SDs are not safe

Hylian

A New Legend Is REBORN!!
Mar 30, 2007
Volos, Greece
Wii Online Code
4222-0782-2494-5105
I've tried to copy my save files and downloaded wii stuff from my sd to my pc using the card reader.But it keeps saying that the sd needs a format. It just doesn't open it. What could i do? How can i backup my files? I'm a retro gamer, the wii flash drive just isn't enough!!What if i put the sd into my mobile and try via bluetooth?

if i were to guess, i'd say that the Wii format and the PC format are different. i dont think you are able to do what you are trying to attempt. the wii itself has 512MB?? of space and can support up to 2GB of SD space.

try formating it on PC, then try copying the files from the wii onto the SD card.

if it isnt formated to a PC, then it will always try to format it. just like taking it out of a digital camera and puting it in a card reader. sometimes it wants to format it, and even if you say no, you lose your pix.

The SD reader on your PC probably does not support newer high capacity sd cards. I get the same error when I try to use the newer cards from my camera and PDA in the slot built into my printer.

Don't forget that you can always delete the VC games from your Wii and download them again later at no additional cost.

Okay, now that I'm done laughing I must say, you just have to format the card to use it with your computer.

One reason you might be encountering this problem is that Wii apparantly uses its own proprietary format to format the SD card, which is unreadable on a computer. I think Nintendo did this to stop people from copying ROMs to their computers and try to break encryptions.

If you want to make more backups, I suggest you just use another SD card and have backups on two cards.

Also, as already stated, even if you lose the saved VC games, you can download them again at no additional cost.

Rest assured, the SD cards are completely safe and won't attack unless provoked! j/k :smilewinkgrin:

Last edited:
261311 said:
Okay, now that I'm done laughing I must say, you just have to format the card to use it with your computer.
If the card wasn't formatted, it wouldn't be working in the Wii.

Seriously, these are the rumors going around nowadays?

THERE IS NO POSSIBLE WAY TO BACK UP YOUR FILES ON THE NINTENDO WII. In fact, you can't even play games off of your SD Card. You can only use information that is saved onto your wii, however, you can keep excess information on your SD Card, swapping it onto your wii when you need to use it.

Thanx a lot for all of these useful info!My sd was formatted BEFORE i put it on the wii.So i guess i'll need a card-reader update or the wii transforms the sd to a different format,as some of u already said.

It shouldn't be giving you trouble, all it takes is to format the 2gig SD (well that my size, and should not matter) to FAT32 type partition and thats is it, does not need a special kind of format. Hell I back up my retro games, attach the SD to my computer and then back them up again to my NAS Network Attached RAID Array then remove it off the SD, to make more room. Takes no time. :D If you do a few searches you can find out how to do this if you are unfamiliar with the possess, but I can tell you how if you would like. :)

Last edited:
A_Str8 said:
If the card wasn't formatted, it wouldn't be working in the Wii.

And some how it's only responding to the Wii's memory, in which case the card is locked and needs to be formatted for hopes of using it on a computer.

Hylian - I'm not sure if a simple update would make it compatible, but I didn't tryi it, so maybe. It's worth a try. If you have a camera, phone or PDA that connects to your computer and supports SDHC, you can use that as a makeshift card reader - that's what I've been doing.

261311 said:

And some how it's only responding to the Wii's memory, in which case the card is locked and needs to be formatted for hopes of using it on a computer.

The Wii reads and writes to FAT32
Most SD cards come preformatted wih FAT32
If a card is working in the Wii, it is safe to assume the card is formatted with FAT32

I know from experience that older card readers can see SDHC cards as unformatted which is why instead of posting a sarcastic reply to the OP I suggested his reader might be incompatible.

I think it's safe to assume that his card is fine but not supported by the reader he is using.

Hylian said:
What if i put the sd into my mobile and try via bluetooth?

I'll do that.I just hope the SD won't be formatted by the cell phone in a different way.

SD cards are great idea for the wii, they can be read and edited by a computer,(like game saves), and be used by other peices of technology.(phones may be).

Back