Sega Dreamcast VC?

codeking

Computer Nerd, not Geek
Nov 16, 2006
Would they ever make a VC for dreamcast? probably not, the games might be a little to big. I think downloading sonic adventure, skies of arcadia, or toy commander would be cool.

Your right, Dreamcast might be a bit too big, but I wouldn't mind seeing all other consoles getting the VC treatment. Like I posted with Atari, you could also ad the Intellivision, Commodore 64, Sega Mastersystem... I'm sure I'm missing a few. What about playing GB games with a bit better graphics? That would be cool also.

It would be really hard to emulate the Dreamcast because when you emulate a console you have to emulate the hardware using software.
Software is not very efficient at running hardware emulation so as a result console emulations tend to be about 2 generations behind the current consoles. I'm not saying its impossible.. just really quite hard.

P.S. I have a Dreamcast and I love it to bits. Ikaruga on the Dreamcast \m/

MetroidZ said:
theres a good ps2 emulator now, and the dreamcast has been out for some time.

I was talking about using the Wii Hardware. 6th Generation consoles (ie Dreamcast or PS2 etc) can be emulated on PC's without too much trouble

well.... what about the Saturn? not that it was a great console or anything, but Panzer Dragon and Knights(or whatever that game was called) were cool. kinda. but u know, just to add another console to the rep.

considering the Wii has about 512 MB of internal memory for storing VC games, and you can insert up to 2GB SD, I'm doubtful they'll have DC games unless they can figure out some way to compress it in some way.

considering the Wii has about 512 MB of internal memory for storing VC games, and you can insert up to 2GB SD, I'm doubtful they'll have DC games unless they can figure out some way to compress it in some way.

CDs can only hold 700MB and most game don't use up the whole disk, so a 2GB memory card should store 2-3 dreamcast games.

Ashex said:

Wait a second...So what you're saying is that the 4 and 8 gig SD cards won't work on the Wii?

White Knight said:
Wait a second...So what you're saying is that the 4 and 8 gig SD cards won't work on the Wii?

I can't really say, you can try it though!

fyi, Nintendo has not mentioned a limit to the SD card size as of yet.

White Knight said:
Dreamcast games did not use CD-ROM's, they used GD-ROMs, which hold 1.2 gigs, almost twice the size of a CD-ROM.

Dreamcast

GD-ROM

SEGA didn't use a very efficient compression algorithm for the games so its perfectly possible to compress a Dreamcast game down to fit on a CD-R (700Mb). I know - I have a Dreamcast and compressed and burned games onto CD-Rs to play on my Dreamcast (Which, BTW, doesn't need to be modded in any way to play CD-R's O_O )

what about an emulater on vc that plays dreamcast disks so you dont need to download them, but would sega saturn be easier?? with this idea it would add loads of games to the wii and sega would make some money

Back