screen capturing Wii - ideas?

Cjv

WiiChat Member
Dec 19, 2006
Wii Online Code
6034-0977-1447-4634
I'm looking for a way to capture images from my Wii sessions on my computer (to put images on websites, etc.) and I'm not happy with the results when I take pictures of my TV screen (don't have one of those perfectly flat, glarefree LCD sets which 'takes great pictures'... just a regular old TV!)

I"m thinking along the lines of, feeding my Wii's video out into a video In on my computer. I don't have an ATI capture card or anything... does anyone know if there are affordable Firewire video inputs?
Any other ideas for screen capture?

Chris

Not sure but maybe if you email gamespot or IGN someone will be nice enough to tell you what they use....I doubt it though.

There are pretty simple capture devices out there that don't cost too much. Problem could be though that you can't see it very well (or at all, possibly, depending on capture program) on the computer. You might want to look into something which allows you to send signal to the computer and tv.

If you want stills, you could take pictures, if you set up the settings (shutter speed, iso etc...) correctly you should get good results.

If I were to personally attempt to capture video/pics off my wii, I could use my Canopus ADVC-100. It'd allow me to send a signal via firewire to my computer as well as send a video out to my TV. I didn't buy it to capture video games, nor have I tried it, but it's tempting now that I think of it.

You need some device that watches the connection between the Wii and your TV. Something with both input and output for the red/white/yellow cables. Kinda like a VCR but records in a digital format.

there is a device that you can plug the wii video cords into and then plug the other end into the tv it works as a filter in a way, and you push a button and it records whatever passes through the cable, and then when ur done you push the button again i think and it stops, and it hooks to ur computer with a USB cord, i dont remember how much it is tho :p it was at the walmart tho

you can buy a tv tuner card for like $25 or $30 now a days but what i have is a usb capture device :)

Edit:

I'll post a video to show you what it looks like.

Last edited:
lars said:
There are pretty simple capture devices out there that don't cost too much. Problem could be though that you can't see it very well (or at all, possibly, depending on capture program) on the computer. You might want to look into something which allows you to send signal to the computer and tv.

If you want stills, you could take pictures, if you set up the settings (shutter speed, iso etc...) correctly you should get good results.

If I were to personally attempt to capture video/pics off my wii, I could use my Canopus ADVC-100. It'd allow me to send a signal via firewire to my computer as well as send a video out to my TV. I didn't buy it to capture video games, nor have I tried it, but it's tempting now that I think of it.

I have the Canopus ADV500 for my video editing studio. This thing is top of the line and works like a charm. Never used it for video game capture though, only for my Sony XD cameras, decks etc...

Sounds like I'm going to be doing some experimenting over the weekend!

thx guys... did some web research and i'm looking into buying a capture device that plugs into my firewire port... I don't want a PCI card because I want to be able to use it anywhere.... they look like they're around 200 bux for something that will convert the Wii's analog output into digital video input, on a computer in real time (basically the same as a card that lets you watch TV on your computer). But a box, rather than a card.

fyi: I'm really getting into the Mii art, and I've gone live with http://www.showmii.com. If any of you would like to contribute it would be awesome. So far there's just my gallery up, my 8 favorite Mii's. I'll start off just posting Miis of anyone who sends screenshots, and eventually build an index of celebs, with all the versions of the character that have been submitted, a voting system to decide which one is the best version, a 'best alltime' section, how-to pages with videos...

Can't wait til everyone opens their Wiis on Xmas morning, this thing is going to blow up huge!

Also, would anyone like to submit Miis to use on the logo at the top? The photography on mine are too low-quality to use for a logo.

-Chris

Cjv said:
thx guys... did some web research and i'm looking into buying a capture device that plugs into my firewire port... I don't want a PCI card because I want to be able to use it anywhere.... they look like they're around 200 bux for something that will convert the Wii's analog output into digital video input, on a computer in real time (basically the same as a card that lets you watch TV on your computer). But a box, rather than a card.

Exactly right. Just allows you to firewire these boxes to your computer that essentially are video cards (you can also get them for audio).

Method of Rhythm said:
I have the Canopus ADV500 for my video editing studio. This thing is top of the line and works like a charm. Never used it for video game capture though, only for my Sony XD cameras, decks etc...

Sounds like I'm going to be doing some experimenting over the weekend!

Curious if you ended up trying captue with the adv500? I just attempted it with my advc100 without success. It seems the PAL capture doesn't like the 60hz display and all I get is annoying flicker, only gamecube games selected at 50hz would display and capture alright it seems.

Back