Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Secrets to Netgear WPN824 Wi-Fi Router

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Online' started by Wingsy, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Wingsy

Wingsy WiiChat Member

To make a very long story short, this is what I did to my Netgear router to make it finally work with my Wii. Maybe someone with a similar setup & problem will find this helpful.

Using a browser on your Mac or PC, enter "http://192.168.1.1" into the URL to get into the router. Once you get into the router's web server, use "admin" for user name and leave the password blank. (This will work unless someone has changed it from the default.)

In the left column, click "WAN Setup". Note the "MTU" value.

In the left column, click "Wireless Settings". For the Wireless Network:Mode setting, insure that "g only" is selected, and change the channel from 6 to 11. If you changed anything, be sure to click the "Apply" button at the bottom before leaving this screen.

Go back to your Wii and go to network settings. I don't have a Wii in front of me right now and my memory isn't all that great, so I can't tell you how exactly to get to it, but what you're looking for is a Wii screen that shows the "MTU" number. Poke around... you'll find it. Change the MTU to the number you noted from your router. (My MTU in the Wii was "0" and I changed it to "1492".)

Once I did these things my Wii passed the connection tests, and I downloaded the updates and browsed around for a bit on the web, so it seems to be holding a connection.

Hope this helps someone.

2. phillepino

phillepino SSBB Name = JAA!

Wii Friend Code: 5481-6878-4567-7796
    5481-6878-4567-7796
    thanks i got the same router as you!

hopefully nothn troublesome will I encounter as i install this router...

If there is, ill drop by and look at ur tips ^^

3. cougfamily

cougfamily WiiChat Member

I have the same router as you and read on the Nintendo website that this particular router will not work with wii wi-fi unless you disable the firefall. Did you have to do this? Or are you saying that your "hint" is the way around that problem? Thanks for your help.

4. chsoriano

chsoriano WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 2361-7492-7880-5734
    2361-7492-7880-5734
    I have this router, and you don't have to disable the firewall, in fact I've never had to change the MTU settings to make it work either.

As for changing the channel to 11, that has helped in my case, it seemed to make the connection faster.