SD Card rejected by wii?

glh92

WiiChat Member
Mar 16, 2008
I recently purchased a new Canon digital camera and I decided to get a 4GB PNY SD-HC card for it because it only works with the newer HC card's. What I want to know is, does it have to just be SD to accept it? It wouldn't seem logical considering HC is starting to appear more and more these days. Anyways thanks for any responses.

I think the Wii only support SD cards 2GB and lower. That's what a Nintendo Rep told me but this was long ago and maybe there has been an update to increase its compatibility.

glh92 said:
I recently purchased a new Canon digital camera and I decided to get a 4GB PNY SD-HC card for it because it only works with the newer HC card's. What I want to know is, does it have to just be SD to accept it? It wouldn't seem logical considering HC is starting to appear more and more these days. Anyways thanks for any responses.
2GB is the max.

However, this is a software limitation rather than a hardware limitation and will be fixed with an update at some point.

glh92 said:
I recently purchased a new Canon digital camera and I decided to get a 4GB PNY SD-HC card for it
That's your problem: you bought an SDHC card. The Wii uses SD. They are not the same.

SDHC devices can read/write SD cards. SD devices cannot read/write SDHC at all.

FRuMMaGe said:
this is a software limitation rather than a hardware limitation and will be fixed with an update at some point.
Don't hold your breath. Nintendo has never stated this. All it'd take for the Wii to play MP3s in the Photo Channel would be a "firmware update" but this is a feature Nintendo removed.

sremick said:
That's your problem: you bought an SDHC card. The Wii uses SD. They are not the same.

SDHC devices can read/write SD cards. SD devices cannot read/write SDHC at all.

Don't hold your breath. Nintendo has never stated this. All it'd take for the Wii to play MP3s in the Photo Channel would be a "firmware update" but this is a feature Nintendo removed.
Well I hope they update it. Just because it's not something most of my friends really knew about. I actually figured it took all SD type devices. But, eh, what can ya do. I can still use the sd card I have on it thats on my cell-phone so it's not really critical for me.

Considering how useless SD cards are right now when used with the Wii, there's no compelling reason for more than 2GB.

If Nintendo implemented memory expansion right, and made it seamless, then yes.

The Wii can only support 2GB or lower memory cards. And some don't work even if it is 2GB or lower.

Back