s-video

google12

WiiChat Member
Jun 22, 2007
Wii Online Code
8823-1592-8211-4144
hi, I'm wondering something. If you buy an s video cable and use it can you do the EDTV setting. Just wondering so that i know if I should get it or not.

Are you asking about the display settings? I am not sure because I do not have the S-Video Cable. I am using the Component Cable. I think that is the only way you can get the 480P setting. So you answer is No.

s-video is capable of 480p so i would assume so but im not 100% sure. i would check around on the net for the answer to that

I have the S-video cable (although not the Nintendo one). No, you can't choose 480p with it.

billcsho said:
I have the S-video cable (although not the Nintendo one). No, you can't choose 480p with it.

K thanks. One more question, does it actually help?

Svideo is better, i have my dvd player hooked up to my only component spot on my tv. So component cables are out for the wii (def not changing back and forth, that'd drive my wife mad) It's a CRT 27 inch normal standard tv. Should I just go with SVIDEO and call it a day so I won't have to switch back and forth. My wife is already mad that I have this monstrous tv in our very very small room. Would Svideo be worth it, or should I not even bother because it won't make THAT much of a difference?

S-video output is only marginally better than the composite. If you have component input on your TV, definitely go for it. If something is already taking the component input, get a switch box. I am waiting for my component cable to hook up to my projector, so I am using the S-video for the time being and keep the composite for the standard TV.

billcsho said:
S-video output is only marginally better than the composite. If you have component input on your TV, definitely go for it. If something is already taking the component input, get a switch box. I am waiting for my component cable to hook up to my projector, so I am using the S-video for the time being and keep the composite for the standard TV.

Thats not exactly right. Progressive component is definitely the best BUT -

SVideo is significantly better than composite.

Svideo compared to interlaced component is minor

[/u]The luma portion of the picture on Svideo and interlaced component should be equal![/u]
The overwhelming majority of the picture information (95%?) is in the black and white portion (luma).

billcsho said:
i keep my wii in my basement which is pretty big, but that only has composite and s video (and component too, which is being used and i dont want to get a switch box.) i have component in an average sized room, do i have enough room to play wii?

Are you using a TV or projector? If you don't want to get a switch box, then you have no other choice. A component switch box can be cheap though. Basically, you can use a SIMPLE AV switch box with Yellow/Red/White RCA ports. Just make sure you are consistent in color subsitition at the connections.
In the weekends, I set up my Wii in the family room with a projector that put an 80" image on the wall. It is very good for playing tennis in large open space. I can tell the difference between composite and S-video, but the cost of the S-video cable is not much cheaper (even more expensive sometimes) than the component one. You may get a component cable for Wii at PCMicro for $9 shipped.

Hey guys, im confused here.
I thought the component cable was the best way to get the best picture and audio out of the wii. Now people are saying that an s video can be better?
Which is actually going to give you the best performance?

Read carefully. No one said S-video is better than component. Audio is the same no matter which video out option you choose. Don't mix up composite with component.

ciper said:
SVideo is significantly better than composite.

It depends how do you define "significant". I have tried S-video and composite on an XGA projector and on a TV. In either case, the S-video is only slightly better. That is also what I read some other reviews too.

Back