Sales Tax on Wii Points

I bought points in Wisco when I was home for Christmas and paid the 5% tax, and yes, it's better than if I bought them here in TX with ridiculous 8.25% tax. It proves what they always say "Everything's worse in Texas".

I'm from New Brunswick, Canada, and I had to pay 20 dollars USD, plus, they charged me the 14% New Brunswick Tax on top of that, AND that 14% was in USD!!! That almost sounds illegal to me! I'm actually paying more tax then my province demands, even though I'm buying it online from another country!!!

I phoned Nintendo on it, and they told me it was too complicated to figure out the exchange rates, so everyone got charged tax in US dollars.

I feel like I should report this somewhere, but I just don't know where....

durabull said:
I'm from New Brunswick, Canada, and I had to pay 20 dollars USD, plus, they charged me the 14% New Brunswick Tax on top of that, AND that 14% was in USD!!! That almost sounds illegal to me! I'm actually paying more tax then my province demands, even though I'm buying it online from another country!!!

I phoned Nintendo on it, and they told me it was too complicated to figure out the exchange rates, so everyone got charged tax in US dollars.

I feel like I should report this somewhere, but I just don't know where....
Of course the %14 is in US dollars. That's still 14% of what you paid because you paid in US dollars. That makes sense to me. If you paid for it in canadian dollars 1000 wii points would be about $12.00 canadian. You would then get charged %14 on the whole $12.00. What nintendo did makes sense to me. They charged you 14% of 10 american dollars which is $1.40 american. If the transaction was in canadian dollars you would get charged $1.68 canadian in tax.

I'm bumping this topic because i'm in BC Canada and want to know what the deal is on wii points using credit card. Is it cheaper to buy a card $20 + tax at walmart or $20 USD online (with tax???)?

yo danny i live in ma too i got the same thing, i bought a 10 dollar wii card and all together it came up to 10.50
oh yeah dude add my wii code

I mean, I am going to end up paying 14% sales tax on a wii card from the store, I don't mind that i'm getting an additional 1000 points with it. Do I pay the 14% tax on the US price online? If so then it's stupid to not buy the cards if you can find them cause they are that much cheaper!

It's just like buying anything over the internet or over the phone or through a catalog. If the company you are buying from has a presence in your state, then they must change sales tax, just like shopping in a store.

Back