31, 2006
I bought a new Blaze S-Video cable so I can run my wii through my AV Amp like my dvd, sky, hdd, ps2 etc.
I have plugged the cable into the Wii but cant find ANY settings in the Wii to output over S-Video instead of RGB
Cab anyone help please?

Oldschool Smasher said:
Wii doesnt support S-Video diretly sadly. But you can buy a rca-to-S Video conveter.:thumbsup:
Not correct.

S-Video runs at 480i, the same resolution that composite runs at. There is no "setting" to change, simply by using the s-video cables you are getting a better picture than composite because s-video seperates brightness and color. Component video supports both analog and digital transmission, so if you want higher resolution video you should invest in those cables.

I dont want higher resolution I want to run S-Video
I have s-video out from my amp and everything i own runs s-video INTO my amp.
At the mo I have to change the tv to scart, play the game and then change it all back again, all i wanna do it click AUX on the amp so it sends svideo to the plasma.
Why the hell make an s-vid cable if the bloody thing doesnt support svideo?

tighr said:
Not correct.

S-Video runs at 480i, the same resolution that composite runs at. There is no "setting" to change, simply by using the s-video cables you are getting a better picture than composite because s-video seperates brightness and color. Component video supports both analog and digital transmission, so if you want higher resolution video you should invest in those cables.
The Wii does support s-video, why do you think that the wii has a cable for it. And, also, there is no setting to change it to s-video, all you do is plug it up and play it. If there's no video, then connect it directly to the tv. Also, tighr, s-video runs at 480 is correct, but the composite is not needed to. In fact, some people claim that it runs at about 380-420 lines. One more thing, component is an analog signal, not digital signal.

The Wii does support S-Video. I was simply telling you that there is no setting on the Wii that needs to be changed in order to have it work.

Are you having an issue getting your AV Receiver to display the Wii? If so, I would think the issue is with your receiver.

Justinyoung said:
Also, tighr, s-video runs at 480 is correct, but the composite is not needed to. In fact, some people claim that it runs at about 380-420 lines. One more thing, component is an analog signal, not digital signal.
Component can indeed be a digital signal (the wikipedia article for component video cables), but I never said anything about it not being analog.

Also, I was simply comparing s-video to composite cable by saying that it is 480i. In actuality, 480i is an ATSC standard, and both composite and s-video are NTSC standards ;-)

Thanks for your input, though.

Last edited:
=DD I thought that the digital component was converted back to digital, as in analog to digital to analog. Y/Cb/Cr is what i thought was a-d-a, while Y/Pb/Pr was just all analog. go figure:idea:

Justinyoung said:
=DD I thought that the digital component was converted back to digital, as in analog to digital to analog. Y/Cb/Cr is what i thought was a-d-a, while Y/Pb/Pr was just all analog. go figure:idea:

Yeah thats where most people get confused. However is there any type of S-Video cable that can hook up directly to the Wii?

Oldschool Smasher said:
Is there any type of S-Video cable that can hook up directly to the Wii?
Yes, I saw a React brand S-Video cable for the Wii at Best Buy last week. It was $19.99 or something along those lines. There has been an S-video adapter for every Nintendo system since at least the N64. The Gamecube was the first Nintendo system to support component cables and progressive video.

Dunno much bout AV stuff but I have got my Wii running through my stereo...

I just split the cable component cable (Think thats its name - the one with red white and yellow plug things) so I could get the yellow one in the scart adapter going into the TV and the audio ones to my amp.

If you dont have your TV near your amp just by a good quality extension cable with femal to male ends.

Not sure how that works if your using hidef though.

Sounds wicked when you crank up red steel!!!

Back