SD card's only use is photos?

eepiccolo

WiiChat Member
Oct 16, 2006
OK, so I'm a little annoyed at the current implementation of the memory card in the Wii. Sure, you can use it to view photos on the Wii and backup your save game data, but that's it. You can't access save game data on a SD card from within the game.

But I think the worst thing is that you can't access Virtual Console games if they're only on the memory card. You have to copy them to the internal memory to play them, which is where they were in the first place, and there's really no reason for you to back-up the data because Nintendo needs to "retrieve" it if your Wii breaks since it's tied to the console.

I think being able to store VC games on the SD card is probably the most needed feature, because it seems like VC games can end up taking a lot more space than save game data. I don't want to have to start manually swapping data between the card and the internal data to be able to play a game.

How did you get to copy game saves to your SD card? I need to know. I haven't done a firmware update.

Master Foot said:
How did you get to copy game saves to your SD card? I need to know. I haven't done a firmware update.
Under the Wii options, go to Data Management. You do it from there. Of course, it's only a backup; the game can't access files on a memory card. :mad5:

More game slots will open in ur wii as time comes buy, so i dont that there is an issue of space. But yeah SD cards should be used in a better way

the wii can play videos right? it uses a special wii-format? im not quite sure

sry for double post, cant delete :/

yes it can play movies. no it doesn't use a special format. good ol' regular quicktime .mov files play from SD cards. this leads me to believe it would also play MPG files but i'm not sure.

Back