Seeking confirmation on photochannel functionality

Samster

Slave to the Wind
Nov 6, 2006
London, England
Hi All,

None of my devices use SD cards. My big digital SLR uses Compact Flash (CF) and my smaller camera uses SmartMedia storage.

My question is, if I were to use a memory card converter, specifically one that converts any media format to USB - will the Wii import images to the PhotoChannel via it's USB port?

If it doesn't, then my only option (aside from copying from CF to the PC and back again onto SD) is to get a CompactFlash shell that takes SD, then use that in the SLR - problem being that using the adaptor usually knocks out the installed drivers on the device meaning far slower transfer rates at USB1.1 instead of USB2. A full 2GB CF card takes 5 minutes via USB2 and 30 minutes via USB1.1 !!!

Anyone able to confirm if images can be taken in via the USB port? All I've read so far is that the dual USB on the Wii are powered and can charge external devices, but can they actually do anything more at this stage?

Not at the moment, maybe nintendo will have an update later that will enable it? Who knows?

Oh yeah, on Frys.com there is a 2GB SD card for $19.95 w/free shipping. Well that was like 4 days ago, it might still be there.

Samster said:
using the adaptor usually knocks out the installed drivers on the device meaning far slower transfer rates at USB1.1 instead of USB2. A full 2GB CF card takes 5 minutes via USB2 and 30 minutes via USB1.1 !!!
Take the card out of the adapter. There aren't actually any drivers installed on any device itself, just information on which driver to get. The adapter is probably just 1.1 compatible, the card would be 2.0. However, no the Wii does not support USB for picture transfers (the only thing confirmed for USB is the ethernet adapter)

Back