Sega Dreamcast VC?

uk_louis_1986 said:
what about an emulater on vc that plays dreamcast disks so you dont need to download them, but would sega saturn be easier?? with this idea it would add loads of games to the wii and sega would make some money

You would need to install a laser reading head that could read CD's to do that.
The Saturn was pretty much a failure so I doubt they will have an VC Saturn games due to low demand (BTW, I have a Saturn)

twinchargers said:
Your right, Dreamcast might be a bit too big, but I wouldn't mind seeing all other consoles getting the VC treatment. Like I posted with Atari, you could also ad the Intellivision, Commodore 64, Sega Mastersystem... I'm sure I'm missing a few. What about playing GB games with a bit better graphics? That would be cool also.
Sega 32x..... Knuckles Chaotix!!!

Have y'all ever noticed the sounds from the Wii menu? Sound EXACTLY like the Dreamcast menu. (Some of the sounds, not all though). Interesting...

codeking said:
CDs can only hold 700MB and most game don't use up the whole disk, so a 2GB memory card should store 2-3 dreamcast games.

Actually the Dreamcast used a proprietary format that could hold 900-1200mb. GD-ROM. And emulation isn't completely out of the picture, especially with the GPU in the system, and having a closed development setup makes it much easier to develop for a system, rather than a PC. I would say that we could very well see a DC VC, especially with the support of SEGA, that would be awesome! And if they could allow you to put games onto your SD cards, and just redownload them w/o having to re-pay for them, that would be intense!

I would love it if dreamcast games came to the virtual console.

Why did the dreamcast go bust anyway? It was such an amazing console with great graphics; specially for its time. And remember the really cool little computer memory card thing you got which plugged into the controller.

I think I am salvivating over the prospect that Shenmue 1 and 2 will be coming to the Wii.

Nice! And how about SPAWN & that fighters game where you and a partner fight evil but then have to fight each other? What was that called again?

personally, i loved saturn...
i was kinda a late bloomer as far as video games, so it was my first system..

then my mom went to get it "fixed" and brought back a playstation..

needless to say i was pissed

..just figured id throw that in

toggle said:
Why did the dreamcast go bust anyway?

The following two reasons are commonly refered to as the two most likely reasons for the Dreamcast flopping.

1 - The Sony Hype Machine - The amount of hype that Sony was putting out about the PS2 kinda overshaddowed the Dreamcast and most people decided to wait for the PS2

2 - Piracy. 99% of Dreamcasts can, with out being modded AT ALL, run CD-R's. This ment that all people had to do was burn the games onto a CD and pop it in their Dreamcast. This made a HUGE impact on SEGA because the profit they would have been getting from games sales was really low.

End of the day, after the failing of the Saturn and the Dreamcast SEGA realised that their strengths lay elsewhere, in software and arcade machines.
SEGA are a world leader in Arcade machines. If you go down to you're local arcade and play some machines chances are you're playing SEGA machines.

Cabe said:
The following two reasons are commonly refered to as the two most likely reasons for the Dreamcast flopping.

1 - The Sony Hype Machine - The amount of hype that Sony was putting out about the PS2 kinda overshaddowed the Dreamcast and most people decided to wait for the PS2

2 - Piracy. 99% of Dreamcasts can, with out being modded AT ALL, run CD-R's. This ment that all people had to do was burn the games onto a CD and pop it in their Dreamcast. This made a HUGE impact on SEGA because the profit they would have been getting from games sales was really low.

End of the day, after the failing of the Saturn and the Dreamcast SEGA realised that their strengths lay elsewhere, in software and arcade machines.
SEGA are a world leader in Arcade machines. If you go down to you're local arcade and play some machines chances are you're playing SEGA machines.

There are still arcades? :) Seriously, I haven't seen an arcade in years. I miss the days when everyone swarmed to the arcades to play SFII and MK.

Ah thats a huge shame,

I would love it if Sony gave another attempt at consoles but this time learning from their mistakes.

Sony for their time produces the most innovative and graphically enchanced consoles.

Im tempted to go out and buy a second hand dreamcast in my lunch break today.
Shenmue was an awesome game, so was sonic adventures.

Cabe said:

I didn't know that. Sony sucks! Although the ps2 was better than the dreamcast we never got to see the dreamcast's full potential. SEGA have themselves to blame too, such a mistake cost them big. I feel sorry for them, but I didn't really like most of their games.

The life and times of the Dreamcast.

toggle said:
I would love it if dreamcast games came to the virtual console.

Why did the dreamcast go bust anyway? It was such an amazing console with great graphics; specially for its time. And remember the really cool little computer memory card thing you got which plugged into the controller.

I think I am salvivating over the prospect that Shenmue 1 and 2 will be coming to the Wii.

The Dreamcast was the victim of hype. The looming specter of the PS2 significantly reduced the sales of the Dreamcast. Many consumers didn't want to buy the Dreamcast because Sony intelligently released specs and, info regarding the PS2 slightly before the Dreamcast launched. With DVD becoming an increasingly popular format, and the PS2 being the first console to have DVD support built-in swayed a lot of people into waiting for the PS2. This made a big impact on the longevity of the Dreamcast. DVD would eventually become the choice for developers, and consumers alike. Eventually piracy came into the scene and had some impact on increasing the life-span of the Dreamcast, but in the end the long history of bad timing with system launches along with inferior hardware in their consoles ended up being the final nail in the coffin for Sega's home hardware division. I'm a long time Sega fan and it saddened me deeply when they announced they would no longer be producing consoles. Sega still develops some of the most entertaining and innovative games for all systems, so there is light at the end of this tunnel!

Last edited:
The dreamcast was a really innovative console at the time. First console to do the internet properly straight out of the box for one thing (it wasnt great but did the job).

The VMU was another great little idea that they didnt do enough with.

But as said above the Playstation 2 basically just battered it to death with the all conquering Sony hype machine. Saying that pretty much every console since the PS2 up to the 360 has been battered by the PS2.

I miss SEGA consoles even if they did have an unhealthy obsession with producing needless peripherals all the time.

toggle said:
Ah thats a huge shame,

I would love it if Sony gave another attempt at consoles but this time learning from their mistakes.

Sony for their time produces the most innovative and graphically enchanced consoles.

Im tempted to go out and buy a second hand dreamcast in my lunch break today.
Shenmue was an awesome game, so was sonic adventures.

R U drunk or something? You must mean SEGA! not Sony since those bastads are pushing out the PS3 right now.

Back