SD card issues.

A_Kenrod

WiiChat Member
Nov 1, 2012
I recently bought an 8gb SDHC card in order to watch videos and such on my Wii, but it's not working. The Wii recognises I've inserted the card, but just says 'this card is not usable'. I've tried formatting it dozens of times, and it's definitely not locked. I've blown the SD slot free of dust and there's no obvious damage inside.

I've read a lot of similar threads on here, but most are outdated (they say SDHC cards aren't compatible, neither are 8gb cards of any sort, but the Nintendo site says they are supported now) or are different issues.

My Wii is too old to be able to sent back for repairs and the Nintendo site returns an error message when I try to ask them about it.

Thanks!

SDHC is supported, but I recall only certain brands of it work. Probably the same for standard SD. What's the brand of the card?

Also, while my sub-par memory isn't particularly detailed on the matter, I do believe hearing of some SD card compatibility issues with ones that have high capacity... Though said memories might just be a load'a lies, I couldn't say.

It's a SanDisk one. I found it on a list of supposedly compatible cards for Wii.

Yep, SanDisk definitely does work, I have one in the Wii myself. Have you formatted to FAT32? FAT16 may also be compatible.

Well, I'm on a Mac and my only FAT option is MS-DOS(FAT) so I don't know. Apparently it's the same as FAT32.

I checked it out on a Windows computer, it's definitely FAT32.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hm... I'm at a loss as how to fix the problem. A Google search of my own hasn't yielded any information in regards to SD card memory size limits. Can't say I can help with this issue, sorry friend. Hopefully someone else here has useful knowledge on the matter.

Back