Diomedes

WiiChat Member
Aug 5, 2006
Australia
Wii Online Code
1234-1234-1234-1234
Safari 3 BETA

Apple_Safari.png

Safari 3, Apple's first multiplatform web browser is now available for download by the public. Safari 3 BETA has been designed for speed performance, up to 3 times faster than IE (1.6 times faster than FF) in HTML, javascript and applications. This allows pages to load faster. Other special features include elegent and easy user interface, snapback and optimised pop-up blocker.

I soon will test this new software and see if its speed is really worth the switch. I watch it with a wary eye though, apple has already spotted out three major flaws in security. This may mean there are others. FireFox is notably the safest browser around so it will mean more caution for the switch. Perhaps ill just wait longer till the bugs are ironed out. However that doesnt mean you should not give it a try!

Safari has a 4.5% markets share while FF has a 25% as of this month.

Safari is proprietary closed code from Apple
Firefox is licensed as both free and open source software

So far Firefox is closer to supporting standards than Safari.

More developers are creating extensions/plugins for firefox.

Firefox has been ported to to over 10 different operating systems at last count.

After using using and testing Safari on Windows most of today here are my thoughts

Positives
*Renders pages extremely fast as promised
* Text and page re-sizing is a plus when minimizing windows, lots of other browsers don't do this or do it properly
*compatible with most websites
*Improved text search is very handy,
Negatives
* A little buggy, crashed a few times while visiting a few websites
*Interface does not integrate well with XP (apparantly Vista OS GUI too), gets a
little confusing as when you use Safari it feels like you're using a
mac, and when you close the browser, you realize you're using windows,
feels a little uneasy
*Limited GUI, no interface for changing themes or adding more functionality to the browser. most options are already available through FF
*Bookmarking system is way too tacky, Apple needs to learn from
firefox, takes way to long you look through a bookmarks list on Safari.
*No options for cache management, can't set how big you want your
browsers cache to be for faster page viewing of visited websites

so there we have it

igoogle really sucks.

Firefox is the best, safest and broadest browser trust me

ciper said:
Safari has a 4.5% markets share while FF has a 25% as of this month.

Safari is proprietary closed code from Apple
Firefox is licensed as both free and open source software

So far Firefox is closer to supporting standards than Safari.

More developers are creating extensions/plugins for firefox.

Firefox has been ported to to over 10 different operating systems at last count.
woow some of your facts are wrong. FF's market share is 33.7% as of last month. whilst safari has a 1.5% share.
'closed code' vs open source, doesn't make any difference to the standard or even advanced user.
Actually safari is 100% standard compliance, where as firefox is only about 95%.
Yup more developers, that also means more junk, safari has good extensions, firefox has some amazing extensions but trying to find those in the mess of all the crap ones is hard.

I recently downloaded Safari 3.0 for my MacBook. The new features are pretty good. The reason I don't like FireFox is that it's not supportive of my comp. I still think it's a great browser, just not for Mac. I also use Camino which is FireFox but formatted for Macs.

Back