Satellite And the WII

bubba_paul_bear

WiiChat Member
Feb 6, 2007
Help
We just hooked up our WII and set up the Wireless Access point. A went well, was able to find and connect to the access point, download the updates, go to the news and forcast channels find, but when we tried the WII Shop channel, it hangs on the " Connecting Please Wait" . Well called the Nintendo support, and after about an hr. was told that the WII will not work with Satellite internet connection. I find this hard to believe since I am able to connect and download updates, and access the other channels. Has anyone else had this problem?
Thanks

Yes. I had and have actually this problem, but with the 56k connection. I live in Italy, and i called Nintendo Italy Support...They were very unprofessional...They proffered me to send them Wii to change it...I was'nt agree, because i think it's a connection problem, not a Wii problem. So they told me to write an email to the support center. I had no answer.

I hope Nintendo releases a patch for the Wii Shop channel, i think it has a lot of bugs.

Last edited:
i have satelite and it did not want to connect to the shop channel the night i got the satelite installed but i tried it in the morning and it worked. got to see all the new games out for the vc.

yeah i think alot of people are getting problems with their connection, even if the connection test goes ok and the updates start to install

last night i finally got round to putting my wii online, set up the connection etc, test said it was fine, but it took a few attempts to finish dloading.

do you get error codes at all?

bubba_paul_bear said:
was able to find and connect to the access point, download the updates, go to the news and forcast channels find, but when we tried the WII Shop channel, it hangs on the " Connecting Please Wait" .

Am having the exact same problem. Tried numerous times over several days. Everything online seems to work fine except for the Wii Shop Channel.

My ISP is Hughes, I have the DW4000 modem, and am using MS Internet Connection Sharing (yuk). The Wii connects wirelessly through a WGT624 v2Netgear router.

I did a packet trace of the Wii while it was attempting to access the Shop Channel and I noticed it was using SSL when doing so. The Wii did some communicating with Nintendo servers but then ended the sessions. I didn't see any obvious problems in the trace.

I do know that SSL over satellite is horrible in general because of the high latency and the nature of the protocol and wonder if the Wii is not being "patient" enough.

Can anyone who successfully connected to the Shop Channel over satellite comment on your setup?

ka3ak said:
Am having the exact same problem. Tried numerous times over several days. Everything online seems to work fine except for the Wii Shop Channel.

My ISP is Hughes, I have the DW4000 modem, and am using MS Internet Connection Sharing (yuk). The Wii connects wirelessly through a WGT624 v2Netgear router.

I did a packet trace of the Wii while it was attempting to access the Shop Channel and I noticed it was using SSL when doing so. The Wii did some communicating with Nintendo servers but then ended the sessions. I didn't see any obvious problems in the trace.

I do know that SSL over satellite is horrible in general because of the high latency and the nature of the protocol and wonder if the Wii is not being "patient" enough.

Can anyone who successfully connected to the Shop Channel over satellite comment on your setup?

Why in the world would you use ICS if you have a wireless router?

mym6 said:
Why in the world would you use ICS if you have a wireless router?

The model satellite modem I have will connect only to a USB port. That's why I must connect it to my PC and use ICS. My wireless router isn't routing but is only being used as a wireless access point.

Last edited:
lordmat0 said:
Is the connection you're using on connection 1?

Not sure what you're asking but the connection being shared is the satellite modem USB interface.

If you are referring to the wireless channel, I did change it to channel 1 but it did not help.

Last edited:
I have Hughes/Direcway internet as well. It will begin downloading the updates, but it will have an error message maybe 10-20% into it. I am getting very upset that I can't download all the games I want ; ;

My internet hooked up fine...

My computer that is sittin like 2 metres away from the wii has a wireless modem hooked up to my step dads in another room. i just got the info on the wireless for my comp put it all in and i was connected fine no problems at all.

ka3ak said:
Not sure what you're asking but the connection being shared is the satellite modem USB interface.

If you are referring to the wireless channel, I did change it to channel 1 but it did not help.
I mean that the connection on the wii.
You know that on the wii you can set up to 3 differnet connections, did you put the wireless access point on number 1? since when mine was on number 2 i could do everything except going on the wii shop channel.

mk_south_london said:
mine connect perfectly. But i use wifi not satellite
Well most of us are using Wifi as well, but with a satellite connection.

Back