Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

SEGA exec: Wii to look "dated", PS3 to win

Discussion in 'Playstation Consoles' started by Wii&Ps3, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Wii&Ps3

Wii&Ps3 Banned

http://www.psu.com/node/11686

2. Mr.Selfdestruct

Mr.Selfdestruct Wii-Tard

Wii Friend Code: 5234-2961-1879-5832
    5234-2961-1879-5832
    Wishful thinking.

3. Wii&Ps3

Wii&Ps3 Banned

I agree with the guy. The wii remote is a novelty. I think they should have stayed with a normal controller, and made the wiimote as an accessory. They could have hit a much larger target audience.

4. DBloke

DBloke The last original
    Staff Member

Wii Friend Code: 8041-7231-3447-6164
    8041-7231-3447-6164
    The wiimote is a novelty that pays off
    Its a shame that no companys know how to use it right yet

Like the PS3 the wii needs some killer apps

5. redwagon76

redwagon76 WiiChat Member

I agree with prinny, the guy says developer's will continue to get better at developing the graphics for the ps3 and 360 but ignores the opportunity to do the same with gameplay mechanics for the wiimote. I think with the popularity of the Wii (people still can't buy it without hunting) that developers have missed a huge opportunity to sell a lot of software and they will start to rectify that (SEGA excluded). If a developer put some serious thought and creativity into new gameplay techniques, they could turn a game into something more then "just a gimmick". Twilight Princess was awesome and they were just beginning to explore the remote. I don't want to sound like a fanboy but I really do think the Wii could go far if people stop complaining and start working.

6. GamerCon

GamerCon WiiChat Member

Its not that they dont know how to use it, its the fact they do. Wii games will start having the cube controller as an option and i cant wait. Playing games and having to constantly point the remote at the tv starts to become a pain and after a minute or two i just rest my arm on my leg, wishing i had a normal controller. Honestly, what could they do different with FPS's? Nothing really. If i had a choice, i wouldnt use the remote.

7. redwagon76

uhhhh hahahahaha, sorry but that makes me laugh. That's the laziest thing I've ever heard. Unfortunately hardcore gamers usually lead a sedentary lifestyle and a couple of grams might be too much for them. Most Wii owners are casual gamers and probably won't faint at the thought of pointing.

8. DBloke

DBloke The last original
    Staff Member

8041-7231-3447-6164
    <<<Dosent give a rats arse about how shiny or how meny indevidual hairs on a persons head you cat get

My most played game at the mow is some two the same color bubble game on my phone
    Not exactly cutting edge graphics

9. GamerCon

GamerCon WiiChat Member

People that play the Wii for ten to twenty seconds, yea they wont mind the remote. People that like to play games will want to use a normal controller. For me, ive never needed motion to get into a game. If you did, its not a very good game. Implementing multiple controller options shows the remote is not suitable for all game types.

10. DBloke

DBloke The last original
    Staff Member

8041-7231-3447-6164
    True
    But the wiimote makes more sencne if used for sports games and shooters
    Where as for rpgs, platformers and such pads will do

Fighting games pad unless there throw the eyes (wiimote in each hand)

11. GamerCon

GamerCon WiiChat Member

To make more sense, they should have made a new controller and used the remote as an extra.

Even for shooters, im probably lazy but, i feel more control with analog sticks. Then its better with kb and mouse.

I didnt like MK on Wii, i dont care much for MK anyways but it was worse with remote.

12. Shiftfallout

Shiftfallout shiftfallout.com

I have to agree here (with myself lol), the Wiimote is a novelty. Its a fun novelty, but its still a noveltly none the less. Nintendo realizes that it is a gimmick used to help pike interest in their console, and theres nothing wrong with that. However, I find myself getting bored and going back to other games not on the wii. Why is this? because the wii, in its simplicity has limited itself with its capabilities. They could do a lot more with the wiimote im sure, but the problem comes down to hard ware. The wii is an ultra cheap system running off of a 700mhz cpu. You wont find next gen gaming on that system. It limits what kind of gameplay is possible, and with the wiimote, the lack of input in some areas makes it difficult to bring other sorts of gameplay into the fray.

Ultimately, its a goof off system that wears off after a bit, but for real gaming, the gaming that was around in the snes days, and the PS days, is not to be had on the Wii, but consoles like the 360 and PS3.

I am a gamer. Nintendo created a toy, not a game machine. Toys are fun to fool around with, but in the end the game machines are what keeps you coming back.

People do not quite realize that most game developers see the wii as merely an easy source of revinue, not as a system to create their best games for. The wii is a quick fix, nothing wrong with that either. But that quick fix is temporary, where the long term fix will be found else where.

#12 Shiftfallout, Jun 16, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2007
  13. Sovieto

Sovieto Banned

theres not much to agree with
    its basically a fact that the wiimote is a novelty
    it becomes second hand before you know it and then youre really not wowed by what youre doing
    i think this guy is extremely right.

14. redwagon76

I think it's crazy how quickly you guys write off this thing. I'm not saying the games out now, for the most part, aren't gimmicky. Of course they are. But the argument lies in where the gimmick lies. I truly think that with a lot of creative thinking developers could come up with something great. It's new, not bad. I stopped playing games because they have been the same since the NES. Prettier, yes, but the same.
    I think the real problem is lazy thinking on the developers part.

15. Sovieto

Sovieto Banned

yes but EVEN with good games the wii remote dosent make it uber special in any way because its what youre use to.

16. redwagon76

I must be missing something, that doesn't make any sense to me.

17. GamerCon

GamerCon WiiChat Member

What hes saying is, in a year the remote wont be very innovative cause by then anything you could do with it would have been done. I think they will have more varaity useing the GC controller. The remote will get stale.

18. Jay61

Jay61 WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 4116-4612-5453-3059
    4116-4612-5453-3059
    Sega know everything, thats why their consoles doing so well. Oh shi-

Seriously though, come back SEGA. Oh and be good again please.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Sovieto

Sovieto Banned

yup:yesnod: , and even if they do come out with some new way to play that is oh so fun, history shows it will only be fun for a short period of time before it just becomes "how you play"

lmao that was a great first line

20. Shiftfallout

Shiftfallout shiftfallout.com

sega is a well known third party developer. The future of these consoles depend on third party stupport. Lets see if your smart enough to put 1 and 2 together Jay.

btw, the sega dreamcast was an amazing console, far beyond its time. Why did it fail? it lacked third party support. I think sega has a lot more say due to actual experience that you make them out to seem.